S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Need tips on how to measure and cut for rear speakers please

Old 11-29-2001, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I chose 4" Infinity 42.1i What are some ways folks have measured to ensure a proper cut? I saw the cardboard template seems to work well, but what are the approximate measurements to find the center of the hole for a 4" speaker?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2001, 10:32 AM
JL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bernie,

I can't give you the measurements right now, but I can tell you that I used the cardboard approach and it worked out well when I installed the woofer of Polk EX2540. This is what I did.

1. Cut the cardboard exactly as the outlines of the panel
1a. Try to mount the cardboard in place of the panel to see the fit
2. Placed the speaker in the position, putting something underneath to angle it perfectly against the board
3. Put the cardboard in place--choose a board not too thick
4. Bend the cardboard one side so I can reach the speaker edges with my finger
5. Take the board and speaker out while holding together firmly (this is the hardest part because the magnets are pulled by the metal)
6. Marked the spot for the speaker mounting holes
7. Drilled, fastened bolts to mount speaker on the cardboard
8. Put the cardboard back on with the speaker mounted
9. Feel out (through the bent cardboard) to see if the magnets are touching anything
10. (My holes were off a fraction which I compensated in the next step)
11. Unmounted the speaker from the board
12. Put the cardboard on the top of the panel
13. Mark and drill the panel
14. ... the rest is obvious

I repeated the whole step for the speaker for the other side instead of using the flip side of the cardboard (paranoia). Of course, the second time, the holes on my model cardboard were perfect.

This is really easier than it sounds.

Hope this helps.
JL

PS. I put a lot of those tapes with padding, all over the place on the body part around where the magnet would be. This kept the magnet from touching the metal parts during the install and also after. I used the kind that had slippery surface for easier sliding in and out.
Old 12-02-2001, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the response. I actually did it without using a template. I just measured 17 times and cut once.

For a 4" speaker, the center of the hole should be 2" from the bottom of the panel, and 3 3/4" from the side (exterior side, side closest to the car door). Then cut out your 3 3/4" diameter circle from that center point and you're good to go. Use the first one as a template for the second one and wrap it up.

I'm so proud of myself, they look and sound great.
Old 12-02-2001, 05:49 PM

Good info, thanks. I will be cutting my panels for rear speakers latter this week.
Old 12-03-2001, 05:59 AM

It's not as difficult as you would think. Actually the hardest part is running the wire from the dash. I was glad I did it when I put in the head and didn't have to do it with the speakers. That's the time consuming portion. The rest is all measuring.

The cutout diameter of your speaker is the info to go by. Just find the center of the hole like I described above and you're all set. Once you measure and cut the first one, flip it over on top of the second one and trace the hole for the second cut. It fits identically the same.

The sound is such an improvement. It's like a soundstage in there now and even with only a 4" speaker you get a feeling of the bass behind you that really completes what was missing.