S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

vafc2 dyno tune in the Seattle area?

Old 09-21-2012, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vafc2 dyno tune in the Seattle area?

Hey guys im looking into getting my vafc2 tuned pretty soon here. I've called a few of the local tuner shops around me and none of them seemed to confident tuning it. Whats the going rate for vafc2 tune? And where to get it done at.

My mods:
Comp-tech intake
Berk header
63mm test pipe to match Berk header outlet size

I have a 70mm single t1r Exhaust now but im going to get a new Exhaust made probly in 2 1/2 or 3 inch straight pipe

What size for straight pipe would be best? I have a crazy Exhaust idea involving a Exhaust cutout and straight pipe out the drivers side and a quiet muffler on the passengers side for daily driving.

So my question really is where to get it tuned at and how much it will cost to tune it? Maybe the expected power gains and is it worth tuning this setup on vafc2? Not looking to buy a new programming system...
Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Vafc can only remove fuel. So if your already running lean it won't do you any good. It can lower vtec as well but that's about it. Might get a couple hp. Personally I'd just skip using it and paying for a tune and get something that can actually tune the car and notice some gains.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Vafc could be dangerous with a cutout, unless the tune is done with the cutout open. If you tune for a closed cutout, then there would be very lean resonant humps in your AFR curve.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moddication-Im not running lean im running quite rich actually. my afr guage is at around 12.3 @ wot. Which correct me if im wrong is pretty rich right?

Gernby- the tuning would be done with the cut out open. Would I see any adverse affects by running it closed while I DD it? Mpg?HP? Running REALLY rich? Because I daily it I almost never get on it other then getting on the freeway? And I want to start tracking it on weekends pretty soon. Would it be better to just go with a nice 3" or 2.5" Exhaust I like. Because my t1r is killing my ears. Not my style. I cruise 60 miles to work and back everyday
Old 09-24-2012, 06:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 03suzuka...s2000
Gernby- the tuning would be done with the cut out open. Would I see any adverse affects by running it closed while I DD it? Mpg?HP? Running REALLY rich? Because I daily it I almost never get on it other then getting on the freeway? And I want to start tracking it on weekends pretty soon. Would it be better to just go with a nice 3" or 2.5" Exhaust I like. Because my t1r is killing my ears. Not my style. I cruise 60 miles to work and back everyday
Since VAFC type devices are only able to remove fuel on most Hondas, it's really not going to provide much benefit for tuning around an exhaust cutout. You would really only be able to get benefit from tuning for the closed cutout. However, you would need to zero all the corrections out before opening the cutout.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

The vafc can show you some gains if you want to go that rout, what I would do though is be prepared to also pick up an adjustable aftermarket fpr like one aem makes, because chances are good you will need to add fuel in the mid range if you want to take advantage of the lowered vtec. In my experience the fuel is severely lacking in this area once the secondary cam profile kicks in, since your stil running on primary cam fuel maps. Once you have this in place you want to turn up the fuel pressure to run a little richer at the leanest points in your afr, then with the vafc you can lean out and fine tune your total curve. You’re running a wideband so that’s good news, no point in paying a tuner at the dyno for such a device, they will take advantage of you. However to maximize your gains it would be nice to run it on a dyno to compare your afr settings, but learn the unit yourself first, it’s so easy. Typically 13afr is about your safe lean best you will want. I'm in the Seattle area, you should find time to meet us out at our weekly Boston’s meet, introduce yourself and see if someone may be willing to help street tune your car.

Oh and as far as the cut out, we would run it open and closed and check your afr, see what kind of difference it makes first, but would be wise to tune your fueling to the cutout, assuming that’s going to run the leanest (as it should) then your afr will be a little richer and run safe with it closed. Tune it to the open position, that would be the smart thing to do.