Ark-La-Tex S2000 Owners Covering Arkansas, Louisiana, and East Texas

Adventures Of Learning How To Drive A Standard

Old 12-08-2006, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adventures Of Learning How To Drive A Standard

So as most of you probably didn't know, I did not know how to drive a standard up until 3 days ago. Andy (Ch0pper) (Guy with the integra that was at the last meet) decided to take me under his wing and teach me to drive a standard in his car. I've known Andy for a long time and he knows I'm a tender person. Meaning, I don't wanna fu%$ up someone elses s*%$! Being a great guy, hes allowed me to learn and hes shared the knowlege/tips of how to drive a standard. Well, the story I'm about to tell is based on a true story. I'll try to make it as short as possible but at the same time. Make you understand the epic adventure we went on. Now, know one thing. I knew the basics of how it works and what needs to take place. I had just never did it.

Well, he pretty much came by and picked me up after we made arrangements. We start driving and head to GM (General Motors). Andy pulls in the GM parking lot and we park. He starts teaching me the basic fundamentals. After about 5-10 minutes of telling me pretty much everything I need to know. We exchanged seats. I sit in the seat. Rev the engine, pull the clutch out slowly, and I do believe my first launch was successul! Second, well, luck ran out that quick... And it carried on to a very unpredicatble routine. One was good, one was bad, stalled plenty of times... So after about 15 minutes of practicing launches. We take it to the road. Cruise up and down GM blvd for about 30 minutes practicing regular shifting.

Then we wonder outside the comfort zone and drive on I think 70th (by watertown). We get on this road by coming off of Bert Kouns. I'm crusing at probably 50-60 MPH and I'm talking to Andy while cruising. Next thing I know, a racoon appears in front of the car. With literally 6ft of clearence while I'm going 60 MPH! Andy rises his hands and tries to use his magical powers to move the racoon out of the way. It was just too late! Andy didn't have time to charge his powers. BOOM!! Yea, nothing I could do. Well, we caught him really good on the right bumper. So I keep driving while laughing and saying sorry and cussing. Andy laughing too which made it much easier on me.

We pull into waterghost-towns parking lot to check for any damage. A cop is across the street and sees us pull into the parking lot. He shines his spotlight on us. Now I'm thinking man, when things couldn't get any worste!!! After keeping the spotlight on us after a second he drives away.Andy and I get out and I round the front bumper. Everything looked good from my angle. I come around to the right side of the vehicle only to find Andy looking at the bumper which was pushed out of its fittings, up and out. As I noticed this I was just saying, "Well, everything looks fi---- oh maybe not..." I apologize over and over. Andy insist. Its ok man, its not your fault. He came to the conclusion that all he had to do was take the bumper off and put it back on to fix it. Which made me feel better. He pushed the bumper back into place for a temporary fix and then we get back in the car both laughing.

Now! Andy told me one thing before we started any driving. Everyone seems to have a hilarious story to tell when it comes to them learning how to drive a standard. And we couldn't quit laughing about this because it was just so odd that the last thing I thought I would have done was hit a racoon while driving standard. Well, my story isn't over. Sorry its not so short but I think it gets better just like my driving skills. Haha! We cruise a little bit more and then call it a night.

Day goes by and I share my story with friends and family. Get a good way to spark a conversation for a day and then its time to hop back in the car with Andy and get my launches down. Andy comes to pick me up. We head out. We go back to the area of GM due to the lesser traffic. I get on GM blvd and do a couple of laps through Bert Kouns. Go the the GM parking lot and practice launches. Then head back on GM blvd to practice launches. Cause the traffic was low and I could get a lot of launches out before hitting the end of the road. I go all the way down GM blvd to the right angle turn and make a U turn that I think was illegal for the simple fact that I kinda drove over yellow paint that said go right. And I kinda, well, went left. I finish my U turn and immediately see a cop in the oncoming lane watching me. I keep rolling, try to ignore the cop. And set up to practice another launch.

In the cops eyes, I was setting up to get ready to drag race. Hes just sitting at the end of the road watching me and waiting. Getting a little nervous I stall it. The cop makes the same U turn I took turns on his lights and pulls up behind me. At this point me and Andy again are both laughing. Not able to believe that stupid stuff like this is happening. By the time he gets up behind me I'm in the process of starting the car back up. I pull over the the right lane and stop. Wait, he gets out, walks up to the car. Asks how we are doing. I said fine, I'm learning how to drive a standard and this is his car. We were in the GM parking lot earlier and came out here cause we had more room. He was like, "Only GM employees can park in the GM parking lot. I thought you guys were racing or something cause people come out here and do it all the time." Andy told him again how hes teaching me in his car and we were just practicing launches cause of the minimal traffic. I guess he could tell from my driving skills that I wasn't lying. He ran Andy's plate, checked my drivers license and checked Andy's insurance. After about 5 minutes and telling the cop about how I hit a raccoon on the first night of driving he let us go and told us to be careful cause GM would be letting out soon. So, I drive on my way.

Nothing real exciting happened after that for tonight. But, I got damn good at my launches. I think we will have one more session. We will see what the 3rd day will bring. I hope nothing bad but something we can walk away laughing about. Anyways, sorry for boring anyone with my long story but thought I would share my first experience with driving a standard in preperation of buying my own S2000.

Thanks Andy for helping me out and teaching me. Can't thank you enough for the laughs and lessons.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:43 PM

Man that is pretty crazy! I thought you were going to say you hit another racoon the second day. Have fun learning how to drive a stick you'll only get better with experience.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like an adventure i will be sure to be post my story up when i return from work!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL!!!! Nice story Colin and your most welcome.

I surely wish my magical powers would have moved that damn raccoon.. oh well, it was either hit the coon, or ramp the median and that would have hurt even more.

The Cop story, of course when Colin got the car started again, we were in the right hand lane with the cop parked right behind us with his lights on... and as most people would do, Colin starts to move the car forward to pull onto the shoulder of the road... and I'm thinking to myself, oh shit, the cop is going to think we're going to make a run for us and shoot out the tires... Of course the whole time I can't help but laugh.

You've done really well and we'll keep on practacing as much as you want.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:24 PM

Ya, I was afraid the cop would see me jump the car because of my 1337 driving skills and freak out.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought i would share my story...

18 years old and was about to by first standard, everyone had the fast cars and I wanted in the group as well. I went to a local dealership to test drive a 2000 Jetta and of course it was a 5-speed. It was a real pretty car and i couldnt wait to sit in the drivers seat....but i should of. It was just me and my little brother and the dealer came up to me and we talked about the car.. Suprisingly he gave me the keys and me and my little brother were off, there were no problems and i only killed it once. It was very smoother and shifting came easy. So after 15 minutes of driving I was sold. So i pulled into a driveway to turn around and thats when trouble came... In German vehicles you push down and to the left, there was no indication and i just thought you had to push it hard to the left. Well the car was not going into reverse the harder i tried the more frustrated i became.. So i told my brother "Aaron we are on a hill so i have to push this car backwards to get it to turn around, if i scream brake you pull this emergency brake as hard as you can." So the pushing became and my little brother being 6 thought it would be funny to pull the brake up and watchme struggle. Several minutes later i became aware of this and finally was able to push the car backwards on the street. When i got to the dealership the dealer was there and when i got out he said "why are you seating so bad son, you ok?" I explained the situation to him and he laughed, he said the last time someone test drove the car they left it there and it had to be picked up. Anyways that was my experience at driving a stick.. was a fun one at that
Old 12-10-2006, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by icemans2k02,Dec 10 2006, 07:44 PM
I explained the situation to him and he laughed, he said the last time someone test drove the car they left it there and it had to be picked up.

awesome, LMAO!!
Old 12-13-2006, 10:13 PM

HAHAHA nice stories.. i got a little one... i actually learned how to drive a stick in a s2000. it was about last month and i went up to Moffit Mazda and i was gonna buy the S2000 just because i always come to this forumm and i HAD to have one. I got up there and i'm talking to the dealer who also my friend and i'm like "pshhhh yeah i can drive a stick"... so we hop in and i quickly figured out that u had to pushed down and over to put it in reverse. my first launch we surprisingly smooth and we got on industrial road.. just my luck i stop right next to a cop at the first red light.. i get nervous and look over and say "ok...... maybe i dont know how to drive standard".. we laugh and the light turned green. i kinda waited for the cop to go first but my friend was like 'go'.. so i rev'd it and let off the clutch, it jerk'd like i was slamming on the brakes.. i press the clutch again but forgot i was on the gas too and then let off the clutch and chirped the tires for about 2 seconds. the cop came up next to us and my friend is like "i was teaching him how to drive stick" the cop smurk'd and said "ok, just get somewhere empty fast!"... so we hurry'd up and drove to the centurytel center parking lot and i went back and forth practicing.. stalled several times coming out of first but got switching gears down... needless to say we got back to the dealership and it turns out i haven't had credit long and i would need a co-signer to the the loan... i have asked my parents everyday since then to co-sign but everytime is a "hell no boy" .. i guess i gotta keep saving and reading....
Old 12-14-2006, 06:35 AM

Well persistance pays off! Once you get it going changing gears is the easy part.