S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Suspension dilemna, thoughts, guidance, suggestions

Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts
Default Suspension dilemna, thoughts, guidance, suggestions

I am currently on Koni Yellows (standard / upper perch) along with some Tein S-tech springs (-1 inch).

I'd like to raise the car just for a bit more clearance and general drivability. I do track the car at least 2 days / year and sometimes up to 6 days / yr. I have noticed some rubbing on the front inner fender liners so again, raising the car might not be a bad idea.

My thoughts are to put some stock springs back on the car and use the lower perch on the Konis thereby lowering the car 1/2 inch from stock. Do I wanna find the highest rate stock springs and use those? Again, I'd rather not spend any money.

Just looking for some thought ans insight from others.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i assume that even with stiffest OEM springs it won't be too stiff for the street.
and for the track/sports driving stiffer spring form the "OEM collection" should work better.
the only thing i would be careful is to keep car balance you want - i mean some very early cars have stiffest springs but oversteary balance which you might want to avoid (unless you like it a lot). but with fatter rear tires this might not be a problem..... but anyway - just e aware.

maybe CR springs? but they're probably lower than stock...
Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Since youd rather not spend any money I dont think theres any harm at all with throwing the stock springs on the koni yellows. You may encounter slightly more body roll than what you are used to since the oem setup will be softer spring rate wise but then again you may encounter less since you are returning the roll center closer to stock and will leverage the suspension less.What wheel/tire size are you using? If you wanted too you could run CR springs as that is the stiffest OEM setup out there.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Thank you both for the thoughtful replies. Finding some of the stiffer OEM spring is kinda the way I was leaning obviously but I wanted to hear what others thought.

I run a set of standard AP-1 wheels with the OEM sizes but I also run some AP-2 OEM sized Volks with OEM sized tires.

CR springs would probably be best but not wanting to spend cash and then having to possibly compensate w/ a larger sway bar doesn't sound ideal either.

Yes I have seen the Characterization of OEM Suspension thread but again, I wanted others thoughts.

edit: being that I have an '00, I guess I have the next best thing to a CR Front Sway Bar, same thickness, right?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

CR and '00-'01 front bars are essentially identical; there's no reason to prefer one vs. the other.

Adding swaybar stiffness while reducing spring stiffness is the classic way to improve ride while maintaining roll resistance, but it has drawbacks. Most people agreed in retrospect that the '00-'01 rear bar was too stiff -- apparently even Honda agreed, since from '02 on the rear bars were much softer (even the CR rear bar is softer than '00-'01).

To raise ride height and improve ride comfort, presumably your original set of OE springs is the easiest (and only?) zero-dollar solution. Plus if you don't like it, it's zero dollars to go back.

Good luck!