Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestion for AP1 Tires on Stock Wheels

Old 04-24-2017, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestion for AP1 Tires on Stock Wheels

Going to need rear tires soon so I'd like to get a list of tires and opinions. I tried searching through various threads but it seems like everyone is running on AP2 or aftermarket wheels and us AP1 guys get no love

Chime in if you have suggestions please. Note that price is not a problem for me and my car is a daily driver so I'm looking for all season tires. You may suggest any brand for any season and I'll keep them updated in a list for future visitors

ALL SEASON
- Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3
- Continental ExtremeContact DWS

SUMMER
- Dunlop Z2

WINTER
- General Altimax

Last edited by Reasonable Doubt; 04-25-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Before I upgraded to bigger wheels I had Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3's which I liked a lot on AP1 wheels.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I will suggest if this is a daily driven car, AND you drive in temperatures less than 38 degrees F, then do yourself a favour and buy summer rubber and winter rubber.

For SUMMER I like the Dunlop Z2.

For ALL SEASON i can't comment as I have not bought them in over 16 years.

For WINTER, I like the General Altimax- mind you, i use these on my Civic- the S sleeps for the winter months.

good luck
darcy
Old 04-25-2017, 03:04 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Handling drops significantly as you step down the scale. I used winter tires one time and they were not worth it here in Ohio. Not sure what "winter" is to you. South Florida is like summer here on the North Coast. I don't drive my S2000 between November and April up here though so run summer tires all the time. I believe the Bridgstone RE-11 is still available in 16" sizes. Great summer tire.

There are various grades of all season tires. I put Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires on our Subaru Legacy 3.6R sedan. "Ultra" high performance all-season. These handle and drive very well on that car.

-- Chuck
Old 04-25-2017, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Janus00
Before I upgraded to bigger wheels I had Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3's which I liked a lot on AP1 wheels.
I'm actually leaning towards these the most

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Handling drops significantly as you step down the scale. I used winter tires one time and they were not worth it here in Ohio. Not sure what "winter" is to you. South Florida is like summer here on the North Coast. I don't drive my S2000 between November and April up here though so run summer tires all the time. I believe the Bridgstone RE-11 is still available in 16" sizes. Great summer tire.

There are various grades of all season tires. I put Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires on our Subaru Legacy 3.6R sedan. "Ultra" high performance all-season. These handle and drive very well on that car.

-- Chuck
I currently have Continentals DWS that came on my S when i purchased it. Well on the front and they have pretty good life left. I woke up one day with two flats on my rears so im just waiting til the cheap replacements wear out to switch. Its been 2 1/2 years and about 12,000 miles.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by darcyw
I will suggest if this is a daily driven car, AND you drive in temperatures less than 38 degrees F, then do yourself a favour and buy summer rubber and winter rubber.

For SUMMER I like the Dunlop Z2.

For ALL SEASON i can't comment as I have not bought them in over 16 years.

For WINTER, I like the General Altimax- mind you, i use these on my Civic- the S sleeps for the winter months.

good luck
darcy
I'm in Northern Virginia. I just did my first winter here and it wasn't too bad compared to NY/NJ where im originally from.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:34 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I have generals on our fit though they are the all season one and they handled the winter weather here really well. Even some snow days without any issue. Can't comment on the others as my AD08r's stay on the S and I don't daily it.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:11 AM

Default Shopping for tires on stock rims

I am shopping for a set of tires for my '01 S2000 and I have some questions before I buy.
I will not be driving in the winter.

I am looking at the following:
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and Pilot Super Sport
Bridgestone RE11 and RE11A

Any comments on the way the tires handle would be great.
ALSO:

With the RE11 front tires the rating is 91V but the original tires are rated at 89W. Does the reduction in the speed rating matter?

Do I run with the factory sizes or should I get 245/45R16 for the rear tires?

Thanks

Jim
Old 04-26-2017, 01:31 PM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Look up the speed rating for a V tire. Think your S2000 can exceed it?

If so it makes a difference.

-- Chuck
Old 04-26-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Bridgestone RE11 or Michelin Pilot Super Sport A/S 3

Originally Posted by Jim Dwyer
I am shopping for a set of tires for my '01 S2000 and I have some questions before I buy.
I will not be driving in the winter.

I am looking at the following:
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and Pilot Super Sport
Bridgestone RE11 and RE11A

Any comments on the way the tires handle would be great.
ALSO:

With the RE11 front tires the rating is 91V but the original tires are rated at 89W. Does the reduction in the speed rating matter?

Do I run with the factory sizes or should I get 245/45R16 for the rear tires?

Thanks

Jim

OK I have narrowed my choices down to the RE11's with 245/45R16's on the rear or Michelin Super Sport A/S 3's with 225/50R16's on the rear.
The V speed rating is fast enough for me and the car.
So which set of tires is better and why?

Thanks

Jim

Quick Reply: Suggestion for AP1 Tires on Stock Wheels