Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Hellaflush car expelled from Quebec

Old 05-17-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1431843635' post='23615455
[quote name='riceball777' timestamp='1431824033' post='23615312']
I actually love this law. I'm very against stretch tires. Putting stretched tires on wide rims is just stupid. A 18x9.5 rim is made to have a 245-285 wide tire. That's it. Anything under a 245 for a 18x9.5 rim is stupid and dangerious.
It's never a good idea to legislate in stuff like this. Next you'll see laws preventing cars being lower then X inches and productions cars all need to be raised.

Get where I'm going with this? Less laws are better.
I believe most states have laws related to how low cars can be (mostly regulated through headlight height from the ground). While I philosophically agree with your position, the reality is that roads are part of the public trust*, and some measure of conformity is necessary to mitigate risks associated with driving. Some vehicle safety laws are arbitrary and capricious, but the slippery slope argument notwithstanding, some road safety laws are indeed necessary. It's a fine line, to be sure, but I feel comfortable saying that these cars are unsafe and pose a legitimate risk. Now, to add to your argument, the part that concerns me is that the government's usual approach is to legislate with an axe rather than a scalpel, so I can see them banning modified suspension rather than banning cars with unsafely modified suspension, and that is obviously not good.

Also, it's "fewer laws" not "less laws." ;-)

*Yes, I'm more than familiar with common law and therefore realize that I'm speaking metaphorically in that even though highways are not natural, the spirit of the common law principal applies just the same.
[/quote]
Not in disagreement with you. Think we both agree.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrakeValle
We don't know everyone's situation though. Some might have paid off their car already, but due to extensive medical bills for a loved one that was in the hosptial, they can no longer afford the maintenance/tires.

I do agree though, at some point a vehicle needs to be deemed as "not fit road".

So it is OK for this person to endanger everyone else on the road because they cannot afford proper maintenance? When strangers start to notice this while driving it has to be pretty bad.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 564 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by Mr.E.G.' timestamp='1431873912' post='23615625
[quote name='rob-2' timestamp='1431843635' post='23615455']
[quote name='riceball777' timestamp='1431824033' post='23615312']
I actually love this law. I'm very against stretch tires. Putting stretched tires on wide rims is just stupid. A 18x9.5 rim is made to have a 245-285 wide tire. That's it. Anything under a 245 for a 18x9.5 rim is stupid and dangerious.
It's never a good idea to legislate in stuff like this. Next you'll see laws preventing cars being lower then X inches and productions cars all need to be raised.

Get where I'm going with this? Less laws are better.
I believe most states have laws related to how low cars can be (mostly regulated through headlight height from the ground). While I philosophically agree with your position, the reality is that roads are part of the public trust*, and some measure of conformity is necessary to mitigate risks associated with driving. Some vehicle safety laws are arbitrary and capricious, but the slippery slope argument notwithstanding, some road safety laws are indeed necessary. It's a fine line, to be sure, but I feel comfortable saying that these cars are unsafe and pose a legitimate risk. Now, to add to your argument, the part that concerns me is that the government's usual approach is to legislate with an axe rather than a scalpel, so I can see them banning modified suspension rather than banning cars with unsafely modified suspension, and that is obviously not good.

Also, it's "fewer laws" not "less laws." ;-)

*Yes, I'm more than familiar with common law and therefore realize that I'm speaking metaphorically in that even though highways are not natural, the spirit of the common law principal applies just the same.
[/quote]
Not in disagreement with you. Think we both agree.
[/quote]

This - in agreement with both of you.

While I think the line between functional and hellaflush is quite distinct for car enthusiasts and those understanding vehicle modification in general, it's very easy to lump the vast majority of car modification into a single group.

As said, I could see a dull spoon being used to cut the differences between the two rather than a sharp razor to differentiate.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just some insight on what is actually banned
http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/publicati...ng_driving.pdf