S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

AEM Wideband Failsafe with FlashPro

Old 05-27-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Default AEM Wideband Failsafe with FlashPro

I have a MY06 that I am currently working on supercharging (details on the build can be found here) and as part of the process I ordered an AEM Wideband Failsafe gauage (AEM 30-4900). Please forgive me if some of the questions have been answered before, I have searched and couldn't find a straight answer.

1. Does the Wideband O2 sensor replace the existing primary O2? (The secondary sensor is already disabled, the PLM header that is being installed in cunjunction with the supercharger has a secondary O2 bung)
2. Does/Can the data (boost and AFR) being outputted by the Gauge/controller be inputted in some fashion into FlashPro, and can FlashPro include this data into its datalogs?
3. The main feature of this gauge is triggering a "failsafe" action in the event an unfavorable condition is detected (running too lean), what failsafe options would be available with a FlashPro tuned car? Any suggestions?
4. Can the datalogging features of the gauge be used in cunjunction with the data from FlashPro to improve the tune? Currently working with Jason (wadzii) to get a decent e-tune for the car.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

1. Does the Wideband O2 sensor replace the existing primary O2? (The secondary sensor is already disabled, the PLM header that is being installed in cunjunction with the supercharger has a secondary O2 bung)
-It can replace your primary O2 sensor since you are moving to Flashpro. The gauge does have an output signal that would simulate a standard narrowband signal if you needed it for some reason (i.e. you were still on the stock ECU but wanted to replace the stock narrowband sensor). I personally left the stock narrowband sensor installed and put the new wideband sensor in the additional bung in my PLM header.

2. Does/Can the data (boost and AFR) being outputted by the Gauge/controller be inputted in some fashion into FlashPro, and can FlashPro include this data into its datalogs?
- Yes. The instructions manual for the AEM Failsafe gauge shows you what all the wires in the wiring harness are. There are several output signals coming from the gauge that you can wire into optional inputs into your aftermarket ECU. I'm not familiar with the way FlashPro works, but with my Haltech there was a separate port for external I/O that I wired these signals into. This is most important to get the wideband signal into your aftermarket ECU so it can use that signal for things like AFR feedback where the ECU will attempt to settle on a determined AFR value for idle/cruise, etc. The boost signal will be seen from the MAP sensor signal, so there's no real need to input the boost signal from the gauge.

3. The main feature of this gauge is triggering a "failsafe" action in the event an unfavorable condition is detected (running too lean), what failsafe options would be available with a FlashPro tuned car? Any suggestions?
- A good tuner should be able to throw out some recommendations to you on this topic. Again; I'm not familiar with FlashPro, but you may be able to cause the trigger to switch you to a more conservative tune, or to cause a soft rev limit at the point of trigger.

4. Can the datalogging features of the gauge be used in cunjunction with the data from FlashPro to improve the tune? Currently working with Jason (wadzii) to get a decent e-tune for the car.
- Not really necessary. If you run the AFR signal output from the gauge to the ECU like mentioned above, then the ECU will have all the data it needs to datalog on its own more efficiently than the AEM gauge will. I used the datalog output of the AEM gauge up until I switched to my Haltech ECU, at which point I now only use datalogging from the Haltech.

I love this gauge; its one of my favorite things I've ever put in my car.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by CoolGuy094
-It can replace your primary O2 sensor since you are moving to Flashpro. The gauge does have an output signal that would simulate a standard narrowband signal if you needed it for some reason (i.e. you were still on the stock ECU but wanted to replace the stock narrowband sensor). I personally left the stock narrowband sensor installed and put the new wideband sensor in the additional bung in my PLM header.

- Yes. The instructions manual for the AEM Failsafe gauge shows you what all the wires in the wiring harness are. There are several output signals coming from the gauge that you can wire into optional inputs into your aftermarket ECU. I'm not familiar with the way FlashPro works, but with my Haltech there was a separate port for external I/O that I wired these signals into. This is most important to get the wideband signal into your aftermarket ECU so it can use that signal for things like AFR feedback where the ECU will attempt to settle on a determined AFR value for idle/cruise, etc. The boost signal will be seen from the MAP sensor signal, so there's no real need to input the boost signal from the gauge.

- A good tuner should be able to throw out some recommendations to you on this topic. Again; I'm not familiar with FlashPro, but you may be able to cause the trigger to switch you to a more conservative tune, or to cause a soft rev limit at the point of trigger.

- Not really necessary. If you run the AFR signal output from the gauge to the ECU like mentioned above, then the ECU will have all the data it needs to datalog on its own more efficiently than the AEM gauge will. I used the datalog output of the AEM gauge up until I switched to my Haltech ECU, at which point I now only use datalogging from the Haltech.

I love this gauge; its one of my favorite things I've ever put in my car.
Thanks for your input, your review of the gauge was one of the major deciding factors of me going with this particular model. Shot an e-mail to Jason to see what input he might have as he is doing the tune, most of my questions are centered arround the use of the gauge with FlashPro and what functionality there is with it.

Since FlashPro is not really an aftermarket ECU (it just "flashes" the existing ECU with new data) I'm not sure what can/can't be done with it. I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to the electrical capabilities of these cars, so any advice/input is appreciated.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:28 AM

TTT

From the FlashPro website I have managed to figure out that you can use the UEGO Wideband sensor to feed AFR data to the computer ( http://www.hondata.com/help/flashpro..._interface.htm ) by disabling an existing input and indicating in FlashPro that you will be using this input for the AFR data. My question is more centered around removing the pin from the existing connector (FlashPro indicates this is difficult to do without the right tool), and wiring in the sensor output from the BOSCH Wideband. I'm going to outline the steps as I believe they should be performed, could someone please validate?:

1. Unplug the negative battery terminal
2. Load current calibration being used.
3. Identify which sensor you will be disabling in FlashPro and using it input the data form the aftermarket wideband.
4. On the harness remove the pin and cable for this sensor (FlashPro recommends using a specific tool, but doesnt mention what it is)
5. Splice in the AFR output from the AEM wiring harness to the cable pulled from the harness earlier
6. Indicate in FlashPro which input will now be carrying the AFR data
7. Burn calibration with changes made.

One other thing I haven't been able to determine, is if this can also be done with the boost data coming from the gauge? Not as important as the AFR data, but still would be a "nice to have".
Old 07-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious if you know which connector color and which color wire for the ELD input?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by SLWS2K
Just curious if you know which connector color and which color wire for the ELD input?
No I don't, there were posts that link to the pinouts for the S2000, but the pictures are gone. I'll see if I can find it in the Helms Manual.