UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Torque for Android - Video and Data

Old 04-08-2012, 01:38 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz' timestamp='1333918647' post='21587961
It is only the rr file you need for this and the video.

Sounds like you are doing it right so I'm not sure what could be up. When you reply the recording on the phone is it screwed up as well?

Not always. I have an OBD II hookup as well. Sometimes the speed is off. It'll be wrong. or wont't register, or be stuck as some speed. G meter works all the time. For whatever reason the altitude is displayed on the screen. That's accurate as well. I'd like to have throttle position, rpm's, speed, and gear showing, but not sure how to get all that. When I start the app, it indicates that it is connecting to the OBD correctly. It also drew it's own map of the track (it's not a published track) correctly. Shows the Google Earth view as well, but not real accurate as to where my car is.
Are you using the GPS in the phone?

If you tap the dials when playing back the video on the phone, they will change and display different parameters.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is wrong on the phone as well in real time as you drive?

If so it could be a compatibility problem with the phone maybe, or the obd device you have? Just guessing here really though...

I don't think you can get gauges up in the app for all things, I haven't found a way to get gears up in the app but the data is there for race render in the export file.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:46 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz

If so it could be a compatibility problem with the phone maybe, or the obd device you have? Just guessing here really though...

I don't think you can get gauges up in the app for all things, I haven't found a way to get gears up in the app but the data is there for race render in the export file.
I haven't looked at the phone when I'm driving, so I'm not sure. I am using the phones GPS, and it appears the speed is from GPS. I say that just because it appears there is a "delay" in it.

I have an OBD II connection which the app indicates is working properly, yet speed data is off sometimes. Sometimes wrong, sometimes doesn't record, sometimes "stuck" at a speed. On the phone, it shows the dials, but doesn't show throttle position even though I've got that enabled. It shows altitude, even though I don't really care about that.

Doesn't show the gear I'm in, although I have the app configured for that. The speed seems to be from GPS, but I say that just because of the "lag" it shows.

It shows my Google Earth position and correctly drew it's own map of the track (it's not an "official" track).

My setting in the phone are:

Playback option enabled to filter accelerometer data.

Recording options are Normal for Sensor Data Rate and Size of Logs are all Normal.

My OBD parameters are set to record throttle position and RPM and Speed is by default (greyed out). A separate app I have that can show OBD data (Torque) shows this data correctly.

OBD Protocol is set to Auto.

OBD Adaptive Timing is Enabled.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz

Geez, I didn't know that tapping the gauges changes them! Thanks.

For me, when I display RPM's, the gear is displayed in the center of the tach.

But, how do I get all the gauges into RaceRender. I'm using the free version BTW.

I'd be happy to pay for it, but I want to make sure it works for me before I do!
Old 04-08-2012, 01:54 PM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz' timestamp='1333921366' post='21588040

Geez, I didn't know that tapping the gauges changes them! Thanks.

For me, when I display RPM's, the gear is displayed in the center of the tach.

But, how do I get all the gauges into RaceRender. I'm using the free version BTW.

I'd be happy to pay for it, but I want to make sure it works for me before I do!
Take a look at the data file in Excel or similar.

You'll see there are columns for longitude, latitude, rpm, speed GPS, speed obd, altitude, gear and so on.

In Racerender you simply link up each dial to the appropriate column in the data file (although most of it is automatic). It also lets you convert speed in m/s into speed in mph.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:57 PM

If it is like it in playback and in
Real time I think it could be a software problem with the app? Especially if torque works fine.

Have you tried disabling adaptive timing? It says to do that if data rate is irratic.

Other options you have tie in with mine.

In play back I can't find a way to get gears up, that you need to use race render to pull it out of the file.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:59 PM

Oh, never noticed it shows the gear in the rpm gauge!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This mobile phone and OBD port bluetooth/wireless solution looks really good compared to dedicated loggers and cameras so I'm going to give it a try but am clueless with modern phones, so I'm gonna ask some potentially stupid questions here, apologies in advance..

Here goes.. please go easy on me

It appears that the phones I've looked at all have their main HD camera on the opposite side of the phone to the screen (which is perfectly sensible for normal use); so my question here is, How do you go about operating the thing when mounted atop the secret compartment (modifry mount) as the screen would be towards the back of the car? Or are people using these phones that also have a forward facing camera?

How much memory would you need in the phone for a full trackdays worth of video at HD res and what sort of processing power is required; Please feel free to name some ideal phones for this purpose, preferably Android based as I'm a fan of open systems (I've just looked and its a minefield as I know NOTHING about these smartphones).

Are you powering the phone from the cigarette lighter as it's recording as I've read that this would probably be necessary due to these phones requiring lots of power to run thier GPS devices?

Are people using external GPS devices for better accuracy? I note that from looking at a few peoples vids that the gps speed is often lagging quite a bit, is this due to the slow gps of the phone? Can this be improved?

Regards the mounting; I have the modifry mount that sits atop the secret compartment and screws down using the holes the wind deflector uses; What recommendations for the actual phone clamp thing that hold the phone itself?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:04 AM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by OldDogmeat
This mobile phone and OBD port bluetooth/wireless solution looks really good compared to dedicated loggers and cameras so I'm going to give it a try but am clueless with modern phones, so I'm gonna ask some potentially stupid questions here, apologies in advance..

Here goes.. please go easy on me

It appears that the phones I've looked at all have their main HD camera on the opposite side of the phone to the screen (which is perfectly sensible for normal use); so my question here is, How do you go about operating the thing when mounted atop the secret compartment (modifry mount) as the screen would be towards the back of the car? Or are people using these phones that also have a forward facing camera?

How much memory would you need in the phone for a full trackdays worth of video at HD res and what sort of processing power is required; Please feel free to name some ideal phones for this purpose, preferably Android based as I'm a fan of open systems (I've just looked and its a minefield as I know NOTHING about these smartphones).

Are you powering the phone from the cigarette lighter as it's recording as I've read that this would probably be necessary due to these phones requiring lots of power to run thier GPS devices?

Are people using external GPS devices for better accuracy? I note that from looking at a few peoples vids that the gps speed is often lagging quite a bit, is this due to the slow gps of the phone? Can this be improved?

Regards the mounting; I have the modifry mount that sits atop the secret compartment and screws down using the holes the wind deflector uses; What recommendations for the actual phone clamp thing that hold the phone itself?
Before I begin, I thik it's worth pointing out that the developer for aLap seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth, so I have now purchased the Torque App https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...50b3JxdWUiXQ.. and there is also a free version available should you wish to test things.

It has a track recorder add in that'll let you record video as well but you need the full version of Torque to use this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5yZWNvcmRlciJd

I use the modifry mount in conjunction with one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Mini-T...ht_2655wt_1250 which screws into the Modifry.

See above for my rather heavier version.

To record, I stand outside the car, get the camera pointing correctly and then start the recording, jump in and head out on track. This part of the recording is later removed in RaceRender.

As for memory usage - it depends, but you're looking at roughly 1.3Gb for every 10 minutes of HD video - the data files aren't particularly big around 1Kb for every 10 minutes.

aLap lets you decide where to save the files - either to the phone (16Gb memory) or to an SD Card - I have a 32Gb one on board). Torque will only let you save to the phone, but you can always move the files around wile you're cooling down.

As above, I have an external 10Hz GPS device like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Qstarz-BT-Q8...3969211&sr=8-2 - its much better than the phone's GPS. The speed lag is more related to the OBD2 than the GPS I think. Hopefully Torque will do the OBD2 stuff better than aLap does.

Phone is powered from the lighter with this sort of thing: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Car-Cha...3969370&sr=1-1

The real key to all this is the software used to generate the videos afterwards. Racerender is pretty good and at £20 is very good value. It means that if you wanted to, you could use an external camera to get the video, and the phone for just the data (which is what kamikaze does). You then sync it all up there and add in the graphics.

The Torque track recorder will add dials direct from the phone but it looks a real palaver.

HTH.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:19 AM

Using a go pro is another option stuck with one of the base plates it comes with to the secret compartment. I like this as it has external mic input (go pro 2) and can do really wide angles, I don't even use its widest setting bit watch the vtec tunnel video someone has posted in the main forum a few down from this at the minute and you get the idea.

Then I just have the phone sitting in compartment behind the gear stick set to data only mode. Its a few minute job in race render to sync the video to the data, very easy.

Quick Reply: Torque for Android - Video and Data