S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Head Unit Upgrade+Phone Mount

Old 06-03-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Head Unit Upgrade+Phone Mount

I'm looking to upgrade the head unit in my AP2 to something with an Aux jack that also retains the factory radio controls but I'm really sure what route to take. Do I need a Modifry DCI (or similar product) or are there radios that just work with the factory controls? Any recommendations?

As for phone mounting, I plan on using this bracket:

Is there a way to run an aux cable somewhere back here into the back of the head unit?

I don't like having a cable hanging around in the shift area but I want to keep the phone around eye level for GPS.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2015, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me, having just done the dash bracket and a head unit swap, I would go ahead and get the Modifry DCI and plug and play adapter for whatever HU you buy. Makes the process as easy as possible and assures you will retain dash control functionality (and gain some).

As far as charging the phone goes, everyone's perspective and needs are different. My phone is an IPhone 6 and it sits well in their universal phone holder/mount but the issue of charging the phone while driving is there since the wire would be tough to tuck. Essentially you can run the wire from the back of a head unit and into the bracket area like you want. The only issue is that when not in use, you will have a charging cable sitting there...which in my opinion is less 'clean' than just putting in a cable for use. Also, given the diameter of most charging cables, you would either pinch the cable pretty hard or have to remove enough material from the dash that it would likely be visible should you remove the bracket down the line.

For me, my car is not at all a daily driver. It sees only nice weekends and the like. With that in mind, also wanting the ability for ease of use in the brackets general location (which is great) I just decided I won't charge my phone while I drive. I don't need it since I don't go for extensively long drives capable of depleting my phone battery (I usually keep it above 50% anyway). I did, however, buy an Alpine CDE HD149BT head unit and I have a plug in the rear of the head unit. I routed that plug into the passenger side area (near the cargo net and absent glove box) for my wife to charge her phone when desired. The iPhone cable is put in the rear console for storage unless she wants to charge her phone and then it is installed into the female connector that the HU comes with. Without pictures, I hope this helps...

I just felt that the charging cable, even if pinched off, would still interfere with more vigorous shifts.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:17 PM

Thanks for the info! I don't care about charging, just want to use the phone for my music and GPS. Would an aux cable still crowd that area to much?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:11 PM

Which area? Pretty much any plug running vertically from the phone can interfere...

It isn't the end of the world but it is annoying. If it were a DD it would be different but I just prioritized my use. Can always use the wife's phone while charging if mine dies.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by whitebrad25
Which area? Pretty much any plug running vertically from the phone can interfere...

It isn't the end of the world but it is annoying. If it were a DD it would be different but I just prioritized my use. Can always use the wife's phone while charging if mine dies.
Coming out of the same part of the dash as the bracket. The car is a daily that also sees monthly autocrosses but I figured I could tape the cable to the dash during my run.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:10 PM

I would think that would be fine but are you using the phone for anything in particular during your run? I would probably just keep it in the pocket for the short time you do your run if that isn't the case.

There are some people that used a different series of mounts which raised the position of the phone slightly...those would also help getting the cable somewhat out of the way but for purposeful driving, tape should further assist the cable from slackly waving around in the area of 1st and 3rd. This isn't the best solution overall but it should work fine.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:10 PM

There are some good examples in this thread on page 2.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/112...#entry23635753
Old 06-04-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

You could just get a basic mount and just use a shorter charging cable for your phone into a front USB connection on a HU like Kenwood X998.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frida83
Is there a way to run an aux cable somewhere back here into the back of the head unit?
Sure. I have a charging cable running through that gap in the dash.

Originally Posted by whitebrad25
The only issue is that when not in use, you will have a charging cable sitting there...which in my opinion is less 'clean' than just putting in a cable for use.
With the right mount the cable could be permanently attached to the mount versus just dangling.