Car Talk - Non S2000 General Motoring and Non S2000 Car Talk

Somebody please set my expectations

Old 03-19-2010, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Somebody please set my expectations

Just came back from a brief supermarket trip to be greeted by a bloke who handed me a note saying his name and number and that he had just seen a silver BMW smack the back of the landcruiser, set the alarm off, crack my bumper and brake his own indicator.

He gave me the note and I have phoned the police, recorded the crime, been to the local cop shop as I had to sign my statement for the failure to stop.

I was handed a producer but the cop shop event went like this:

I walk in and see a member of police staff (not a BiB) so I guess a Civvie if you will who asks me

Him - "Is this quick?" in a gruff tone
Me - "Depends how efficient you are at your job doesn't it?"

He then leaves.

Another guy turns up and takes my statement and the written note by the witness etc etc
Apparently this now goes to Woking's car unit and they will proceed with it.

When I was handed the producer I did say "I presume that you will therefore be doing your utmost to find this guy if I have to come back here within 7 days?" The guy shrugged.

So do we think the cops will do anything to track him / her down? They have the make, colour, reg number and an independant witness (complete with phone number).

Well?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:32 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

depends if the driver of the other car has some cash, lives in a nice house, works for a living, etc ie has something to lose

if not ie he is a mobile scumbag, then you will be told it's an insurance matter

just a prediction of course...
Old 03-19-2010, 04:36 AM

Gad that's what I expect. The question I guess a little more plainly is "Will they bother going after him?"
Old 03-19-2010, 04:39 AM

Assuming that the the drivers the registered owner and keeper I expect they’ll send someone round his house and have a few words and/or arrest him.

Call you insurance company, give them the details too.
I think I’m right in saying that the insurance issue and the criminal offence are different things.
Assuming he’s insured then the insurance company can track him down and claim against his insurance..

If he’s not insured then you’re a bit buggered regardless of what the police do.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:39 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

they have to prioritise you see

it must be hard deciding whether to knock on the door of a house on a pleasant road

or negotiate the staffies and the ankle deep mud and knock on the door of a caravan
Old 03-19-2010, 04:43 AM

If you have given them the reg no of the car then YES.
Nice easy win for them

Otherwise NO
Old 03-19-2010, 04:45 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Can I just add a vote of praise for the 'concerned citizen' who CBA to leave a note? It's good that there are decent people out there.

I suspect that unless the Landbruiser has a mis-spaced number plate or there is an error in the documentation (ie any chance to rape money for HMRC) plod CGAF anout the whole thing; too much paperwork involved.

Your insurance company might pursue it though.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:47 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As it happened in a supermarket car park, have you approached the staff to see if they have any CCTV footage ?

I don't know if the police genuinely couldn't give a feck or whether they don't have the resources to be able to give a feck ?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:54 AM
TRW

They wont do anything at all. I had almost exactly the same thing happen about a year ago.

After some of my own investigation I found the reg, drivers name and telephone number of where he worked. Handed it all to the police and they did nothing at all. When I checked up on them they said that they had tried the number but couldnt get through. Funny that because I managed to and threatened the company with going to court unless they paid up, next day I got a call saying they would pass it to their insurer to deal with and the driver owned up.

Keep the pressure on the police for some results.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by LTB,Mar 19 2010, 12:47 PM
As it happened in a supermarket car park, have you approached the staff to see if they have any CCTV footage ?
I asked that before I left and unfortunately no was the answer.

They wont do anything at all. I had almost exactly the same thing happen about a year ago.
That's what concerns me.

Keep the pressure on the police for some results.
Seeig as they have given me a producer I am damn sure I will

Quick Reply: Somebody please set my expectations