Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Why do you hate mustangs?

Old 09-17-2004, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBY2KS2K,Sep 17 2004, 02:26 AM
I've never been a big Mustang fan but I can see the appeal. They are cheap to acquire, fast off the showroom floor and unlike the S2000, can see large gains from basic bolt on's. But like you mentioned, everybody has got one. And it seems like a lot of people that have one don't know anything about them. I asked a co-worker what size engine his 03' GT had and he couldn't tell me. Most people at a casual glance couldn't tell the difference between a $18,000 base Coupe and a $35,000 Cobra.

I just don't care for them. I've driven various models and they just didn't do anything for me.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:37 AM
Banned

I don't hate Mustangs. I just don't like them very much. Even with a very fast '04 Cobra, I'd still rather have something else, like a C5, which goes for about mid-$30K's now or even less.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

i have owned a 89 and 97 mustang gt convertible, both 5 speeds, the 5.0 engine was better than the 4.6 that came in my 97. both cars developed problems durring and out of warranty that made me question their future reliability...in other words they were old age technology with crap quality of construction!

they handle poorly in the rain and need irs badly.

i still have a soft spot for the breed, especially the older ones...and you can't beat the used car prices as being a gift for a v8 4 seater with a stick...but i don't think i would subject myself to ford quality in a car (trucks seem to be better) again, least not the old age configuration of the mustang.

the new car maybe better but i need to perceive the quality and reliability before i buy again. in their time, the 1960's and early 1970's for about 8-9 years they were very ver cool cars, whatever happend to them was the wrong program.
Old 09-17-2004, 05:42 PM

I don't have a mustang but I have driven one years ago when my friend was considering buying and I was not biased at that time. Now I'm biased and although I don't hate one, I don't care about it.

To me, it's every bit a general average american will likely want, size and feature on paper, big engine muscular lines and feature that others have. But it just lacks all the things the less smart people will realize, the art in them. The seats, panels, buttons, shift, everything. To me, driving a sports car means loving the art of driving, which makes me different than those who know nothing about their car but just want a full size car to go from a to b. Those are the people who just care about going from point to point, and a lot of mustang buyers either burn tire and go straight, or who know little about sports car but wanna buy one to impress people.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:56 PM

I'm not a big Mustang guy 'cuz I was raised on GMs. The Mustang is however a Ford I would own. IMO the 94-04 Mustangs, and the Pinto-based ones from the 70s just aren't that great. I absolutely HATE the interiors in the 94-04 models...so bland and uninspiring.

The Mustang I would like to own however, is a 93 Cobra. Something about the Fox-bodies makes me want to own one.

I think the reason it's always the Mustang vs. another car is simply because Ford doesn't really have another performance car to use as a measure. Yeah they had the Thunderbird TCs and SCs, but people port those things over to 302s anways, so it's still essentially a Mustang.

In contrast the Grand Nationals were a complete anomaly in American Muscle car history. For the first time something other than a V8 smoked the crap out of a V8-powered rival. I also distinctly recall someone swapping a GN turbo 6 into a Fox-body GT, and then going to a Mustang-only show and spanking REAL Mustangs on the strip. Needless to say, people were pissed.

And lastly, Mustangs are so commonplace now, it's really hard to make one that's different than someone else's.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:44 PM

I c mustangs everywhere I mean everywhere......why didnt ford ever change the design??? Can barely tell the diff between corba and mustang!
Old 09-19-2004, 06:44 PM

I worked for a Ford dealership back when I was in high school and owned a 95 Probe GT. I know that sounds dorky now, but back then that was a hot car for a high schooler. Back to the point at hand, I drove Mustangs all day long and at one time had the oppurtunity to buy one at a substantial discount. I passed it up, because the only advantage the Mustang had was horsepower. The seats were then and are now the most uncomfortable seats I have ever set in and are about a foot off the floor. Makes you feel like you are on it, not in it, and felt very heavy in corners. That is compared to a Probe.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:29 PM

The thing about the Mustang, and the F-bodies for that matter, for me is the fact that when you're sitting in them, the hood actually, or at least seems to climb upwards even from the windscreen level, then go down beyond your sightline...They look and feel so ponderous just sitting in them.

Fast as hell, but they feel like a Volvo: tankish.
Old 09-19-2004, 09:42 PM

I respect mustangs for their power especially the new cobra, but my bro had one for 2 years (a GT) and the thing was falling apart after two years....too many recalls to count....bad interior just not worth the money, I mean my $12,000 plain civic had a better interior and such, I want a car that will be reliable and not fall apart on me, so I stay away from mustangs, cameros and such, plus I want to turn also and not just go in a straight line.