Rocky Mountain S2000 Owners Rocky Mountain Owners Club including Colorado

For those without a front plate...

Old 04-13-2003, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those without a front plate...

... got stopped by a state trooper today. Asked if I knew the law about needing one. I said that I was under the impression it was being reconsidered by the state legislature. He stated it failed, asked for license, registration, insurance... Then he smiled and asked what it was like to drive "one of these."

Got off with a written warning. Front plate back on, and as ugly as ever.

At least it will deflect a bit of the gravel on the roads up here!

Enjoy the weather.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:09 AM

I decided recently to remove my front plate after watching the roads here for cars running with and without. I live near Cincinnati, and the front plate is required in Ohio. However, I quickly lost count of the number of cars, trucks, and SUVs running without a front plate. I also recall hearing that the state legislature is considering eliminating the front plate requirement.

Should I find myself being asked about it, I'll state that I was teaching my daughter to drive it, she pulled in a bit too far in the garage and cracked the plate holder, and I haven't had a chance to get to the dealer for a replacement. Of course, then I'll have to go home and put it back on.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:13 AM

I was going use the same excuse - but blame it on my wife!

I don't understand the double standard - motorcycles no, cars and trucks, yes...

Enjoy the frontplateless days! It looks aweful when you put it back on!
Old 04-13-2003, 09:16 AM

I have a great story about an incident my friend had with a cop about having a front plate.

It all began as he pulled into a gas station to get gas. First thing he noticed was Mr. Police man inside. He pulled in with the front of his car facing the storefront. The officer immediately noticed the front plate missing. My friend topped off this tank, and headed inside to pay. At the same time the cop was coming out. While inside he noticed the cop was just hanging around, almost like he was waiting for him to come out. He decided to kill some time and wait for him to leave. After relieving himself the cop was still there. So he waited inside the gas station.

20 minutes pass by and they are still waiting for each other. The gas station attendant is getting annoyed of him now just standing around. At the same time the cop is getting impatient waiting. So my friend decided to venture out. The cop gets out his car and ask, "where is your front license plate?" He pointed to his window where his plate is wedged and said, "my front plate is right there officer, I don't have mounting holes in my bumper for plates (bumper plugs)." Cop goes to the front of the car to check it out and replies, "you still need to attach your plate to the "front" of your car."

He replied with a smart remark, "if you are going to give me a hard time about not having a front plate, I expect you to do the same to vettes, and trans ams." AT THE SAME TIME, a C5 pulls up, WITHOUT a front plate. He points to the vette and says, "see no front plate, if I get a ticket I want to see him receive a ticket also! I will accept the ticket as long as he gets one."

The cop is furious now. He walks back to he patrol car and drives off. My friend has the largest grin on his face ever. Nothing better than shutting Mr. Police Officer up.

Call me a rebel but I will never bolt on my front plate.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:34 AM

Three $35 tickets and still no front plate. I will not give in to the MAN!
Old 04-14-2003, 10:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nin009
[B]Three $35 tickets and still no front plate.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:40 AM

Unfortunately, I live in a very small town, and, with a rather high profile vehicle, would get hit almost every day. I have passed the same cop every day, on the same stretch of road, for the past five days... saw him with a truck pulled over yesterday - it had no front plate.

Think painting the bracket the same color as the body might help?

At least it is a "Supports Wildlife" plate - kind of purple and blue - looks better than the green and white one.

Cognative dissonance.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:36 AM

Is there really any good reason for a front plate on your car? I don't have a front plate on any of my cars. Each time I get pulled over, it's the same story. "They don't make a front bracket for this car. While I've heard of suction cup versions, I never thought that would be safe at highway speeds. My front plate is in my trunk."

Is there anyone here that works in law enforcement that could ask an traffic officer what purpose this law servers? Is it in place to make it easier for an officer to run the plates? Is it for those cameras that take pictures of people running red lights? Is it for a flat surface to hit with a radar gun?

I've heard it explained to me before with the reasons mentioned above, but it just sounds silly to me.
--Curious
Old 04-15-2003, 08:12 AM

They just want to make cars that do not have front plates on look like crap.