Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

What if you won a free car you did not need...

Old 08-16-2016, 02:04 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,637 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Congrats on winning, that's pretty awesome to win a car. I watched the video, you didn't look too displeased
Old 08-18-2016, 08:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
I put forth our arrangement when we got married, we each pay half of our shared expenses and then keep our respective money to buy what we want with NO VETO authority. I always knew she would do much better than me, but if I can afford a sports car or come home with a motorcycle, she can't say boo. We also have no kids. She makes over double what I do and it all goes for shoes and makeup. I still have it fine because if I want to drop $1,000 on a life sized Darth Vader for the basement, bam, life sized Darth Vader in the basement.
Congrats!
I am more curious how you came up with this arrangement. Always interesting hearing how married couples set up their financial lives differently.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:58 AM

Received 426 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by suprmonky73
Originally Posted by vader1' timestamp='1469647775' post='24026480
I put forth our arrangement when we got married, we each pay half of our shared expenses and then keep our respective money to buy what we want with NO VETO authority. I always knew she would do much better than me, but if I can afford a sports car or come home with a motorcycle, she can't say boo. We also have no kids. She makes over double what I do and it all goes for shoes and makeup. I still have it fine because if I want to drop $1,000 on a life sized Darth Vader for the basement, bam, life sized Darth Vader in the basement.
Congrats!
I am more curious how you came up with this arrangement. Always interesting hearing how married couples set up their financial lives differently.

I proposed it, she was fine with it pretty much because she makes more. I knew my income would be enough to buy or do all the things I want (within reason) but someday I might want something like a motor cycle and I wanted veto power off the table. She is like Emelda Marcos with shoes and has a few hundred pair. She did not want me getting on her for being a hoarder of things like shoes, clothes and cosmetics so she was game. It probably does not work when the person who make more proposes it, but since I made less, she was like "your funeral".

It makes it easier that we don't have kids, and we are late forties so that won't be an issue going forward. But before we moved, there was a spare bedroom in our house I called "the sanctuary" which I was not allowed into. The mysterious door opened because it was time to box everything up and she had a 6x8 pile of clothes stacked 4 feet high, most with tags on it. The bi-fold door standard spare bedroom closet had shoes covering the whole floor of the closet, but stacked about three feet solid, with another large pile out of the floor. She made four boxes marked "skin care" for the moving truck that each weighed about 60 pounds. We took 12 car loads of her clothing and shoes to Goodwill.

So my wife is kind of a compulsive shopper (HOARDER) but I don't have to worry about it costing me a nickel and she likes the arrangement because she can buy all the crap she wants and I don't say anything. We just have an arrangement that I handed down by decree that once a year we go into the sanctuary in the new place and declutter. I am enforcing a couple carloads of women's consumer crap to go to goowill, mostly unused, so that we don't go overboard with the hoarding. But it is not like she is deranged like the people on tv, she just makes really good cash and like to buy tons of crap. I want to make a youtube video of all her sh*t but she'd kill me.