S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Hks hypermax lv SP " review "

Old 03-28-2016, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gptoyz
Originally Posted by saleach' timestamp='1459097774' post='23920493
Do you know if the springs are linear or progressive? I too am worried about the comfort aspect slightly. The car is 60% track duty 40% weekend car.
Spring rate is linear; the SP is apparently equipped with 16k springs all around. Any time an absolute value can be attributed to a spring, in this case 16 kg/mm, it means that the spring rate is linear, for the most part. In spring testing, with a spring dyno, companies have found that most springs that are listed as linear have some to significant variation in the spring rate as the spring is compressed. This is more attributed to the quality control and manufacturing process and all but the most premium spring manufacturers (hyperco, swift, eibach ers) suffer from this problem.

This is a great read on the evaluation of the Hypermax iv SP kit by motoiq:
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...on-System.aspx

As far as harshness on the road, for what it's worth, 16k springs are about 900 lbs over 2.25x the spring rate of the CR and 3.4x the spring rate of the stock s2000 springs. That being said, if the shock is properly damped for the application then it would at least be a tolerable ride.

If it were 75/25 track vs weekend; I would be more inclined to consider the SP. For me, since I've had experience with the KW clubsport, that would probably be my choice for your application because it not only gives you room to grow as a track driver but it will also be livable. The KW v3 is also an excellent option if the clubsport is too pricey.

HKS does make a GT version with lower spring rates, but I would probably take the CR shock/spring combo over the GT version for simplicity since the spring rates are nearly comparable.

Thank you very much for that in depth explanation and insight. This is exactly what I was looking for.

I too have considered the KWV3 as the clubsports are a bit out of my pricerange. However, I feel that the KW v3 would reach it's limitations at the track much soonder than the SP. I have only recently started tracking my car but I dont see myself stopping anytime soon and would like a reasonably priced coilover that would be comparable (somewhat) at the track with some of the higher-end motorsport-grade setups.

For ~$1600 it seems like the SPs are the best bang for your buck in an agressive (althogh liveable) coilover for the s2000 at the track.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For ~$1600 it seems like the SPs are the best bang for your buck in an agressive (althogh liveable) coilover for the s2000 at the track.

Exactly!!
Old 04-08-2016, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

I hate to bump an old thread, but I saw people talking about the coilovers and wanted to chime in.

If anyone has any questions on these, please feel free to let me know and I will respond to you! We have sold a lot of the SP coilovers to customers who daily duty their car. I havent had one complaint yet that they rattled their teeth out of their mouth even on the hardest settings!

Hope to hear from you all soon!
Old 04-09-2016, 05:32 PM

What rebound settings do everyone have their SP's at? I've found that the middle baseline setting is a little too bouncy for my tastes. When I initially had them installed, they were set at 5 clicks from full stiff, which I then later went to the baseline settings. I've found that there wasn't much difference in overall ride comfort between the two, and that the much "stiffer" setting felt much more confident when hitting bumps at speed. I am still experimenting, and I'm guessing that I'll probably end up somewhere between in the middle. All of this has been on the street though. Would be nice if I could track more to have that consistent testing ground.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:05 AM

after riding them for so long now, how do you guys like them still? thanks!
Old 07-26-2017, 03:46 AM

Got 2 kids since a bought them so i didnt use the car that much for the last 2 years. I must have put 1k street miles and like 4 track days.

All of my S buddys who track there car (6) have made the switch to the SP's. 2 of them are making awesone times at the track.

Personally i still love them. Street or track
Old 07-28-2017, 05:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

While they feel slightly harsher than Ohlins when driving them back to back(10/8k vs 16/16k), I still feel theyre very compliant for their intention. I daily drove with them for about 2 years or so and now that the car is being used primarily for track now, I dont really see a need to change the suspension as I feel like the spring rates and valving are receptive to working with aero. Ive had other coilovers such as D2rs(crap) and PSS9's and while the Bilsteins felt nice and cushy they wouldve need an increase in spring rate and valving to work to my liking on track and definitely for aero. Thats just my opinion though. If I didnt have these I would go with the SBG Ohlins.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:57 PM

^^^ thats a good comparaison !!