S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

What front component speaker? <$150 street price

Old 06-16-2007, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What front component speaker? <$150 street price

Honor me with your knowledge oh Gurus.
Cast pittance with your pithy advice.

I know this is a bit of a generic question and wont inspire too much high end technical audio discussion. Just looking for some advice and answers to my questions. and I have done my search.

I really am not planning on wiring an amp. I have an aftermarket head unit, Pioneer DEH-7600MP. I like it (now that i figured out how to turn the reverse brightness off). Its got a bunch of features I know I wont use since im not running an amp or a sub, or even a rear speaker...YET. but i find the high pass setting alone made for dramatic improvements with stock '02 speakers.

Consider that I am not an audio guy. I dont have much of an ear, cant sing in tune, cant clap on a beat. But I am a "buy stuff for the sake of buying stuff" person. Even tho I said i dont want to put more money into this car, enough time has passed to make me a liar so i will anyway. I'm also cheap, and am not a MSRP kind of guy. I look for old but new stock on ebay and dont want to spend more than $150 per mod, generally.

I suppose i should be looking for a high sensativity rated speaker since im not going to using an amp.

Also consider FWIW that I will be putting the stock front speakers in the rear, just for fill i guess. I have an extra set of panel vents im ok with cutting up.

I've got a few speakers I have in mind. I'm open to suggestions too. I'd like a final word on 2 questions.

1. Can I run Infinity Kappa 60.7cs with 2ohm impedance with this head unit? From my reading, this can heat up and blow out a headunit, or maybe just a low quality headunit? Or dont even bother without an amp?

2. Should i use Infinity Reference 6000cs or 6010cs instead? any difference between model change? reviews seems to say theyre too tinny. comments? also tweeter wires are too short, can i get a confirmation on this for s2000 install.

any other recommendations? Should i just be looking for sub $100 more generic stuff? like Kenwood KFC-P707?

i dont want a high dollar setup, im not going to make use of a high dollar setup. but I do want to make the most of what i have. like i said, i just want to spend money, tear stuff apart and rebuild.... what guy doesnt?

im going to sneak in a 3rd question.

3. so crutchfield says some of these speakers dont fit our car. but ppl seemed to have installed them. so what gives? crutchfield is overly conservative in what "fits"?
Old 06-17-2007, 12:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crutchfield isn't always right. They use a computer system to tell you what will fit. I can't be much help on the other questions. I have infinity's in my S that sound great. Not sure which ones they are tho. They were in it when I bought it used. They look to be kappa's of some kind. Haven't pulled the door panels to look. The are running off and shitty jensen head unit and still sound good. I'm trying to get a new HU asap. Good luck with the search.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:06 AM

Infinity References are great for an aftermarket deck. Low power reqs and sound great. Kappa's may be too big to fit into the doors. They will probably hit the window unless you make spacers. I had references in the stock baskets and they were fine. You will have to cut the backs out obviously though.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:32 AM

Polk db 6501's fit into the stock basket with only minor mods ( have to drill mounting holes)

they sound pretty damn nice....
Old 06-18-2007, 09:41 AM

polk db6501, ill probably go with that then. seems to be a safe bet. thanks.

why are the mounting holes different? i see in the pictures the grill only has 4 screws. is that why?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:42 AM

They will work in stock mount holes- you just need longer screws. The tweeters use the stock mounting plate as well(you just need to take it off the stock tweeters.) Very easy install overall and I am no expert. The dB6500's I have sound great!