S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Brakes Smoke Only Some of the Time

Old 03-20-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes Smoke Only Some of the Time

So I just filled up gas and noticed a nasty smell, looked down and it was my rear driver side brakes. Thinking back, Ive smelled this maybe 1 or 2 other times. Im assuming its the calipers seizing up, but what I dont get is that it only happens SOME of the time. I recently went on like a 2 hour trip and nothing happened, and Ive driven this thing hard more than enough, so why does it happens randomly? Its not like I drive with the e brake on or anything...
Old 03-20-2019, 07:34 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Friction is relevant.<Heat & application>Honda calipers need 100% maintenance …..
Old 03-21-2019, 07:40 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

When a caliper starts sticking, sometimes it gets stuck and sometimes it doesn't.

Its most likely a corroded caliper slide pin. Spinning it in a drill with a scuff pad, an some brake lube, will probably cure it. Or better yet, new pins, properly lubed.

It could also be the pads themselves getting hung up. Their metal edges are supposed to be lubed where they brush against those thin ss guides in the caliper.

It could also be a sticking e brake cable. Maybe it has to do with how forcefully you set it, and release it. Sometimes it releases ok, sometimes it gets hung up. Wjen was last time you lubed those cables? Never, right?
Old 03-21-2019, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
When a caliper starts sticking, sometimes it gets stuck and sometimes it doesn't.

Its most likely a corroded caliper slide pin. Spinning it in a drill with a scuff pad, an some brake lube, will probably cure it. Or better yet, new pins, properly lubed.

It could also be the pads themselves getting hung up. Their metal edges are supposed to be lubed where they brush against those thin ss guides in the caliper.

It could also be a sticking e brake cable. Maybe it has to do with how forcefully you set it, and release it. Sometimes it releases ok, sometimes it gets hung up. Wjen was last time you lubed those cables? Never, right?
That helps a ton, and I literally just bought this a coupec days ago, so Im finding kinks as I go along
Old 03-23-2019, 08:24 AM

More than likely it's time to rebuild the rear calipers, they are known for seizing. A good indicator would be to try the e-brake while you are moving and see how effective it is. Before the rebuild mine barely slowed the car, after I could almost get the rear to lock up.

I checked the slider pin first and it slid smoothly, it was definitely the piston. If you are a competent DIYer you can do it yourself, although a few special tools are necessary. Note it is one of the more frustrating jobs on the S2k. It was long enough ago that I can't remember exactly what it was, but I remember clearly I had some issue with piston reassembly. Maybe it was the seal, as described in this post https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-irela...1192052/page2/

All the posts I found for the rear caliper rebuild tutorials had image issues.

Hardtopguy sells the kit: https://hardtopguy.com/store/85.html

You can also purchase rebuilt ones if you don't want to attempt it yourself.