Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many new S-02s would I need for my situation ?

Old 04-25-2005, 06:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up How many new S-02s would I need for my situation ?

At this time, all 2 rear S-02s on the car have around the same amount of tread wear, which is about a third of the way gone (so I have about two-thirds to go). The 2 fronts are about two-thirds of the way gone (so I have about a third to go). I was planning on using them and replacing them all at the same time (figured that all 4 would wear out to completion at around the same time since the rears wear out faster). However, last fall, the right rear tire hit a big metal screw and the tire guy patched the tire as best as he could, but air was still leaking out. The first time he did it, all of the air was emptied within a day. The second time, it was much better and air stayed in the tire for about 2 weeks until I had to refill again. He said there was nothing more he could do as the hole was pretty large. So I decided to just remember to refill every 2 weeks instead of buying new tire(s). Though currently, the tire is losing air every 2 days (appears the hole is getting larger again).

It is obvious I need a new S-02 for the right rear. The question is, can I replace just that one tire, or should I replace both rears? Or would I have to be more extreme and replace all 4 so there wouldn't be any funny handling (keep in mind the amount of tread I have on all 4)? Obviously money is a concern, but if need be, I guess I will have to buy 2 (or 4) S-02s. If I only replaced that right rear, would the car handle strangely? I would imagine after the tire is worn in after 200 miles, it shouldn't be that bad. It's just that it would have been nice to replace all 4 later on, now I'll end up replacing just 3 later on (since the new one would be still good). Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace them both. Having one new tire and one old tire on the rears will create a odd torque steer type of feeling. Since You'd be replacing the RR, it will have a bigger diameter than the LR. When you hit the gas, even lightly to maintain your current speed, the car will push to the left slightly. But when decelerating (engine braking), the car will veer right because of the off tires and the fact that you have the steering wheel slightly turned to the right to counteract the left push when on throttle. Its a very weird feeling hen this happens.

Added--> I had this situation with a 1/2 wore S02 and one new one. Your car's push would be worse with even more material gone from the older tire.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear tires would also be spinning and different speeds while going in a straight line which could potentially burn up your LSD. Just replace both the rears now.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys - I just ordered 2 rear S-02s from Jim.