Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did your Honda Dealer tell any of you about this?

Old 05-26-2003, 03:54 PM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

I replaced my rears at 15000 theres a 4 degree camber back there and the SO2's are about the stickiest tire out there...I knew that going in ...my honda sales person pointed it out...try going up to S03's I here they are a little harder and have a longer treat life...you bought a sports car....the cambers part of what makes it play so well....
fltsfshr
Old 05-26-2003, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa, guys:

There is nothing I know of that's wrong with the Honda. As for Bridgestone, when some on this board are reporting 34,000 miles when they drive very fast, and others report wear out at 6,000 miles when they baby their cars, what other assumptions are there other than one or more defective batch of tires?

And, when I bought my car, these reports were not around for me to see. Had they been, I would have thrown something different into the deal. Take off the OEMs before I take delivery, and put on a set of something else I would furnish.

And what did I expect. Well, I didn't expect the 60,000 miles I got from the OEM Bridgestones on my RX 7, but I did expect the 25,000 miles or so I got on my GTO some 39 years ago! Two ply rayons, for heaven's sake!

What's this got to do with safety? Read Mus's post. These tires wear mostly on the inside, where it isn't apparent. And you didn't see the 10K tires with exposed steel belts where the tread once was, as I did at my dealer. Nobody these days expects tires to go bald with exposed belts at 6k to 10k. (by the way, such tires aren't safe!)

So I'm committing libel against Bridgestone? I'll go one step further. Anybody who sells a tire intended for use on the public streets that can't hold its tread for 10K is selling an inherently defective product that should be recalled UNLESS they properly inform the customer of this situation. I was told nothing of the kind, and this board wasn't around when I bought my car.

There is a problem here, and it is not me.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-26-2003, 04:03 PM

Whoa, guys:

There is nothing I know of that's wrong with the Honda. As for Bridgestone, when some on this board are reporting 34,000 miles when they drive very fast, and others report wear out at 6,000 miles when they baby their cars, what other assumptions are there other than one or more defective batch of tires?

And, when I bought my car, these reports were not around for me to see. Had they been, I would have thrown something different into the deal. Take off the OEMs before I take delivery, and put on a set of something else I would furnish.

And what did I expect. Well, I didn't expect the 60,000 miles I got from the OEM Bridgestones on my RX 7, but I did expect the 25,000 miles or so I got on my GTO some 39 years ago! Two ply rayons, for heaven's sake!

What's this got to do with safety? Read Mus's post. These tires wear mostly on the inside, where it isn't apparent. And you didn't see the 10K tires with exposed steel belts where the tread once was, as I did at my dealer. Nobody these days expects tires to go bald with exposed belts at 6k to 10k. (by the way, such tires aren't safe!)

So I'm committing libel against Bridgestone? I'll go one step further. Anybody who sells a tire intended for use on the public streets that can't hold its tread for 10K is selling an inherently defective product that should be recalled UNLESS they properly inform the customer of this situation. I was told nothing of the kind, and this board wasn't around when I bought my car.

There is a problem here, and it is not me.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-26-2003, 04:05 PM

Sorry for the double post.
Old 05-26-2003, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by dolebludger
My Honda dealer told me that the alignment is set up in such a manner that the insides naturally wear more than the outsides.
True. Did he/she/it check the alignment? He/she/it might be a foocking idiot and doesn't have a clue how to check, let alone conduct a proper all wheel alignment of an S2000. just a thought .

I understand your frustration with lack of miles on your S02s. I would be a little hot under the collar myself.

Good Luck
Old 05-26-2003, 04:56 PM

PWRMKR:

Yes, the Honda dealer did check the alignment the day after I discovered what I thought to be undue wear. I believe this is a good dealer, with a very good service department. I wouldn't take an s2k to just some "yo-yo" mechanic for an alignment (or much else for that matter). They checked it and said it was perfect. And the wear didn't look like misalignment wear. Except for the slightly increased inside wear (normal for the s2k because of the camber), the wear was even, with the back perhaps more worn than the front. While I didn't have wheel balance checked, I am well aware of how a car drives with one or more tires out of balance, and my s2k has never performed like that. Moreover, balance wear causes "cupping" and my tires show none of that. And again, I regularly check ALL my cars for tire inflation, and add air when needed very easily with my compressor.

I'm not as much "hot under the collar" as trying to solve a mystery. Jim and Alex will sell me a new set of tires that I may like even better for about $360, and if that's the biggest problem I have, my life is pretty problem free!

And the mystery is that many like you report GOOD mileage with the S 02s (considering that they are street sports car tires), while many others report very sorry tread mileage (even if they were competition tires, which they are not.) Now if we were ALL getting 6k to 12k out of these OEM tires, there would be no mystery. If we ALL got 25k to 35k miles, there would be no mystery. There are really only two possibilities here. Either some posters are lying (I don't think so), or we have a bunch of S 02s out there with defective rubber compound (which, unfortunately, I suspect).

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-26-2003, 05:24 PM

Guess I'm in the same boat - low mileage. This set with SO3's I got just over 5000 miles. Same with the last 2 sets of rears. The fronts are till just fine with not much wear evident. I don't drive too hard either. In any case, a new set of rears tomorow. Wish the fronts would wear out so I could go to something different like Yokos. BTW, alignment has been checked a couple times. Most recently 2 weeks ago. 1.03 camber, and 5/16ths toe.

Capn Yos
Old 05-26-2003, 05:30 PM

Just a thought.... But when driving previous hot rods with a posi rearend, they would eat tires cornering. Maybe some of us have a little tighter differentials that is causing the premature tire wear, or maybe some of us that have that problem corner more than others.......Just a Thought........
Old 05-26-2003, 05:41 PM

Capn and Fastrack:

Good theories, except for the fact that my front tires aren't faring so well either.

Thanks,
Richard
Old 05-26-2003, 05:48 PM

I have a 2002.
I was not told by the dealer that tires have a short life and the they also have poor wet weather handling charateristics.

I got 6k miles out of all 4 of my SO'2s. I do drive the car aggressively and I did auto-x the car during this time period. I didn't care for the tires once I did drive around on them for a few thousand miles.

I think the side walls are way to stiff and induce oversteer, because there is not enough side wall give in the design of the tire. I went to Yoko AVS intermediates and got 6K out of the rears and I still have 60-70% tread left on the fronts.

I also think that japansese engineers are obsessed with rear wheel drifting and have engineered the car to do so and had bridgestone engineer tires to do so.

This is my opinion and based of the handling characteristics of the car and the design of the tire, a 225 that has the contact patch that exceeds all other 245/45 tires in the market place. I also say this because the rear sway bar is larger than the front, this also induces oversteer. This may lead to the feed back from other owners that are having their rear tires wearing faster than the fronts. I am in this category. I have replaced 3 sets of rears in 17K miles of use.

Over inflating the rears will burn up the centers of the tires quicker. I tried this with the AVS intermediates and I had plenty of inner and outer tread after 6k miles, but I had to replace them.

With all of that said, I love the car. I have also changed suspension and upgraded the front sway bar to a solid sway bar. I have the car currently set up with a more nuetral handling. I can control understeer/oversteer with a click of a knob.

Maybe my tires will last longer now.... maybe. Cause my driving style won't change.

my statements made, are my opinion and tire use is factual to my current set up and driving style.

Quick Reply: Did your Honda Dealer tell any of you about this?