S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Question About Current HU and Speakers

Old 04-03-2012, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question About Current HU and Speakers

Let me start by saying that I'm a complete noob when it comes to audio systems, so I have a few questions since I plan on upgrading the system in my car. Right now my car has this (Pioneer DEH-P3900MP) head unit because it was in the car when I bought it. My question is, is this HU very capable for powering aftermarket speakers? Right now I'm running the stock speakers and the sound is very cloudy and the bass sucks and it also sounds like the driver side speaker is going out. Any suggestions for some quality speakers that are reasonably priced? I'm looking for something that requires little-to-no cutting to fit. I've also considered running a small subwoofer in the spare tire area; do you think this is a good idea? Is it worth the extra money to get the sub? I usually listen to fairly bass-heavy music if that makes any difference. Sorry for all of the questions, I've been searching for this for a long time and can't seem to find much information.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag528
My question is, is this HU very capable for powering aftermarket speakers?
Look at the specs. You're asking a subjective question but most looking to upgrade wouldn't consider 22W all that capable. You need to consider the speakers you're looking at (look at their specs).

Originally Posted by Jag528
Sorry for all of the questions, I've been searching for this for a long time and can't seem to find much information.
You might want to try a more generic car audio resource. There's nothing really S200o-specific aside from fit and speakers that easily fit have definitely been discussed in many prior threads. Selecting a speaker is a highly subjective matter and you really need to get out and listen to some options to see what you prefer.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the tips. The site says the head unit is 50W, so I'm assuming that's pretty good.

I'm going to go shop around a little for speakers. The driver side speaker finally went out this morning so I need new ones ASAP.

Any more suggestions?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM

the headunit wattage isn't something you should concern yourself with in my opinion. if you're serious about speakers you'll need an amp and that makes your headunit wattage irrelevant. i just finished my system very recently and used infinity perfect components with a nice amp and subwoofer.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuknS2K
the headunit wattage isn't something you should concern yourself with in my opinion. if you're serious about speakers you'll need an amp and that makes your headunit wattage irrelevant. i just finished my system very recently and used infinity perfect components with a nice amp and subwoofer.
It seems to me that if he was "serious about speakers" he wouldn't be a "complete noob when it comes to audio systems". First, pick a budget. $100? $500? $1000? If you want to spend $100, buy the nicest speakers you can for that budget and call it a day. If $500, you're looking at an amplifier and nicer speakers. If $1000, add a subwoofer to round out the system. Voila!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm not really that serious about the speakers, I just want something that gives me clear crisp sound. I'm thinking closer to the $100, but I'm willing to spend more if it's worth it. $1000 is a bit excessive for me, I can't imagine spending that much on audio. A subwoofer would be great, but I'm not going to break the bank over it if it's that much. If you're throwing out prices like $500 or $1000 for a setup with an amp and subs, then I guess I'll just be looking at speakers. Any suggestions on some good speakers that are straight drop in on the S with no cutting? What are you guys running?
Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 AM

Polk db speakers are popular, as are Infinity Reference. I lean more towards the Infinity. Buy where ever you like, but use the vehicle selector tool on crutchfield.com to see which speakers are simple drop-in replacements for your S2k.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 AM

My setup for example works - I have no problems with clear and loud music, be it top up or top down (which I usually drive).

All together, it was less than $500 and some time doing the install myself. My HU is no longer available but the newer version is. The power pack does help and you can hear the difference before and after. Works great for me and I'm not looking at updating it any time soon (check sig for setup).

I think your HU is fine and you just need some good speakers. Go with the crutchfield guide to find what fits and pick what is in your budget. If you find speakers you like, go to a sound place to see if they have them up to sample. The install is easy and you can do it yourself, noob and all (I was and still am).
Old 04-06-2012, 03:36 PM

I ended up buying a pair of Polk Audio DXI 650 speakers. I went to install them today but then realized that it requires soldering to install the new ones, so I closed it back up and I'm waiting until tomorrow when I have access to a soldering gun. The stock speakers look pitiful. The cone is literally made out of paper. I can't wait to get the new speakers in.

edit: They also require a little trimming of the basket but nothing dramatic, it only sticks out like less than a centimeter.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:31 PM

Got the speakers in today and I'm happy with the sound. It's a huge upgrade from the stock POS speakers (which are made of paper by the way, WTF?) and I don't think I'll be needing an amp or subs anytime soon. Thanks for all the suggestions.