Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

somebody please clear the issue of wheel offset ?

Old 02-10-2005, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+65 for the rear!!

Why are aftermarket S2000 wheel sizes coming with +50-55 offsets?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:53 PM
Banned

thanx batbite, that was a good explanation.

now answer this, can a wheels offset be customized from 45mm to lets say 65mm by a shop (not by manufacturer)?
Old 02-10-2005, 10:56 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I think some of what is confusing to NewCon is that the same offset can be achieved with varying spoke clearances to the brake caliper. You can have a wheel with a very deep dish lip and lower caliper clearance or a wheel with zero lip y mucho brake clearance while both having the same offset.
Offset implies nothing explicitly about the depth of the dish (although you can guess the general trend based on any given offset and width)
Old 02-10-2005, 11:22 PM
RT

Originally Posted by Nick Graves' date='Feb 10 2005, 08:47 AM
I am always utterly amazed that the effect of changing offset on steering geometry is ALWAYS ignored, and this car is supposed to be bought for its handling!

If the offset is reduced (so the wheel now sticks out of the wheel well more) this can overload the wheelbearings and produce unpleasant steering kickback. In the event of tyre failure, it increases the wrenching on the steering as it increses the leverage. VW used to go for a heavy offset so that their cars had more straight-line stability in such a case or in slippery conditions.

I guess for many people, cosmetic is everything and handling/ride/longevity mattes not a jot.
The intersection point of the Kingpin Inclination Axis and the tire contact patch is the specific effect you're referring to. I agree w/ you 100% that this spec should not be ignored when deciding to change offsets. However, I believe the S2000's high offset design requirements are different than those of the "Front Wheel Drive" high offset requirements that I think you are referring to (mid 70's water cooled VW's). The S2000 uses the high offset wheels to get longer control arms as a means of reducing geometry changes through the stroke of the suspension travel as opposed to the feeble attempt of centering the load on POS under-sized bearings that weren't designed to handle the thrust/bending loads on those Front Wheel Drive units (although the S2000 rear does use those POS bearings, at least Honda stacked two together to reduce the bending load).
All that being said, my after-market front wheels are the same as stock (as Honda designed it ) Why chance changing the intersection point of the Kingpin Inclination Axis if you are not expecting some sort of Gain to offset the Risk of fu<king something up is the way I approach the subject
Old 02-10-2005, 11:24 PM
RT

Originally Posted by New Concept' date='Feb 10 2005, 11:53 PM
thanx batbite, that was a good explanation.

now answer this, can a wheels offset be customized from 45mm to lets say 65mm by a shop (not by manufacturer)?
no, you'll machine off your lug nut seats (or at least make them real damn thin )
Old 02-11-2005, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by RT' date='Feb 11 2005, 12:22 AM
The intersection point of the Kingpin Inclination Axis and the tire contact patch is the specific effect you're referring to. I agree w/ you 100% that this spec should not be ignored when deciding to change offsets. However, I believe the S2000's high offset design requirements are different than those of the "Front Wheel Drive" high offset requirements that I think you are referring to (mid 70's water cooled VW's). The S2000 uses the high offset wheels to get longer control arms as a means of reducing geometry changes through the stroke of the suspension travel as opposed to the feeble attempt of centering the load on POS under-sized bearings that weren't designed to handle the thrust/bending loads on those Front Wheel Drive units
Honda did take the trouble to make sure the wheels were perfectly centered on the king pin axis. I think this does have to do with thrust loads, at least: the centering means that normal drag on the front wheels does not tend to turn them either outward (as would happen with wheels with less offset) or inward. While the load on one side of the car is normally balanced by the load on the other side even with other offsets, the lack of such loads may contribute to the sharpness of the S2000's steering; also, it means that the steering will not tend to pull one way or the other when one goes over a bump with only one of the front wheels.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:05 PM

So would I have any problems with a 18x7.5 wheel with a +45 offset?