S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Coilover for Daily Driver

Old 01-25-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coilover for Daily Driver

I am looking for suggestions on coilovers for a daily driver s2000. I have read some post from a few years ago recommending the Blistein pss or pss9 and wanted to know if these are still recommended for mostly street use or are there any newer coilovers that anyone can recommend. I drive 10 to 15 miles a day so I just want something that won't be to harsh but will allow me to lower the s2000 and not regret it.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I absolutely loved my Bilstein PSS, they worked amazingly, better handling and better ride than stock. Very comfy, best way to describe it is them providing a very refined feel to the car. I actually prefer the PSS as the shock settings are set by top notch suspension engineers, sometimes adjustable shocks just give you more ways to mess things up. Bilstein has a lifetime warranty too. I wouldn't consider anything else. I ran them at about a 1.0 to 1.25 drop, and they worked great, perfect ride height no harshness, and they soaked up the bumps really well.
The following users liked this post:
nickngos2k (08-13-2019)
Old 01-25-2018, 06:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PSS for sure! Don't really need to mess with the soft/hard setting of the PSS9 as it's really an off/on switch. The PSS is already turn-on to hard and it rides relatively well. I have them and daily them for the past 4 years, no problems so far.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

kwv3's are another option. cant go wrong with those whether daily driving or track
Old 01-26-2018, 01:37 AM

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I've heard very good feedback on Bilstein PSS.
Old 01-26-2018, 04:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I absolutely loved my Bilstein PSS, they worked amazingly, better handling and better ride than stock. Very comfy, best way to describe it is them providing a very refined feel to the car. I actually prefer the PSS as the shock settings are set by top notch suspension engineers, sometimes adjustable shocks just give you more ways to mess things up. Bilstein has a lifetime warranty too. I wouldn't consider anything else. I ran them at about a 1.0 to 1.25 drop, and they worked great, perfect ride height no harshness, and they soaked up the bumps really well.
Did you buy your Blistein PSS brand new or used? It seems that they have gone up a few hundred dollars since a few years ago. I can't find them for much less than $1,110.00 brand new.

So it still seems that the Blistein PSS is the way to go for street cars. I don't want to drop it much more than an inch and don't care much for the adjustable feature as I probably won't be adjusting it. I just wanted to make sure they where still the best street coilovers as it seems some of the other coilovers have gone through multiple revisions but it seems they are still not as good as Blistein Pss for the street.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:12 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Another option, H&R coilovers. These are Bilstein pss, with H&R springs fitted in place of the Bilstein ones, and valving setup to match.

It comes down to how you want the front to rear bias. The Bilstein springs are heavily front biased, significantly moreso than even stock CR bias.

Each suspension change from Honda, which occurred every two years during production, moved the bias more forward, and more toward understeer. The CR was then a big jump from where '08 '09 left off. Bilstein is again jump forward from there.

The more forward understeer bias of CR is apparently faster around a track, but less fun on the street. Much of the auto journalist praise on the S was its 'daringly nuetral' bias. This was eroded as it slowly biased to understeer with each successive suspension tweak from Honda. Understeer is more user friendly for drivers raised on front wheel drive. But way less fun for skilled drivers.

The H&R spring rates are more nuetral biased. They use the same spring rate front and rear, whereas Bilstein is much stiffer front than rear. H&R springs are also considered very high quality.

Ironically, Bilstein pss is street oriented, with spring rates way too soft for serious track use (and ideal for street), yet uses spring rate front rear bias more suited to track. Never understood that.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:33 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I absolutely loved my Bilstein PSS...
What is the installation like?
Old 01-26-2018, 09:15 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Ive driven in my friends ap1 with pss, was very impressed with how compliant yet controlled they were. For street duty these totally would fit the bill for what it sounds like the OP wants.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
What is the installation like?

Same as installing a replacement set of stock shocks. Re-use stock tophats. Install like normal.

The only difference from stock in terms of install is the ride height adjustment and re-clocking ALL the affected bushings (if you're changing height).

Quick Reply: Coilover for Daily Driver