Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

30k budget ... where would your money go?

Old 06-14-2018, 01:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you find the Golf R boring, how about an M140? You'd have a chunk of change from 30k budget (17 plates go for 25k?) and that engine will be far more exciting than the golfs 2.0, plus rwd, and the ZF 8 speed box is meant to be great and idle for a daily driver
Old 06-15-2018, 01:30 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Christ, Jason - you sound as old as me! How did you manage catch me up?

'Tis true I enjoy playing with money and my cunning plans rather than spending it - and these days I seem to enjoy cycling more than I do driving.

But I do still enjoy the occasional drive in my old bangers and thus will likely keep them forever. I just cannot countenance spending loads of money on a modern, over-complicated and thus unreliable PoS.
i must be reading your comments too much Nick

My NA, stockish S2000 always delights me on a drive. It's not fast but it's probably fast enough, it's a lot more compliant than my charged one, it never breaks, the gearbox and engine are sublime.. i really cant fault it.

I guess if you wanted to schlepp down the motorway (why?) then it wouldnt be in its element but it will happily do it assuming you don't need a chat.

i have been pondering trying to get the charged one track fit or buying a lotus. i was erring towards the latter for drama but the idea of taking a £50k car on track and being shunted by some tool in a £500 Corsa put me off. I think the S2 would stand me at £15k with a load of mods and be about as quick with me peddling (and less worried). I just dont get the appeal of a new M4 with its corsa sound effects or any of the other popular stuff. the things mentioned here largely send a shiver down my spine.. Porsche (it'll break), Hot hath (fwd), BMW 135i/140 (same as my M3 but sound crap). I think the OP should buy a lotus then
Old 06-15-2018, 03:36 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
i must be reading your comments too much Nick

My NA, stockish S2000 always delights me on a drive. It's not fast but it's probably fast enough, it's a lot more compliant than my charged one, it never breaks, the gearbox and engine are sublime.. i really cant fault it.

I guess if you wanted to schlepp down the motorway (why?) then it wouldnt be in its element but it will happily do it assuming you don't need a chat.

i have been pondering trying to get the charged one track fit or buying a lotus. i was erring towards the latter for drama but the idea of taking a £50k car on track and being shunted by some tool in a £500 Corsa put me off. I think the S2 would stand me at £15k with a load of mods and be about as quick with me peddling (and less worried). I just dont get the appeal of a new M4 with its corsa sound effects or any of the other popular stuff. the things mentioned here largely send a shiver down my spine.. Porsche (it'll break), Hot hath (fwd), BMW 135i/140 (same as my M3 but sound crap). I think the OP should buy a lotus then

Sort of how I got stuck with mine, really.

Failing that, an older Lotus might be an option as a track weapon. New ones do seem rather a lot of money.

Clamshells aside, they're largely Meccano. And Toyota bits are reliable.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You can put a K series in for not too much money and i think there are a few rattling around with the VW 2.0T lump in from the Mk4 Golf Gti / Seat Leon Cupra R - those engines can be nudged to 300ish bhp and are good for 400+bhp with a bit spent on mods.

What put me off the Elise and still does is access, the fact that the screen surround is NOT structural and that the interior is rudimentary at best. If you were tracking it, you'd need ear plugs.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:31 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

With regards to tracking, here a few options based on my observations/acquaintances experience:
  1. Porsche GT3 which is designed for it. One of these is out of the budget I suspect.
  2. Hot hatch (Clio or EP3 CTR). FWD of course, so probably not suitable either.
  3. MX-5. RWD, handling, great fun, but probably not enough poke for you. Do not add FI as you'll end up fixing it, and it won't be significantly quicker than a stock S2000.
  4. Caterham. Designed for it, relatively simple to work on and replacement bits are apparently not too expensive. I'd suggest renting one from BaT for an evening session at Donington to see how you get on.
  5. Elise, can be made to go very fast with FI but this will make it unreliable.
  6. Exige, probably a more reliable bet that Elise, as charger is factory fitted. No idea whether can be done in budget.
Here you go: https://www.bookatrack.com/used-car-...perlight-sv/51

Last edited by lovegroova; 06-16-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:54 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by unclefester
You can put a K series in for not too much money and i think there are a few rattling around with the VW 2.0T lump in from the Mk4 Golf Gti / Seat Leon Cupra R - those engines can be nudged to 300ish bhp and are good for 400+bhp with a bit spent on mods.

What put me off the Elise and still does is access, the fact that the screen surround is NOT structural and that the interior is rudimentary at best. If you were tracking it, you'd need ear plugs.
Good point about the 'screen, Pat.

Then again, there is a real roll bar above and behind your head, unlike the S2000.

There is a 260BHP Exige S2 Sports Plus on PH for 31,5 large ATM. Looks well...
Old 06-16-2018, 11:59 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

We're off topic I suspect as I'm not sure Woody wants a track car

That cat you linked, LG, has 150bhp and having driven a 145 bhp one I think it would fall short even on a circuit like Donny

The rental idea has crossed my mind and I've been in their showroom a lot.. def an option but would probably err to a quicker one just so it's usable on more tracks. They strike me as very niche so not easy to shift I suspect.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi all ..... thanks for everyone’s input into this thread . I ended up getting a very nice little z4m coupe that I’ll be running along side my S2k . It booked in with the paint correction company and I’ll get some pics up and thoughts of it