Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why do you hate mustangs?

Old 09-16-2004, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why do you hate mustangs?

Ok...I'm one of the rare breeds. there used to be the camaro against mustang wars and the grand nationals against the mustang wars. everybody just seems to hate them. i am a proud owner of a 2004 s2000 and a 1993 mustang gt. they are both fun to drive and both have their purpose of driving fun. my mustang has some heavy mods and it is a fun weekend burn the tires car. at 1500-2000 rpm's, try flooring an s2000 and go sideways. it's just not going to happen. when i get out of the mustang...a little ear deaf with the loud exhaust and hum at 2000rpm, i am so glad to climb in the s2000 and enjoy the ease of cornering and hearing a really wonderful engine that sounds like it's going to explode! the shifting, clutch, seating position, ergonomics and the flat out sweet looks and fun-to-drive factor is hard to beat. sure beats those drum brakes in the mustang.
if you want to buy a car that will beat a mustang or any v-8 powered car, the s2000 isn't the car for you. buy a corvette if you want to piss on a mustang...that's what it is there for. the s2000 is the kind of car you should buy if you truly enjoy to drive. it just does it all right while getting you from place to place getting 26 mpg. do you feel like driving a civic today (low rpm's) or do you feel like racing? (rev it up)...it's the ultimate in commuting. hehe.
i'm just tired of hearing the mustang bashing...focus your anger on the drivers and not the car...how many of you out there have drove a mustang with a v-8 and not had a little smile on your face when you got out? sure their behind on technology and everybody has one but man they sound good don't they?
Old 09-16-2004, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Terminator Cobras and Mach 1s. Don't really care much about the lesser Mustangs, though.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:57 AM

how the hell do you average 26mpg on the s2k??? i'm averaging 16.5mpg!!
Old 09-17-2004, 02:26 AM

I've never been a big Mustang fan but I can see the appeal. They are cheap to acquire, fast off the showroom floor and unlike the S2000, can see large gains from basic bolt on's. But like you mentioned, everybody has got one. And it seems like a lot of people that have one don't know anything about them. I asked a co-worker what size engine his 03' GT had and he couldn't tell me. Most people at a casual glance couldn't tell the difference between a $18,000 base Coupe and a $35,000 Cobra. I had the oppurtunity to ride in the previously mentioned co-workers 2003 GT and was unimpressed with the interiors fit and finish (not that you would confuse an S2000's interior for that of an Audi) , the front seat comfort and I swear I could feel the body flex when going over bumps.

I'm however a GM fan at heart. When I bought my S2000, I gave serious consideration to an SS or WS6 F-body. And as for the Grand National, give me an 87' GNX any day.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:07 AM

well there are people that own all types of sports cars that don't know squat about their car. this guy at work here has a crx and he's the type of person telling you that his car is running 10's yet he's really inconsistent with his tech talk. the interior and electronics (at least in my set of years 87-93) is very poor but i have been one of the lucky ones to have almost no problems with the car...that could be that it still has low milage though. i like some gm's as well...actually had a '92 z28 for a while but it was really unreliable so i lost a lot of faith in their cars. so as you can see i'm not really brand loyal...i had a miata for four years and would have bought another instead of the s2000 except i really wanted something different. i used to look at a car and before anything i would have an opinion on the car because it was 'a ford'. i used to hate the rx7 when they came out because it was a mazda and now i wish so badly i would have gotten one...how stupid i was back then. i try to be objective about the car (unless it's a dodge

by the way i average 26mpg because i keep the revs down...so paranoid about hurting my little S
Old 09-17-2004, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by VTEC_Junkie,Sep 17 2004, 04:57 AM
how the hell do you average 26mpg on the s2k??? i'm averaging 16.5mpg!!
How many miles per tank do you get? I have owned my car 3 years and have gotten on average 240-280 miles per tank.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by suvh8r,Sep 17 2004, 04:40 AM
How many miles per tank do you get? I have owned my car 3 years and have gotten on average 240-280 miles per tank.
180 average, i think.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:27 AM

i think the guido factor has a lot to do with mustang hate. chicks dig em though.

65 fastback for me.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:27 AM

Mustangs are OK for what they are. I had a 1997 Cobra mustang and even though it seemed to get flack from the 302 mustang crowd for lack of torque (sound familiar) it put down some pretty effortless speed for minimal capital investment... and the 7500 RPM redline sounded pretty sweet on a V8. It was pretty unsophisticated (by today's standards) but managed to handle fairly well and was a good all around performance car for the street. The chassis was a VERY highly developed antique... so it did fairly well for what it was. I'm curious to see how the new mustang chassis does with the scheduled solid rear axle. Have to wait for the Cobra version to get IRS.

I have no desire to own another mustang (been there, done that) but I wish the mustang well and watch it with interest. It's decent performance for minimal cash.

Almost anything beats what I'm driving right now (2001 Toyota pickup) as I mull over my next sporty purchase... tough choices... there are many excellent sporty cars to chose from nowdays.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:29 AM

Well, part of is is the average clientel. The people I know that own one, don't take care of it, and then think they're hot S$#t on the streets. Plus, you see a lot of people "pimp" out V6 mustangs, which is a joke in my mind.

Here is the other problem. For all their speed and "power" the build quality is crap. I drove a brand new rental for 2 weeks and the seats almost came apart, the fake side scoop leaked water on the seat belt retractor (making the seat belt wet), it pulled to the right, and the roof leaked (on a hardtop? come on ford). And this was a BRAND NEW one.

There are some quality mustang drivers out there, with some really great cars, but considering the other 95% of owners, I'm not impressed.

Quick Reply: Why do you hate mustangs?