Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Visiting Dallas from MD from 6/14 to 6/20

Old 06-09-2003, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

I will be visiting Richardson, TX between June 14th - 20th for business purposes. Looking for some pointers to some fun hangouts or even a local import gathering spot, if there's one. And of course, meet up with yall cool S2kers in the neighborhood

I am staying at the Raddisons Hotel (no idea how nice it is), from Yahoo! Maps, not far from TX-190 and US-75.

Looking forward to the trip!

PS: A co-worker of mine who grew up there advised me to stay away from the cowboy bars (I am Asian). I said to her "c'mon it can't be that bad..." She just gave me the look that says "I warned you..."

It's not true, right?

Mike W.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Richardson for business - hmm, you're in the telecom industry?

Being neither Asian nor into western bars, I can't comment on the scene there. There are a lot of different style bars and clubs in the area. West End is more country, Deep Ellum is punk, Lower Greenville is random bars and dance clubs, Lizard Lounge is goth on Sunday nights...

The morning of the 14th is a joint ralley with the Fiat club. If you can swing staying one more day - we have our official lake-side gathering on the 21st. There aren't any official gathering type activities, but some of the local S2000 owners have restaurants in the area, so maybe one of them could offer up their services for a dinner night during the week.

ps - nice color choice.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:55 PM

Ah, Texas stereotypes, you got to love them. The way I see it is wherever you go, not just Dallas, it is probably wise to avoid places where there are a lot of drunken people and you just don't fit in. That being said if you really want to go to a cowboy bar, there are a few in the touristy areas of town that you probably would have no problems at.

That Radisson is in Telecom Corridor in Richardson where many of us work (or did work until the Telecom collapse). That area doesn't really have a nightlife so you will probably be driving a ways to get to anything interesting. There is a Dart light rail station real close to the Radisson that can take you all the way into downtown. As far as specifics on things to do I don
Old 06-09-2003, 07:06 PM

Elistan, what's up man! Black/red sure is the best combo of them all Are there hangouts like the Barnes & Noble parking lot in Rockville, MD? A friend of mine who used to work for Motorola in Dallas or Houston told me the import scene is quite strong in the area. Thanks for the info, but unfortunately I won't be able to join the gathering on the 21st, gotta catch the flight...

TypeSH, you are absolutely right about the places with drunken people. Like Asian clubs, you don't see fights, you just hear gunshots Wasn't stereotyping about Texas, just hearing those words from someone who grew up there did made me think twice. Wanted to get some understanding, show some respect and try not to be an ignorant tourist

Great info, pls keem 'em coming, thanks again!

BTW, I am one of the lucky (or not) dude STILL onboard the telecom Titanic
Old 06-09-2003, 07:48 PM

Y'know, there probably are meets like that in the area (there certainly are in Austin, at least) but I don't know of any. Well, actually, I hear a few reports every once in a while but they usually included too much of a punk criminal element.

I know of some other groups who have tried putting stuff together, but from what I can tell it didn't go very far.

Anybody up for something Satuday night?
Old 06-11-2003, 08:23 PM

See https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=129093
Old 06-11-2003, 11:19 PM

There's lots to do in Dallas. You can start off Saturday by going to drink $1 drinks at Chaucers off of Beltline and the Tollway. (Did I say Saturday, I meant everyday of the week) Chaucers has a sushi bar/ bar that has a dj/ lounge to watch sports games/ dining area to eat. There are several hot ladies there. It's a mix crowd, b/c our group brought in the asians to spice it up. BTW, no guns or fighting if your thinking that. Chaucers stays open til 2am. Damn, I sound like i'm doing an ad for them.

After you get your drink on, you can CAREFULLY drive (or ride with friends) to lower greenville or the west village area. Or you can just chill at BD's where it's free admission and free alcohol until July, I believe. It's quite packed on weekends. BTW, BD's is the politically correct initials for a place that you can see good looking women do dances on tables. I'll leave it at that.

On Tuesday there is a club called Caliente off of Midway and 190 that is pretty happening, but lately there have been to many sausages.

Thursday's you can hit Time Square where I heard it's pretty happening b/c of a wet T contest. I heard.

On Friday there's Liquid. Hip hop night. Asian club, but there's not that many fights anymore.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:14 PM

I love Dallas!

Good eats, pretty women (everywhere) and last but not least, friendly people everywhere.

I am going to have to tell my co-worker that she needs to visit her hometown again.

Thanks to Mark (Elistan) for showing me and my coworker around the neighborhood, and Jack for the hospitality at his restaurant, Wok's. It was an experience to have Chinese at an ex-pizza hut building

MDS, TXLC, Razoo's, and some local mom/pop's Mexican joints (talk about authenticity!), I will definitely miss the food I've had, especially on company's tab

I bet you guys already know where the hotties are, but personally, I gotta say the bartenders at Razoo's were off da hook

Thanks again, Mark and Jack, if you guys ever visit the greater D.C. area, let me know.

Heading home tomorrow. I had a great time here in Dallas.

Mike W.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:24 AM

Thanks for stopping by, Mike! It's nice to have a national support group like the S2000 community, isn't it?