S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Standalone ecu

Old 04-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standalone ecu

I have a 2002 ap1. It has a vortech v2 supercharger on it. The original owner had it dynoed and tuned using an apexi neo. It's garbage.All the wiring is hacked up and I'm not happy with the way it runs. I have no control or way of knowing what my afr is. So I'm looking to do a stand alone. I like to research before I jump in over my head. I like the way the new infinity can use volumetrics. It looks like the haltech can use the volumetrics as well.Is anybody running either of these on ve. If so what are the pros and cons of either?Thanks
Old 04-08-2019, 10:28 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Haltech makes a Plug-n-Play ECU for the S2000.

You're way outside the "smog" counties so any ECU you like will not be a concern regarding emissions.

Finding a tuner is the main concern.

-- Chuck
Old 04-08-2019, 11:06 AM

No smog here.Only have to worry about too low or too loud. Not so much on the inspection stickers. It's the troopers that will light you up. Ive been to PT tuning a couple times talking to them but they haven't done an infinity. I'm sure I can put the ecu in myself. With a little guidance I can probably get a decent tune in it.The volumetric tuning looks like where I want to go. Was just looking for anybody running them this way.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:38 AM

I am using the Haltech Elite on my 2005 and tuning mostly on the VE map. However, I'm running a completely factory stock engine (only a wideband setup in place of the factory O2 sensor), so tuning isn't really all that difficult for my setup.

What would you like to know?
Old 04-12-2019, 05:46 AM

How does the ve work. Will it keep your afr consistent.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Carwashguy
VE tuning works pretty well. You need a wideband sensor to make it useful, though once you have the right setup it works pretty great. So the way it works is you fill the VE table (load vs. RPM) with the AFR/lambda you want, and once you're at that RPM and load, the ECU will read the wideband output, compare it to the VE table, and adjust the fuel base table to hit the programmed AFR. It takes into account everything else too, like ignition angle, intake air temp, coolant temp, and so on.

In VE tuning, you can set the amount of correction change (percentage) you want the ECU to implement, the amount of time you want the ECU to wait before it starts to implement correction (so things like transient throttle doesn't screw everything up), a table that shows the amount of correction (very useful), and of course the configurable VE table.

The system works well, though you have to understand that there is some lag time between what the wideband sees and what the ECU tells the injectors to do. It really helps tune itself at light to medium throttle, but heavy throttle is probably not where the VE tuning shines--simply because you aren't at full throttle at one rpm all that often or for all that long. The table that shows the amount of correction is pretty cool, you can watch it self adjust in real time to hit the programmed AFR target.

Keep in mind though, VE tuning can't replace a tuner. It doesn't tune the ignition timing map and can't help much with initial startup, idling, or troubleshooting. It's good at what it does, but it's not some magic tuning bullet.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:26 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Carwashguy
a bit skewed towards marketing but not a bad video:
Old 04-15-2019, 06:54 PM

Thank you for the in depth reply. You have answered just what I suspected. I'm going to buy an elite 1500. And one of there widebands.Thanks