New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

S2000 rollbar and East Coast race tracks

Old 05-27-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 rollbar and East Coast race tracks

I did a lot of searching on this on various forums and club websites, but couldn't ever really find a definitive answer. I figured the way to get the best information is to ask the people who own the car... I'm thinking of getting an S2000, and right now one of the most important factors in what car I get is if it will be legal for the race track. I've had a Miata for the past few years, and since it doesn't have a rollbar, I was never able to take it to the track, which is pretty much a tragedy.

I wanted to know if the S2000's roll bar is mostly legal, or if I'll mostly have problems getting on the track with it in stock form. I know it's legal for some tracks, but are they mostly an exception? Or are there just one or two tracks that make a big deal out of it? What popular tracks and clubs do not allow the roll bar? Which clubs are okay with it? Also, what track day and time trial organizers do you guys run with in general along the East Coast? I know a few motorcycle clubs that I track my bike with, but I mostly ignored the car track day world since I've never been able to join in the fun.

Thanks for any info you can give me! This is a really big and important question for myself.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:36 AM

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

people will chime in. i'm sure.

The S2000 doesn't have a roll bar, the roll hoops do little when it comes to tracking.

Most tracks won't let you on without a hardtop or aftermarket roll bar but some private clubs will allow you to run.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a lot of searching on this on various forums and club websites, but couldn't ever really find a definitive answer. I figured the way to get the best information is to ask the people who own the car... I'm thinking of getting an S2000, and right now one of the most important factors in what car I get is if it will be legal for the race track. I've had a Miata for the past few years, and since it doesn't have a rollbar, I was never able to take it to the track, which is pretty much a tragedy.

Just wondering, what are you other car options?

I wanted to know if the S2000's roll bar is mostly legal, or if I'll mostly have problems getting on the track with it in stock form.

Most tracks will let you run w/ the stock roll bar (just as long as you past the broomstick test).

I know it's legal for some tracks, but are they mostly an exception? Or are there just one or two tracks that make a big deal out of it?

NJMP --- Pass w/ stock roll bar (broomstick test)
Watkins Glen --- Pass w/ stock roll bar (broomstick test)
Monticello --- Pass w/ stock roll bar (broomstick test)
Pocono --- Pass w/ stock roll bar (broomstick test)
Limerock --- NEED an after market roll bar
VIR --- NEED an after market roll bar
Summit Point --- not sure

What popular tracks and clubs do not allow the roll bar? Which clubs are okay with it?

Its the tracks discretion on whether you should have an aftermarket bar.

Also, what track day and time trial organizers do you guys run with in general along the East Coast?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=619845&st=0
http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/
http://www.nasanortheast.org/
http://www.scda1.com/
http://www.nasaracing.net/
https://www.trackdaze.com/

I know a few motorcycle clubs that I track my bike with, but I mostly ignored the car track day world since I've never been able to join in the fun.
Thanks for any info you can give me! This is a really big and important question for myself.

Welcome! Hope you find an s2k soon! Also, do you think it's a good idea to learn how to ride a bike at the track? I was thinking of getting a track bike. It would not be registered & I would never use it on the street. I have no prior bike experience.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:11 AM

Thank you so much for all the info iluveketchup. Does NHIS and Watkins Glen require a proper roll bar? Hmm what over tracks are there on this coast.... I guess anything south of VIR like Road Atlanta and the florida tracks are too much of an epoch road trip to matter to me at this point.

I asked about clubs because I remembered reading the SCCA Solo 1 rule book seemingly requiring a roll bar. I want to get into some time trial competition with what ever car I get. The broomstick test uses the windshield to the roll hoop, right? Looks like I need to take my helmet to some dealers this weekend... and bring a broomstick too perhaps.

For car options, I'm looking for something racey and track legal, as well as being relatively cheap...very low 20s or lower, and preferably with a certified pre owned warentee, because one of the reasons I'm retiring the Miata is because I have to get it towed to a repair shop 2 or 3 times a year, and I drive a ton for work. I love the Solstice GXP's power/price ratio, but no roll hoop. I'd really like something with 4 seats, but the Hyundai Genesis is too new to be sold used (what a shame)... looking at the Mini as well, but I'd prefer to stay RWD... RX-8 seems to be a cheap candidate.. mileage is horrific (but price of fuel can be offset by cheaper price), and I hear the engine isn't reliable... I hope it can handle regular track duty and still be a daily..... aaaand anything else you guys can suggest??

Oh, and as far as motorcycles go, I couldn't possibly tell you not to do it. You feel like such a badass owning it. Coming from a autocrossing a Miata every weekend, people didnt really appreciate that I was a real racer at heart... but when you say oh yeah, I take the bike to the track now and then, then they think it's cool. I haven't been into bikes until about 2-3 years ago, so you have a LOT to learn about their dynamics. I did a lot of reading on the physics of it, and it's all pretty interesting. It's more different from cars than you'd think. They're pretty intimidating on the track (especially with corner entry.. go in too hot with a car and you push, maybe off the track. go in too hot with a bike and you're buying a new suite, bodywork, clipons, pegs, etx). You'll get run the hell over by everybody else for the first year, but price wise, your entry cost is similar costs to say go karts, but you're racing on full size race tracks, and accelerating as fast as a Ferrari. You're guna learn a lot slower than you will in a car, because it will be extremely difficult to overcome your survival reactions if you have no experience, but it's so worth it, just for the thrill and satisfaction of doing it.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:45 PM

you can run rime rock with no roll bar, but you have to have a hardtop.