Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2013 E92 M3 w/ Dual Clutch - not that much fun of a car! no love.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a super clean 01 Silverstone with 68,000miles straight across trade LOL.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Scot
way to hi jack my thread. ahhahahahah....

I am not sure who the ideal M3 owner is but it is not me.
Probably people like me who daily drive their car in heavy stop-n-go traffic but still want to have fun on back roads when the opportunity presents itself. The deal killer for me with the M would be the fixed roof rather than the transmission. Well, that and the fact that the car weighs 3,700 lbs while the engine only produces 295 lb ft of torque @ a relatively high 3,900 rpm. I like being able to drop the roof. I like being able to let the gearbox shift for itself when crawling for two hours in traffic. I like being able to take control on twisty back roads. And I like a 400 lb ft torque peak with 90%+ of that available at 2,000 rpm. With that said, the M scores points with a back seat and more usable trunk space than a typical drop top car. The typical M buyer is maybe someone looking for an all-around solution that is still fun and can handle a wide range of traffic conditions.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
The deal killer for me with the M would be the fixed roof rather than the transmission.
There's a few different convertible M's made over the years, as well just very sport regular convertible BMW's.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Originally Posted by SpudRacer' timestamp='1394898098' post='23064176
The deal killer for me with the M would be the fixed roof rather than the transmission.
There's a few different convertible M's made over the years, as well just very sport regular convertible BMW's.
Oh yeah I know. But in this case the OP is driving / complaining about a fixed top coupe version of the 3 series M.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by spessx
I think it's probably just the SMG that makes it boring for you. Try one with a manual and you'll probably feel differently.

I'm starting to decide that high performance envelope doesn't necessarily equal fun though. Fun is being able to drive a car near it's limits. Modern performance cars performance capabilities are too high to ever approach the limit safely on the street. I think the cliche is that "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow."

...The current M3 weighs a little more than my 2001 F-150 did (no joke, look it up)...
I would agree that the SMG trans is simply an auto by another name, and not really fun to drive when you are used to a stick, whatever it's claimed advantages.

That cliche about slow cars is said alot by folks who drive slow cars. It's BS. It can be fun to drive a slow car fast, but it's far more fun and a hell of a lot safer to drive a car engineered to much higher limits at the same speed, knowing that the room between the current course and disaster leaves huge room for fun. It's just ignorant to assert that a car that is easily over-driven is safer than a car that has limits far higher than any encountered on public roads on dry pavement.

BTW, a 2001 F150 has half a ton on an M3. You should look it up yourself
Old 03-16-2014, 02:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Good looking all stock ride. I think I personally would lover the car if it were a stick shift.... no clue how anyone could possibly enjoy any of the paddle shifting cars (GTR,458, gt3, Porsche 911 turbo s, etc.......).

I think I will stick with my Dodge...
Old 03-16-2014, 03:48 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Scot
Good looking all stock ride. I think I personally would lover the car if it were a stick shift.... no clue how anyone could possibly enjoy any of the paddle shifting cars (GTR,458, gt3, Porsche 911 turbo s, etc.......).

I think I will stick with my Dodge...
i don't blame just the transmission. The m3 was never that much fun for me in both 6 spd & dct version. The GTR, 458, turbo s; etc are tons of fun even with automatic. In manual they'd be even better though.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

M3 needs a loud exhaust and a tune and it's a lot of fun. Driving my friend's M3 with full exhaust, tune, intake it feels almost as fast as my GT-R and it's a blast.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:20 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
M3 needs a loud exhaust and a tune and it's a lot of fun. Driving my friend's M3 with full exhaust, tune, intake it feels almost as fast as my GT-R and it's a blast.
Does that improve the level of driver involvement?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1395060155' post='23066235
Does that improve the level of driver involvement?
Some say, the faster the car, the better lol!

I've had a couple people see my M3/4/5 and say they miss a manual shifter just b/c it was more engaging. I'm still not sure I can buy an automatic car. maybe lease lol I'm still hoping the DSG 2015/16 Golf R is all that and a bag of chips. I really want my Girlfriend to start doing AutoX and I think having an Auto/SMG is the perfect way for her to get into it with out destroying my clutch and trans!

Quick Reply: 2013 E92 M3 w/ Dual Clutch - not that much fun of a car! no love.