Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheels/tires for my ap1

Old 09-04-2011, 12:48 PM
rac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheels/tires for my ap1

ok so first off i just bought my 2000 s2k ap1, color: silvertone, and i love it and my gf hates it. it is completely stock. few mods i wanna do to it but first will be the wheels. so i never knew it would be so difficult looking for wheels til now. i'm kinda on a budget but i just need some ideas. what wheels and tires would fit without any modifications. also, i would like to get 17's. and just to throw in there i have searched tire rack and it is very helpful but there is a link that says important notes on every wheel which brings a window down stating fender mod may be required and so on.. anyway any advice would be much appreciated and thank you in advance.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:21 PM

The sticky at the top of this section is a good guideline of what can/can't fit. 17's in high offset (high 50's and up) are a safe bet.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/342...fitment-guide/

OEM fitment on an AP2 is 17x7 +55 17x8.5 +63, just to give you an idea of what to look at.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:48 PM

looking for wheels on a s2k is harder than other cars becuase you have to decided if you want to keep a staggard setup or not and the offset should be high, i have a 03 silverstone and i have been looking for wheels and specs i like for a long time, cant find anything.. I would suggest just to drive the car for a while before jumping into mods. do you plan on lowering by the way???
Old 09-04-2011, 01:54 PM
rac

just read it, thank you very much. the guide makes sense. should help with my purchase.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:13 PM
rac

lowering was part of the future plan as well but when i found out how difficult the wheels were going to be im putting that off till i can find the perfect match. i will probably end up rolling my fenders but i currently do not have the funds.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I can help with anything let me know. Some of the lower offset wheels will work with negative camber and narrower tires.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:56 PM
rac

i decided to stick with the stock ap1 wheels. i'll have to save up a little to get some wheels i really want. it'll be worth it. anyways i was going to get the same tires that were still on there (fuzion fzi 225/50/16 92w) but not a lot of places i called had em in stock and wanna charge me extra for shipping but i need tires now becuase my s2k is my daily driver so i would appreciate some input on above average tires. just need 2 rear. going for same size (225/50/16). right now im looking at discount tires and there are the bridgestone potenza re-11, goodyear eagle gt, falken fk 452, and yokohama s.drive. just a few of them from there large in stock selection. again your advice is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Decide if you want an extreme performance summer tire (like the RE-11), a max performance summer tire, or an all season tire. you have tires from all those listed. But I would not go with any of the ones you listed.

For Extreme Performance summer tire for DD use it is hard to beat the DUnlop Star spec for longevity, price, and wet/dry performance. (for non DD use I like the Hankook RS3 the best and I use that one for autox)

For Max performance summer tire I like the Continental DW, It is what I DD on and they are amazing in the wet, great in the dry, quiet and smooth, but you do sacrifice a little responsiveness but with a little extra air pressure that problem is solved.

for all season, I like the Continental DWS and the Yokohama Avid Envigor. But unless you drive in snow or extreme cold I do not recommend all seasons, the car is not nearly as fun with all seasons.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:48 AM

I'd also recommend the Dunlop star spec as a great summer tire. Excellent grip and responsiveness, and it's also a good value compared to the Re-11 and Yoko AD08. I haven't used the RS-3 yet, but it seems to be the tire to have in the STR (street tire catagory) autocross class.

I've used the Bridgestone RE960AS for the non-autocross part of the year, and I think that's another all season you should consider. They are available in OEM sizes, and the handle well for an all season tire. They are also very quiet and ride well. I've gotten two winters out of my rear tires, and the fronts are still going strong. I live in Virginia where dedicated snow tires are not really necessary.
-James
Old 09-15-2011, 11:46 AM
rac

Another question about wheels for my ap1. Got the money to get some wheels. Looking at some Rota's, think they are the Grid YBK or something. They are really clean. All black 6 spoke. Now i was wondering should the wheels be staggered? I found some 17x9 +42. Will these stick out past fender? Will i need to mod fenders? What you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: wheels/tires for my ap1