Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock seats and no harness, will I still benefit from 200 tread tires?

Old 10-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I mean you could always go with a set of Michelin Sport 4s. They arent 200TW (i think they are 300TW) but they can be tracked and are fantastic and last a long time as a daily street tire as well. One of my friends autocrosses her 370z on those tires and hasnt had any issues. Sure they arent as grippy as RE71R's, but i dont think anyone here is suggesting starting with an R-Comp tire as your first track tire.
I too also dont really take into the whole (drive it stock first) mentality. While i defiently dont recommend going with what all the pros are using immedietly off the bat, starting off with some wider wheels and tires and coils i find are great starting points. Now granted i'm not veteran to racing so i could be totally talking out of my ass. But at the end of the day just get a set of good performance tires that can also be daily and dont worry about it. The tires will be good enough that you wont be changing tires every 6 months, but will still have a high enough ceiling that you wont be hitting it anytime soon since this is your first time out.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:29 AM

Received 1,281 Likes on 976 Posts

Originally Posted by xxyion
I mean you could always go with a set of Michelin Sport 4s. They arent 200TW (i think they are 300TW) but they can be tracked and are fantastic and last a long time as a daily street tire as well. One of my friends autocrosses her 370z on those tires and hasnt had any issues. Sure they arent as grippy as RE71R's, but i dont think anyone here is suggesting starting with an R-Comp tire as your first track tire.
I too also dont really take into the whole (drive it stock first) mentality. While i defiently dont recommend going with what all the pros are using immedietly off the bat, starting off with some wider wheels and tires and coils i find are great starting points. Now granted i'm not veteran to racing so i could be totally talking out of my ass. But at the end of the day just get a set of good performance tires that can also be daily and dont worry about it. The tires will be good enough that you wont be changing tires every 6 months, but will still have a high enough ceiling that you wont be hitting it anytime soon since this is your first time out.
To clarify, RE-71Rs are not R comps They are just extreme performance summers. The gap between those and Rcomps has shrunk over the years though .. in both grip and wear! :P

And as most people have said, the slight gap between good and being "HPDE Champion!!!" (I kid there) between an RS4. Falken, etc and the RE-71R is more than made up for by the huge increase in life and much lower cost.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

There's absolutely no way I can justify the cost of Michelin anything... And I will track the car as stock except for tires, lines, and fluids (and maybe an oil baffle if I have the time to get around installing it), it is already beyond my skills as it is. I find it pointless to add performance mods when I don't even have a baseline.

I can throw on my set of KW V3 and it'll be pointless to me, because I would have nothing to compare it to.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
To clarify, RE-71Rs are not R comps They are just extreme performance summers. The gap between those and Rcomps has shrunk over the years though .. in both grip and wear! :P

And as most people have said, the slight gap between good and being "HPDE Champion!!!" (I kid there) between an RS4. Falken, etc and the RE-71R is more than made up for by the huge increase in life and much lower cost.
Definitely not getting the RE-71R. Honestly, I'm heavily leaning towards my old Bridgestone S-04 Pole Position. This way, when I do put on a set of Hankook RS4 (or similar tires), I'll have something to look forward to as I build my skills.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
There's absolutely no way I can justify the cost of Michelin anything... And I will track the car as stock except for tires, lines, and fluids (and maybe an oil baffle if I have the time to get around installing it), it is already beyond my skills as it is. I find it pointless to add performance mods when I don't even have a baseline.

I can throw on my set of KW V3 and it'll be pointless to me, because I would have nothing to compare it to.
But thats all i'm saying. Just get yourself a good set of tires. Dont need to worry about TW this or performance that.

As far as Michelin, i mean you talked about driving on the streets 80% of the time. Which means you're going to need something thats going to last a decent amount of time when you're not at the track, and then still have enough life in them for when you do hit the track.

Most 200 TW tires last anywhere between 10k miles to about 30k miles depending on composition and brand and driving style. Thats roughly a year to 3 years worth of driving depending on how much you drive your car. A set of the Michelin Pilot S4 can last up to 50k miles (assuming the MPSS are anything to go off of) which is almost double. A set of 200 TW like the Hankook RS4 is around 150-160$ per tire. The MPS4 is about 200$-220$ a tire. You'd be changing out your Hankooks at twice the interval for only 50$ less per tire. Personally. Thats pretty worth the investment.

On the flip side i went with Dunlop Direzza Z3. Very similar to the Hankook RS4s. Have about 7k miles on them so far. No signs of premature wear even after 4 Autocross days across 4 months and many weekends of spirited drives. I got them for around 165$ a tire i think? But i have a square setup and running 245/40/17 tire sizes. I've been pretty happy with them so far, however for my application i wished they heated up faster.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:59 PM
Jub

Received 395 Likes on 315 Posts

I don't have experience enough to recommend one tire vs. the other. Aside from the BFG G-force Sport 2 which was on my AP1 when I got it, I've only driven RE71s. I was a novice driver and did an autocross school and test and tune day with them. They were new rears and years old fronts. It understeered terribly because of it. Therefore, I'm not going to recommend anything that I haven't tried. To the guy above, I have 4k miles on my RE71Rs this year, probably 100ish autocross runs, and a track day. They're probably over 2/3rds worn and would be sketchy in the rain at this point. I assure you they won't make it to 10k miles. They'd be done after 1 more track day. The most important thing is to drive and make it affordable enough to drive another day. If I didn't autocross the last 4 years, I could have bought some awesome shocks and wheels for my car. Who cares... I've enjoyed driving the car, burned some tires, and learned a lot in the process. Way better than hard parking for 4 years to get some sweet parts.

I don't think any performance tire, PS4 included, is going to get 50k on an s2000, especially with track days in the picture. If you make it that far, I think you need some driving lessons or to consider why you are doing track days in the first place.I think the RS4 may be a decent choice but I bet they will probably pick up rocks too. the Michelin Pilot series sounds like a good option for this use case. i think the S-04 is probably the right direction also but don't know much about them. I've heard people liking the Continental Extreme Contact Sport which is pretty cheap and supposed to do well in rain. The only negative thing I've heard about them is a soft sidewall. Any decent tire will do at this point. Go out and have fun.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jub
I don't have experience enough to recommend one tire vs. the other. Aside from the BFG G-force Sport 2 which was on my AP1 when I got it, I've only driven RE71s. I was a novice driver and did an autocross school and test and tune day with them. They were new rears and years old fronts. It understeered terribly because of it. Therefore, I'm not going to recommend anything that I haven't tried. To the guy above, I have 4k miles on my RE71Rs this year, probably 100ish autocross runs, and a track day. They're probably over 2/3rds worn and would be sketchy in the rain at this point. I assure you they won't make it to 10k miles. They'd be done after 1 more track day. The most important thing is to drive and make it affordable enough to drive another day. If I didn't autocross the last 4 years, I could have bought some awesome shocks and wheels for my car. Who cares... I've enjoyed driving the car, burned some tires, and learned a lot in the process. Way better than hard parking for 4 years to get some sweet parts.

I don't think any performance tire, PS4 included, is going to get 50k on an s2000, especially with track days in the picture. If you make it that far, I think you need some driving lessons or to consider why you are doing track days in the first place.I think the RS4 may be a decent choice but I bet they will probably pick up rocks too. the Michelin Pilot series sounds like a good option for this use case. i think the S-04 is probably the right direction also but don't know much about them. I've heard people liking the Continental Extreme Contact Sport which is pretty cheap and supposed to do well in rain. The only negative thing I've heard about them is a soft sidewall. Any decent tire will do at this point. Go out and have fun.
I think there's enough feedback that those RE-71R are great at going fast around the track, but it was clear the engineers did not design them to last at all. As a tire choice for a total beginner, I will have to cross them out.

I think I will have to go back to the S-04 Pole Position. But I am looking forward to it! They're great as a street tire and should capable enough for me as a track beginner. Very excited!
Old 10-11-2019, 06:41 PM

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

I used the continental extreme contact sport on my AP1- yes, little more squishy side wall than a 200 UTQG tire. Excellent tire. I have a set on my 2006 now and the I wore the fronts severely at the dragon this year- extreme camber wear given my autocross alignment.
I prefer 200 UTQG, but may use the firehawk500 for my next set to try them out.
RE71R's are the most excellent tire. The Dunlop z2 was a fantastic all arounder. I haven't tried the z3. Hankook RS3 wore like the iron- I liked them too.

darcy
Old 10-14-2019, 10:23 AM

I never tried the Z2 but my friend swears by them. From the reviews it looks like the Z3 (which i have) are good but not as good as the Z2s were. The Z3, im a little unhappy with as an Autocross tire as they dont heat up fast enough and i only start to get good runs during my last few runs. Thinking about the RE-71R after these wear down.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:45 AM

Received 1,281 Likes on 976 Posts

I never tried the Z2 but my friend swears by them. From the reviews it looks like the Z3 (which i have) are good but not as good as the Z2s were. The Z3, im a little unhappy with as an Autocross tire as they dont heat up fast enough and i only start to get good runs during my last few runs. Thinking about the RE-71R after these wear down.
For autox if you want to be competitive then hands down the RE-71R, Rival 1.5S or the A052 Yokes (which are pretty much THE tire now for autocross after last season). All of those are going to stomp all over any competing street tire for autocross use. I know people that like the Z3, but they also are not too concerned about being competitive and like the price and wear better.

Quick Reply: Stock seats and no harness, will I still benefit from 200 tread tires?