S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Need an alarm

Old 02-02-2015, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an alarm

Hi all,

This is the second time that my car was broken into in from of my house. The second incident happened last night and the person only took my change. I have a top of the line ICE system as well. On both occasions there was no physical break in damage that I could see. During the first attempt my neighbor watched them (3 people) enter my car and when he came out of the house they walked away ( one person enters and the other two are scouts).

I've owned the car since 2005 and never had an incident. Luckily I have my BBS's off and stock wheels on.

What's the best alarm system? I'm thinking viper w/o remote start.

Viper alarm

Thanks
Old 02-02-2015, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a Viper. My alarm goes off with the slightest vibrations to the drivetrain. Took me a while to install it with the small space under the dash but I managed to do it. I'm also planning on installing a proximity sensor soon. I never bothered with the remote start because I always leave my car in gear. You should definitely get an alarm. And there really isn't a best alarm. The majority of big alarm brands out there are all from the same company DEI.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been considering the Compustar Drone Mobile alarm... Smartphone app with all the bells and whistles, including GPS fencing, vehicle location, remote start, remote arm, etc...

The only downside (and it's a big one) is that the best features come at a cost... $10/month...

Check it out here: http://www.compustar.com/drone/
Old 07-18-2015, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good system is important, but what's even more important is in the installation. It definitely pays to have a good quality installation where the installer takes time hiding the alarm brain well, making the siren hidden out of view, making the wiring look oem, etc. Having a hidden kill switch as well as a back-up battery for the alarm is also a good idea.

But with any system, it's never 100% thief proof. The goal is buy as much time as possible for you to get to your car before it's driven or towed away.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

It is like warfare. You take a counter measure but there is something else to defeat it or render it useless.

A combination of things can help.

Location (garage-not on the street) is a big one if you can swing it.
A sound alarm may stop some but will not deter most people who know what they are doing. It may help you to hear it while inside and nearby.
A GPS location device can be very effective (with text alerts, etc) to find it after the minute or two it takes to tow it or drive it away. It is critical for the local police to know its location so they can move in before it is stripped. Depends on county, device, and services.
Seat locks with decal warning may, may help with seat/top destruction.
Some go for a same side, two wheel immobilization when parked in unfamiliar or suspect areas to prevent or slow down towing theft. It is amazing how fast you can manually move a car that has only one wheel inoperative.
A 'kill' switch can be a great idea. Be sure to put it (may have >1) in a spot not likely to be found.

Good luck.