S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Bottom Mount Manifold - Possible Clearance Issues

Old 01-28-2019, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bottom Mount Manifold - Possible Clearance Issues

We're working on a turbo setup on my AP1, and I have a bottom mount manifold. We were able to fit the turbo in place, however once it was bolted up we found that there's only 2/3 of a millimeter clearance between the hot side of the turbo and the passenger side motor mount. We have quite a bit of time and money into the car and having to take enerything apart again and buy a new manifold and downpipe is going to be a huge setback, but I obviously don't want to run it that way if there's a risk of destroying the turbo or the motor mount. What's the risk of running it as-is, and if it's going to cause issues as it is, do I have any options to make it work with what I have? I can replace the manifold and downpipe if need be, but like I said, that's a big setback with where I am now.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe look into the Ptuning engine mount and heat shield.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo...170300/page27/
Old 01-28-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by soulicious
Maybe look into the Ptuning engine mount and heat shield.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo...170300/page27/
Thank you, I'll look into that. We've also talked about going with the Hasport mounts. Does Ptuning sell those mounts by themselves? I looked on their website but couldn't find them without their full kit.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask. Just call them tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a Full-Race ramhorn kit which mounts the turbo below the manifold. I had to switch to Hasport mounts to gain clearance for my turbo. I also fabbed a small heat sheild to go over the mount to help with heat management.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

I use to have this issue with my old track forged turbo kit. I could not even fit my finger in between the turbo manifold and the stock motor mount. I use to have to change the oem mount every 5,000-10,000 miles because the heat would destroy the stock mount. I tried hasport mounts once but they dont take heat close to as good as the stock mounts. After about 1 week the hasport mounts were already melted + they made the car ride like crap due to it being super loud inside the cabin and it rattling the car like crazy. You can try to running the ptunning mount which lowers the passanger side motor mount by quite a bit but the draw back is that there will be quite a bit more noise and harness compared to the stock mount but less than doing both hasport mounts. You last option is to run a different turbo manifold setup that gives more space from the manifold/downpipe to the motor mount. These are really your only options. If you run your current turbo setup you can running a smaller ar on the turbine housing which will give it a little bit more room from the turbing housing to the motor mount. If you running a .82ar hot side you can run a .63ar hotside for more clearence. Maybe it will give you enough clearance so you can run a turbo blanket. If you can get a turbo blanket in there the stock motor mount should be fine. With my ptunning kit i use to melt their motor mount all the time and there is at least a few inches from the turbine housing to the motor mount. But after i got a turbo blanket on there the mount was fine
The following users liked this post:
hammerhead300 (01-31-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 06:07 AM

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by riceball777
I use to have this issue with my old track forged turbo kit. I could not even fit my finger in between the turbo manifold and the stock motor mount. I use to have to change the oem mount every 5,000-10,000 miles because the heat would destroy the stock mount. I tried hasport mounts once but they dont take heat close to as good as the stock mounts. After about 1 week the hasport mounts were already melted + they made the car ride like crap due to it being super loud inside the cabin and it rattling the car like crazy. You can try to running the ptunning mount which lowers the passanger side motor mount by quite a bit but the draw back is that there will be quite a bit more noise and harness compared to the stock mount but less than doing both hasport mounts. You last option is to run a different turbo manifold setup that gives more space from the manifold/downpipe to the motor mount. These are really your only options. If you run your current turbo setup you can running a smaller ar on the turbine housing which will give it a little bit more room from the turbing housing to the motor mount. If you running a .82ar hot side you can run a .63ar hotside for more clearence. Maybe it will give you enough clearance so you can run a turbo blanket. If you can get a turbo blanket in there the stock motor mount should be fine. With my ptunning kit i use to melt their motor mount all the time and there is at least a few inches from the turbine housing to the motor mount. But after i got a turbo blanket on there the mount was fine
did you ever install a heat shield with the oem mount setup?
Old 01-30-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Not speaking from experience with a bottom mount mani, but im no stranger to clearancing shit that doesnt quite fit right. Turbine housings are thicccc, taking some material off the outside would be my first course of action. From there, running a very thin gasket from turbo to mani accompanied by thinning the flange on the turbine housing and making sure both mating surfaces are perfectly flat...assuming this isnt Vband of course. I personally hate aftermarket engine mounts so I'd do everything I could to avoid it...but that's personal preference.

Last edited by Charper732; 01-30-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:45 AM

Thank you for the feedback on the motor mounts. If the Hasport mounts weren't even holding up as well as the OEM ones, that definitely takes them out of the equation. After discussing with another local who's running a boosted S2000, I think I'm going to try running it as-is at least temporarily, and in the meantime I'm going to keep an eye out for a good deal on a front-mount tubular manifold and downpipe. I don't think we had discussed shaving the T3 flanges, but that might be an option as well.