Auto Racing Discussion F1, IRL, Champ Car, Nascar, WRC, BTCC, etc. Discuss recent races, results.

Would Schumacher still be a multi-champ

Old 08-18-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would Schumacher still be a multi-champ

Yes, i know that Schumacher is a 7 time champion, and can drive a race car really fast. But something "nags" at me because it just seems like current system of refueling turns the races into mini-sprints between fuel stops. This rewards qualifying type runs and discourages any attempts to pass because if you build the gap, you can pass in the pits.

I wonder how successful he'd be if we were back in the '80s and you had to tank up the cars and run the whole race on one load of fuel. Back then you needed to manage your tires when the car was full, trading pace early for pace later. It seemed like if you were going to make a pass, you had to do it on track.

I know he'd still be a champion, but 7 times?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:57 AM

Jacques flips Schu the bird
Thursday, 17, August, 2006, 17:29

As he contemplates his likely exit from Formula 1, Jacques Villeneuve has taken the opportunity to slam his former nemesis Michael Schumacher, accusing him of
Old 08-18-2006, 12:30 PM

Yeah, I just read that and much of it is probably true, however spoken by a guy with one WDC, one Indy 500 and one CART title, it does come across as "sour grapes"
Old 08-18-2006, 01:08 PM

If he didn't refuel.............. wouldn't he run out of gas?
Old 08-18-2006, 01:33 PM

In the old days (80's), refueling was banned. The cars had larger fuel tanks and you filled the car and ran the whole race. it was always a balancing act, if you had a powerful motor that used a lot of fuel, you needed more gas at the start that would compromise your standing start.

Of course taking your question literally, yes, I'm sure there were occasions where the teams miscalculated, and ran out of fuel.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:52 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

It would have been exactly the same. Even when there was no refueling, there were plenty of pit stops (for tire changes), and most of the time spent on a pit stop is the speed-limited run through the pit lane. A typical stop today takes 20-25 seconds, of which only 7 or 8 are the stop itself. 3 or 4 are needed for tires, so fuel only adds another 3 or 4 seconds.

If there were no refueling AND no tire changing, then that would make a big difference; but remember Schumi's always been the about the most physically fit guy on the grid, and one of the most calculating. I doubt there would have been any difference in that case either.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Colin,Aug 18 2006, 02:50 PM
Yes, i know that Schumacher is a 7 time champion, and can drive a race car really fast. But something "nags" at me because it just seems like current system of refueling turns the races into mini-sprints between fuel stops. This rewards qualifying type runs and discourages any attempts to pass because if you build the gap, you can pass in the pits.

I wonder how successful he'd be if we were back in the '80s and you had to tank up the cars and run the whole race on one load of fuel. Back then you needed to manage your tires when the car was full, trading pace early for pace later. It seemed like if you were going to make a pass, you had to do it on track.

I know he'd still be a champion, but 7 times?
Many races he's won, he lead right from the start...that means he wins the race on a single tank of gas...no one manages a race better than MS.

Would he still be 7 time champion - probably....

You really don't think that a couple of 20 second pit stops that everyone does has equal effect as the driving time on the track do you?

As for JV - he's career ended years ago, he's just jealous of MS....
Old 08-18-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by matrix,Aug 18 2006, 12:43 PM
You really don't think that a couple of 20 second pit stops that everyone does has equal effect as the driving time on the track do you?
Actually I do. i agree he's won a number of races from the pole and was never headed. I'm thinking about the ones where he's not first into the corner. The current rules seem to favor not trying a pass on the track but rather wait till the road is clear and put in some "qualifying" type laps (admittedly a skill) and pass them in the pits.

My thoughts (and the reason for the post) was that this skill has replaced the skill of overtaking. It is true that there were tire stops but not everyone stopped all the time, you couldn't wait for them to stop cause there was guarante they would. I don't know, maybe I'm just thinking about Senna and his passing ability and getting nostalgic.
Old 08-19-2006, 07:31 AM

[QUOTE=Colin,Aug 18 2006, 08:17 PM] Actually I do.