Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires on my car...

Old 10-18-2012, 08:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New tires on my car...

Hello,
I just bought a new set of BFG Sport Comp 2 tires for my S2000, and I'm not sure if I like them or not. They seem to grip well, but the steering response is not as tight as it was with the original tires. But, it also rides a bit nicer, not as rough. I'm guessing these two things go together. I'm just wondering if I will be able to take corners like I did with the Bridgestones.

Any ideas?

Thanks much.

Brian
Old 10-18-2012, 11:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As a general rule a worn out tire won't ride as nice as it did when it was new. So replacing the original Bridgestones with the same tire would have given you a better ride than the old ones. Maybe not as cush as the BFGs, I haven't tried them.

On the handling side I've tried a bunch of tires and never found any that handled better than the stock Bridgestones (not including R compound for obvious reasons). The Bridgestones were made specifically for the S2000, presumably after a LOT of testing. The RE050 sidewalls are stiffer than any other tires I've tried, which gives them crisp steering response. And the width and diameter don't screw up the handling and rollout.

A lot of people bash on the RE050 because of the cost or because they don't fit into their hellaflush fashion statement. But as far as pure performance and feel they are my favorite tire for the street.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:41 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

what are your alignment specs?

Going from RE050s to GFS Comp2s would be a noticeable decrease in traction and sidewall rigidity. It's a higher treadwear tire, and has less grip than the tires you had. They will last a good bit longer though on the plus side.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by s2ka
As a general rule a worn out tire won't ride as nice as it did when it was new. So replacing the original Bridgestones with the same tire would have given you a better ride than the old ones. Maybe not as cush as the BFGs, I haven't tried them.

On the handling side I've tried a bunch of tires and never found any that handled better than the stock Bridgestones (not including R compound for obvious reasons). The Bridgestones were made specifically for the S2000, presumably after a LOT of testing. The RE050 sidewalls are stiffer than any other tires I've tried, which gives them crisp steering response. And the width and diameter don't screw up the handling and rollout.

A lot of people bash on the RE050 because of the cost or because they don't fit into their hellaflush fashion statement. But as far as pure performance and feel they are my favorite tire for the street.
Wow, wish I had known that. Oh well, they are okay for now. I do like the fact that these will last a bit longer, and I think they look better than the originals. Perhaps next time I'll go back to the Bridgestones. By the way, what is a RE050? And what is an R compound? I don't know technical language for cars, just airplanes. I had the tire dealer do an alignment, and it drives really nice. Don't have any idea what specs they used. Probably whatever Honda recommends.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Bridgestone RE050 are the OEM AP2 (2004 and later) S2000 tires. They are OK tires but way overpriced. Some people really like them because honda tuned the suspension on them, but anyone that does any serious autocross or track days will tell you there are better options in that category (200 treadwear and less, extreme performance summer tires)

The Dunlop Star Spec is probably the best street tire for maximum, non-competition performance. That said, your tires will definitely last longer than either, and should perform decently. The responsiveness will go up after 500 or so miles, this happens with all tires. Some people may mention a few other extreme performance tires that are as good/better than the star spec (i.e Hankook RS3, Yokohama AD08, Bridgestone RE-11, Toyo R1R, Kumho XS), and once you look at that tier or tire, it really is preference, but the Star spec gives (in my opinion which is a common one) the best mix of wet, dry, hot, cool, etc... grip for the best price, the others tend to be more specialized (i.e. its hard to beat the RS3 when its really hot on dry pavement), or more expensive (i.e. Bridgestone RE-11)

Your tire is in the 300ish treadwear, high performance category. This category has less grip and less responsiveness than the category mentioned above. But they last longer, give a better ride, are cheaper (usually) and still give respectable street performance. I don't know a whole lot about the BFG Comp 2, but what I have heard has been fairly positive.

R-compound tires are tires designed almost exclusively for the track, but are given just enough of a tread to be DOT approved. That DOT approval is the biggest difference between the top R-compound tires and racing slicks

For reference I have tried many different tires in many different categories for many different purposes. presently, on my S2000, I use Continental ExtremeContact DW for daily driving and most street use. These are in the same category as your BFG's, some people dont like their softer sidewall, but with some extra PSI I have bee happy with them and they are practically miracle tires in the wet, while giving me enough dry grip to enjoy a spirited drive on a winding road, lasting a respectable amount of time, and a smoother (relative term, I am on pretty stiff suspension for autocross) ride for commuting/cruising. For autocross and if I am going on a trip specifically for twisty roads, I have another set of wheels with Hankook RS3's. But when I used 1 tire for both uses, I used Dunlop Star Specs.

P.S. What do you fly?
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by bronxbomber252
Bridgestone RE050 are the OEM AP2 (2004 and later) S2000 tires. They are OK tires but way overpriced. Some people really like them because honda tuned the suspension on them, but anyone that does any serious autocross or track days will tell you there are better options in that category (200 treadwear and less, extreme performance summer tires)

The Dunlop Star Spec is probably the best street tire for maximum, non-competition performance. That said, your tires will definitely last longer than either, and should perform decently. The responsiveness will go up after 500 or so miles, this happens with all tires. Some people may mention a few other extreme performance tires that are as good/better than the star spec (i.e Hankook RS3, Yokohama AD08, Bridgestone RE-11, Toyo R1R, Kumho XS), and once you look at that tier or tire, it really is preference, but the Star spec gives (in my opinion which is a common one) the best mix of wet, dry, hot, cool, etc... grip for the best price, the others tend to be more specialized (i.e. its hard to beat the RS3 when its really hot on dry pavement), or more expensive (i.e. Bridgestone RE-11)

Your tire is in the 300ish treadwear, high performance category. This category has less grip and less responsiveness than the category mentioned above. But they last longer, give a better ride, are cheaper (usually) and still give respectable street performance. I don't know a whole lot about the BFG Comp 2, but what I have heard has been fairly positive.

R-compound tires are tires designed almost exclusively for the track, but are given just enough of a tread to be DOT approved. That DOT approval is the biggest difference between the top R-compound tires and racing slicks

For reference I have tried many different tires in many different categories for many different purposes. presently, on my S2000, I use Continental ExtremeContact DW for daily driving and most street use. These are in the same category as your BFG's, some people dont like their softer sidewall, but with some extra PSI I have bee happy with them and they are practically miracle tires in the wet, while giving me enough dry grip to enjoy a spirited drive on a winding road, lasting a respectable amount of time, and a smoother (relative term, I am on pretty stiff suspension for autocross) ride for commuting/cruising. For autocross and if I am going on a trip specifically for twisty roads, I have another set of wheels with Hankook RS3's. But when I used 1 tire for both uses, I used Dunlop Star Specs.

P.S. What do you fly?
Wow, lot's of good information, thanks. I fly an MD-80. You? I looked at the Star Specs, and they are a bit too blocky looking for me. I don't want something that looks too much like a racing tire. I really don't like the way most of the foreign tires look either. I just want the car to perform correctly, as it was so much fun to drive on the originals. I really don't care about price either. I know this car is expensive to maintain, and I don't mind paying for quality. But, if you think the Bridgestones are overpriced, I'm glad I got these instead. I wonder what makes the sidewalls firm up with usage? I just really loved the steering response with the old ones, but the ride is a bit better now on these. Thanks for the help!

Brian
Old 10-19-2012, 08:03 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Your BFGs and the Continentals are around $525, the Bridgestone RE050 (OEM tire) are $865. So $340 more for the set. For some people that's a deal breaker. For me I like the feel and performance and am not worried about a few hundred dollars over the life of the tires. I drive my S2000 a few times a week so it only racks up about 3k miles a year. At that rate the rear tires should last 5 years, the fronts will last long enough that they should be replaced due to age rather than wear.

So for me it's a difference of $5 per month for the tires I like versus a cheaper tire.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by s2ka
Your BFGs and the Continentals are around $525, the Bridgestone RE050 (OEM tire) are $865. So $340 more for the set. For some people that's a deal breaker. For me I like the feel and performance and am not worried about a few hundred dollars over the life of the tires. I drive my S2000 a few times a week so it only racks up about 3k miles a year. At that rate the rear tires should last 5 years, the fronts will last long enough that they should be replaced due to age rather than wear.

So for me it's a difference of $5 per month for the tires I like versus a cheaper tire.
Yes, I agree. I just looked on the Tire Rack website, and it shows the RE11's as the top pick for the S2000. Wish I had known that. I wonder if they have a return or exchange policy? I feel like I've changed the car's handling until they wear out.

Thanks.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kissthepilot
Originally Posted by bronxbomber252' timestamp='1350624283' post='22094050

P.S. What do you fly?
Wow, lot's of good information, thanks. I fly an MD-80. You? I looked at the Star Specs, and they are a bit too blocky looking for me. I don't want something that looks too much like a racing tire. I really don't like the way most of the foreign tires look either. I just want the car to perform correctly, as it was so much fun to drive on the originals. I really don't care about price either. I know this car is expensive to maintain, and I don't mind paying for quality. But, if you think the Bridgestones are overpriced, I'm glad I got these instead. I wonder what makes the sidewalls firm up with usage? I just really loved the steering response with the old ones, but the ride is a bit better now on these. Thanks for the help!

Brian
I'm a Navigator, I have my C-130H Checkride on Monday. Then I start HC-130P/N training in December.

The only complaints I have heard of regarding the RE-11's are that they are not as forgiving as other tires in that category, which is why most S2000 autox'ers don't use them. That said, if my memory serves, I think some track guys use and love them. Another tire to consider in the future is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They are pretty much equal to the RE050 in the dry, (so slightly below the RE-11/Star Spec/ETC...) But have less road noise, are quieter, last longer, and are better in the wet. I have never talked to anyone who doesn't love them.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by bronxbomber252
Originally Posted by kissthepilot' timestamp='1350626141' post='22094070
[quote name='bronxbomber252' timestamp='1350624283' post='22094050']

P.S. What do you fly?

Brian
I'm a Navigator, I have my C-130H Checkride on Monday. Then I start HC-130P/N training in December.

The only complaints I have heard of regarding the RE-11's are that they are not as forgiving as other tires in that category, which is why most S2000 autox'ers don't use them. That said, if my memory serves, I think some track guys use and love them. Another tire to consider in the future is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. They are pretty much equal to the RE050 in the dry, (so slightly below the RE-11/Star Spec/ETC...) But have less road noise, are quieter, last longer, and are better in the wet. I have never talked to anyone who doesn't love them.
[/quote]

Wow, so much to consider. I have had really good luck with Michelin's, but didn't consider them this time. Perhaps next time. What do you mean by forgiving? I just want the same or better performance as the OEM tires. And what does autocross mean? I miss the crisp turning I got with the originals.

So, now that I've ruined the handling, should I get new springs and swaybars? I just drive on the street and like to go fast in the corners. How about those bars that connect the strut towers together, or the X bars that go under the car? Do they really do any good?

Thanks

Quick Reply: New tires on my car...