S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Suspension Stock vs Aftermarket

Old 01-02-2014, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension Stock vs Aftermarket

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5cFzc...%3DNl5cFzcZ8YY

After driving my stock ap1 for about six months now as a DD. I was wondering how much of an improvement could be made to this cars handeling with aftermarket suspension? I feel that I would make it worse for street driving changing from stock. Seems to me it's more just for looks. Anyone have regrets changing from stock?

I was watching the youtube video above and feel that I have not yet tapped into understanding the stock s suspension yet. I guess I need to find a track.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bliss
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5cFzc...%3DNl5cFzcZ8YY

After driving my stock ap1 for about six months now as a DD. I was wondering how much of an improvement could be made to this cars handeling with aftermarket suspension? I feel that I would make it worse for street driving changing from stock. Seems to me it's more just for looks. Anyone have regrets changing from stock?

I was watching the youtube video above and feel that I have not yet tapped into understanding the stock s suspension yet. I guess I need to find a track.
I currently am using Tein S tech lowering springs with a 1" drop. I bought the springs to test how DD with a 1" drop would be before i decided to get a set of coilovers. The s2000 is really well made i think and after getting the lowering springs i think the car's handling was slightly affected because the spring rate and ride height is different from what Honda engineers designed but not something noticible in just regular driving. The stock s2000 suspension is great and good enough for most people, but if you want the looks and a suspension that will improve from stock in terms of performance driving then you'll have to spend a little more. i think coilovers that are hovering the $2K range is soild in terms of performance. Hope this helped!
Old 01-02-2014, 07:50 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Get the car to a track first with stock suspension. Its a lot of fun left alone and it frees you up as a driver to work on yourself instead of trying to learn AND tune the car. I tracked mine for 2.5 years on stock suspension and its a LOT of fun.

I would recommend a good alignment and brake upgrade (pads/lines/fluid/ducts) LONG before I would advocate messing with the suspension.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:56 AM

Thanks I will keep driving it the way it is and try to find a track in southern CA.

The car had aftermarket drilled and slotted brakes calipers on it when I got it they look larger in dia than oem. Not sure what kind they are but in new condition.

The car is stock except for:
Brakes,exhaust and gutted oem airbox.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Bilstein PSS9 are a significant improvement in ride and handling. I'm in irvine if you'd like to see how they handle.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I really like the stock suspension. I use to have tein flex coil overs and after switching back to the stock suspension I enjoy my car so much more on the street. My times when I go auto crossing is also faster with the stock suspension.

With my tein flex the car was too bumpy and unconfertable to drive everyday 15k+ miles a year. The car with an oem lip is already low as he'll with stock suspension. Good luck going up driveways and gooding past speed bumps on a lowered s2000 with a lip.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since camber is adjustable in stock form you can improve your handling a little with a good alignment.

My AP1 has 96k miles on it, so I'm going to be replacing the bushings, stiffening up the chassis, and replacing engine/trans/diff mounts this coming spring. To get it to the track initially last summer I added brake lines, pads, rotors, brake fluid and tires. Honestly that was enough to be fast, safe and fun.

Whatever you do - Enjoy!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Thanks everyone and the ride offer s2ka I'm gonna stick with the stock setup. I just like the way it feels. I do have the oem lip and a bad driveway so lowering is a bad idea as much as I like the look.

s2ka I'm in san clemente and good for a drive anytime work up in Irvine drive there most everyday.

Thanks all!