S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Headunit Suggestions

Old 06-25-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I just picked up a KMM-BT522HD and will be installing it once my Modifry harness arrives. One thing I liked about this unit it it is a Multi-media only head unit. That allowed Kenwood to package it into a much shallower depth chassis than a normal DIN box. With space at a premium behind the dash in the S this will allow a much easier installation and also help keep the unit cool.

When I first bought this car it came with a JVC head unit that was overly complicated and annoying to use. In addition, I installed a Modifry DCI to get the panel switches working but it was so tight getting the unit back in I had to cut off the RCA leads to make it fit. I ended up switching back to a stock head unit for about a year but recently found that a little lacking. The biggest thing I figured out is to get some musicians ear plugs to wear while driving with the top down. These work amazingly to blank out the wind noise while allowing the radio to be heard still (along with other traffic sounds).
Old 06-25-2018, 10:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure about the Crutchfield adapter, but the Modifry one also adds some additional functionality. The main one I find myself using often, is you can press mode+volume up/down to skip forward and backwards through tracks.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitroturtle
I'm not sure about the Crutchfield adapter, but the Modifry one also adds some additional functionality. The main one I find myself using often, is you can press mode+volume up/down to skip forward and backwards through tracks.
Just ordered the Crutchfield adapter and Alpine UTE-73BT, Once I've got it installed I'll leave a 'functionality' report.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:18 AM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Ordered the Alpine UTE-73BT myself, seems like a no-brainer for this car and what I need it for. Debating if I want to put in a KTP-445 power pack or not. I had one in my STi and wasn't all that impressed with it. I'm definitely installing some DB6502 components, but not sure if it would be worth the extra time and money for the power pack.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:35 AM

I just installed the UTE-73BT as well. It works fine, looks great IMO. It is very bare-bones in terms of settings/functionality (only has a 3-band EQ), I did also buy the Alpine Power Pack, but have yet to install it.
The head-unit works great with the Modifry DCI and the Bluetooth works well with my phone. I especially enjoy the RGB customization which gives the ability to match the head-unit to the dash lights, not that my radio door is ever open much anyways.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Batchelar
Just ordered the Crutchfield adapter and Alpine UTE-73BT, Once I've got it installed I'll leave a 'functionality' report.
Installation of the UTE-73BT couldn't really have been easier. I used the Crutchfield harness adapter and soldered/shrink wrapped everything. The only actual 'mod' required for the new head unit was filing/grinding off the locating pins on the two small OE brackets which screw to the side of the head unit (the screw holes line up perfectly but if you don't remove the locating pins the screws may strip the 'threads' in the head unit). The new head unit fits behind the dash door fine, and only just contacts the volume button when you're 'over-pushing' it to click in to place.

I also installed the Axxess ASWC-1 steering wheel control adapter. This is also relativey easy. As a 'nice touch' I removed the pins from the harness plug for the rear speakers (which in my AP1 aren't getting used) and reinstalled the pins in the required spot on the harness where the ASWC-1 needs to be wired in: basically meaning i avoided having to cut and splice any of the factory wiring (nice if for some reason the factory HU needs to go back in).

As numerous people have commented before. There is no way to get your steering wheel control 'MUTE' button to work unless your head unit has the 'old school' brown wire (which is basically an analog forced mute)... not many modern head units have this, and the Alpine UTE-73 definitely doesn't.

The steering wheel controls with the Axxess ASWC-1 can be programmed to do more than what they're originally intended. I programmed the channel button to skip forward to the next track, and with a slightly 'long-hold' the same button it goes to the previous track. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing and just being able to control the volume and track from the steering wheel controls is definitely worthwhile.

Aside from the head unit I installed JVC CS-DR600C component speakers (60 watt RMS, they sound ok but I am considering installing an amp to get more drive out of them). The Honda factory speaker wiring is laughable, and took me some time to figure out how I could cleanly install everything while maintaining all the factory plugs, and routing. The JVC tweeters bolted in the factory spot with zero gluing and only a little bending of the bracket required (done by hand easily). The really nice thing about the JVC woofers is that they don't require the purchase of an aftermarket mounting adapter, and other than having to cut the back out of the OE factory plastic 'baskets' (which I did with a dremel tool) they bolt right in with perfect alignment of the screw holes.

As for mounting the component crossover, there is plenty of room behind the door panel, so i drilled two small holes in the door and used self tapping screws to fasten the crossover to the door (with double sided adhesive foam behind them). If you're afraid of drilling tiny holes in steel then I suppose you could hot glue/double sided tape them, but I like to over-do things.

Last edited by Andrew Batchelar; 08-04-2018 at 08:56 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-04-2018, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nitroturtle
It even lets you do fine tuning of the colors, but I haven't messed with it yet.

This is just using the built in color combos:

Saw your interior. Had to run off and change my pants.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew Batchelar
Saw your interior. Had to run off and change my pants.
LOL thanks! Here's a better shot with it finished (door cards weren't done in the previous photo) and out in the sun.

Back on the topic of audio, I recently added a Cerwin-Vega powered sub (
this one this one
) and installed it behind the driver seat (since I'm short, passenger side would work for those who need the driver seat all the way back). I couldn't be happier with the setup. I think I have about $600 for the complete stereo and it sounds amazing (Alpine UTE-62BT, Alpine KTP-445U bridged for the 2 sets of components, Polk Audio DB6502 and the sub obviously). The sub adds enough to give some nice low end punch, but not enough to be obnoxious. I have the gain on both of my amps at only about 25% and it's plenty for me.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:14 AM

So nicely executed! I'm thinking about doing the same over winter, maybe not quite as complete as you've gone but at least steering wheel and seats. As for the amp I'm going to try and figure out the under-dash option on the passenger side... I read there is room under there but I haven't personally taken a look yet. Another project I'm thinking about is buying some used door liners and making custom lower panels that incorporate a second set of speakers in that massive empty area at the back of the door (where there is the random translucent plastic box). I'm not sure there'd be any way to do that with an OE look to it though.

Last edited by Andrew Batchelar; 08-09-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because of this thread I bought the Alpine UTE-62BTE HU, Modifry PnP harness, Modifry DCI and Metra 72-7800 speaker connectors. I did the install today along with applying dynamat to the front doors and door panels. The speakers I went with are the Infinity Reference 6522EX for like $50. I am very satisfied. Huge improvement over stock. I also have the Alpine KTP445 mini amp on the way too!

Quick Reply: Headunit Suggestions