S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb
View Poll Results: How long for new springs to "settle"
Quick spirited drive around the block
43.48%
Drive it for a few days
13.04%
At least 2 weeks
43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have evidence that coilovers need time to settle?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:30 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by thanasis11
im done with this argument. let your springs sag. in the universe that i live in they dont thank god.
It must be an imaginary universe.

So you're an engineer correct? You should know that different material specifications and manufacturing techniques lead to different results. You should also know that pretty much everything comes in different levels of quality. Even raw materials have different levels of contaminents. Even women know that materials come in different levels of quality, just ask them about diamonds.

It is FACT that some springs do experience an initial settling. I have a friend that races a BMW 135. They installed their suspension and set the ride height. They did one track day/race and failed the post-race inspection beceause the car settled by over a 1/4". As this was post-race, the car was as light as it was going to get so weight was not an issue. Also, they were using pillowball mounts, so no rubber bushings to settle. I also somehow doubt all the suspension hard points moved 1/4".

Hell, I have a friend that raced in World Challenge. They had their Bosch bypass valve spring lose 20% of it's spring rate over the course of one race weekend on their supercharger setup.

Maybe you should have worded your question more specifically. For example, do Swift springs need time to settle? Do Tein springs need time to settle? Do some no-name chinese springs need time to settle? As worded, based on my experiences and those offered by others, many springs do need time to settle. In engineering, you learn something pretty fast, there's the ideal world and then there's the real world.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imaginary or not mine haven't changed a millimeter since i installed them 2 weeks ago as they shouldnt. if yours or your friend's are lower try a better brand. all im saying is that proper springs shouldnt sag just like an oem car. i have never heard of any oem car that sits lower after a month of driving from the showroom or even after a year.

Degradation
Many types of coil spring are wound in an annealed (soft) condition and then tempered to achieve their strength as a spring. Over time, this tempering can be lost[sup][citation needed][/sup] and the spring will sag because it can no longer withstand the loads applied. Such springs can be re-set by annealing, returning to their original length (or deliberately setting them to a different length) and then re-tempering. Damage to springs, such as using oxy-acetylene to cut the end off a car suspension spring to lower a vehicle's ride height, can destroy the tempering in localised areas of the spring. sorry but thats how things work

so the bottom line is buy any cheap coilover and it will sag if you overload it due to deformation (yielding)

as long as the load on ANY spring doesnt exceed that yielding point it will not sag! How do you pass the yield point? Bad design, bad manufacturing processes ie. cheap springs. these are the physics behind the whole idea.