Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

if you could only have one car...

Old 06-08-2007, 05:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverSled,Jun 8 2007, 06:50 AM
I fail to see why anyone with $85K to spend on a car would require the input of others to make his choice.
BINGO, best answer yet!

Possible reasons:
1) they're in dream land
2) gonna leverage themselves to the hilt
3) didn't acquire the funds by working for them
4) attention whoring
5) ???
Old 06-08-2007, 06:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ultima GTR.. or maybe a Noble..
Old 06-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSled,Jun 8 2007, 04:50 AM
I fail to see why anyone with $85K to spend on a car would require the input of others to make his choice.
1. Because they'd like the driving opinions of similar-minded people.
2. Because other people may have considered other vehicles they have not.
3. Because other people may have problems or warnings with cars they are considering.

$85k isn't an obscene amount of money to spend. Especially if you're combining the function of two vehicles. Instead of picking up a fourth car, we traded in the SUV and bought an AWD sedan (RS4) that is being used for road trips and winter driving as well as spirited daily driving to work.

Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean there isn't a good reason for it.

When we were thinking about car options, people's first-hand driving impressions of the RS4 helped me steer towards that car. It revs about as high as an AP2, but with a V8 and AWD. It's like a less raucous big brother to the S2k in some ways.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Jun 8 2007, 05:03 AM
BINGO, best answer yet!

Possible reasons:
1) they're in dream land
4) attention whoring
5) ???
Love the nice people on this board. Glad to know that I'm either in dream land, going to leverage myself to the hilt, am a trust fund baby, or an attention whore for posting this question. My bad.

How about

5) Interested in what informed car fans think about the cars in a given price range
Old 06-08-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit,Jun 8 2007, 11:28 AM
1. Because they'd like the driving opinions of similar-minded people.
2. Because other people may have considered other vehicles they have not.
3. Because other people may have problems or warnings with cars they are considering.

$85k isn't an obscene amount of money to spend. Especially if you're combining the function of two vehicles. Instead of picking up a fourth car, we traded in the SUV and bought an AWD sedan (RS4) that is being used for road trips and winter driving as well as spirited daily driving to work.

Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean there isn't a good reason for it.

When we were thinking about car options, people's first-hand driving impressions of the RS4 helped me steer towards that car. It revs about as high as an AP2, but with a V8 and AWD. It's like a less raucous big brother to the S2k in some ways.

I agree 100%.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:20 AM

2008 Dodge Viper
Old 06-08-2007, 11:49 AM

GTR
Old 06-08-2007, 05:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Jun 8 2007, 05:03 AM
Possible reasons:
1) they're in dream land
4) attention whoring
5) ???
This reply sounds like:
1. Jealousy
2. Someone who can't afford an $85,000 car
3. More jealousy
4. Doesn't understand that "successful" people are MORE likely to seek out informed opinions before committing $85k on a car, not less.
5. ???

Just kidding. But seriously, WTF was the point of that reply? How do you get to "didn't acquire the funds by working for them" from wanting opinions on vehicles?!!!!

He wasn't asking "what car should I buy."

He asked "what car would YOU buy."

I personally try and gather as much informed opinion as possible before steamrolling into a big commitment... isn't that a good thing?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:24 PM

That Chris S guy 5hit up my thread that was kind of the same thing. Sometimes people just like to talk about things with like minded people. Do you really think if someone says I would buy 'X' the person will change their mind and buy 'Y'? No, of course not, but it can still be fun to have a discussion. Sometimes other people have ways of looking at things you don't and it can help you make a decision.

Seriously, Chris S I don't know what your deal is or why you have such a chip on your shoulder, but if these kind of threads bother you so much just STFU and don't respond to them. Between you and y2ks2k it's like being in middle school again around here.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:58 PM

Sorry dude, didn't mean to get anyone so upset! Just a bunch of casual bantering about cars, maybe my sarcasm doesn't come through so well on the net. I enjoy chatting about cars too, and will try to tame it down.

Quick Reply: if you could only have one car...