S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

I can't remove my spark plugs, WTF

Old 09-29-2012, 03:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know about your supercharged setup but with the car jacked up could you not put the socket on the crank pulley bolt then get the ratchet on from underneath?

Ps my tts c38 is about to get retuned with 3" exhaust manifold/76mm / ported inlet at18psi with meth
Old 09-30-2012, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good way to clean the threads out of the head without dropping any shaving down into the motor is....

1. Make sure whatever cyl your working on, the piston is ALL THE WAY DOWN.
2. Get some cheap shaving cream (White foam kind) (NOT the gel kind) and spray it down into the cyl, filling it up.
3. You can now re-thread it if you need to and then use a small wire brush and clean the threads.
4. ALL the small bits will fall into the shaving cream and not into an empty cyl.
5. Turn the crank to get the piston to move back up to tdc(top of the cyl wall).
6. All the shaving cream with the metal shavings will get pushed out the spark plug tube.
7. You will have very little shaving cream left in the cyl BUT all the metal shavings will have came up and out when you put it at TDC. When you restart your car it will burn the left over shaving cream right away and NOT hurt your motor in any way.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard this technique works quite well, I'm a little hesitant to try it though, I have to do this to two cylinders, 3 & 4 so it would be impossible to do em both like this. I think I'm just going to stick a long thin magnet, then make an attachment on my shop vac. I figure if I blew the tip of my spark plug during a tuning session last year, with no damage, a very small shaving wont cause serious damage (I will still do my best to clean as best I can)
Old 09-30-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joey the problem with the magnet is that the head is aluminum, you can def try the shop vac attachment though. I find that microfiber towels really pick up shavings well so maybe cut a piece and attach it to something long to go down the spark plug hole and dab it to pick up the shavings; Then use the vacuum.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ will do, thanks Neema
Old 09-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Best thing I've heard to do is coat the tap real good with grease or vasoline, this will trap the shavings on the tap when you thread it back out. Remember, you're just chasing the threads and won't really be cutting much new material from the head.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:40 PM

Yup, I dunk mine in bearing grease! Good tips all around lol.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by Kyushin' timestamp='1348848066' post='22044510
NGK 2668 FTW, I change them out every oil change to be safe
wtf

I've got 80k supercharged miles on mine. Regap and go. I have a friend who is ODC also, expensive and tedious condition

Seriously you should just run coppers then.

I know, im way overzealous with preventative maintenance. I havnt found any copper heat range 8 plugs with a resistor so thats why I do that. With the new motor, I will be changing them out possibly more until the full break in is complete, along with oil samples sent to blackstone on every oil change till break in is finished.

Expensive they are, those plugs. Cheap, I have found them.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Banned

Junky, wtf are you gapping iridiums with? I have seen afew tools on ebay that make it look pretty easy, might try one of those. They come outta the box at 0.030 I believe? Tuner told me to take it down alittle more like maybe as close as 0.026?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyushin
Junky, wtf are you gapping iridiums with? I have seen afew tools on ebay that make it look pretty easy, might try one of those. They come outta the box at 0.030 I believe? Tuner told me to take it down alittle more like maybe as close as 0.026?
I gently tap the top to close the gap, and if I go a little further then I like, I have just a normal gap tool that I can gently pry up. The tool looks round, has a smaller round pry hole off to one side of it. Think I got it at O'rielys. It’s much the same as you would a normal plug, you just have to be more careful. After a lot of miles, I mean a lot of miles, essentially you will have to close the gap again. The plugs aren’t cheap so I make sure and use them. Mine seemed to be about 0.33. but as a general rule, the larger the gap you can run without spark blow out is going to perform the best. Closer gap means a more concentrated spark (preventing blow out) but it also means it doesn’t combust as thoroughly. So wider gap is better.

80k is probably stretching them a little longer then you would have to being boosted, but I spray water meth too and I think that cooler combustion temp prolongs the life. I just look at them every 10k or so and if they still look good and haven’t deteriorated to the point of compromising the regap to much then I keep them in. If they aren’t blowing out then they are working. Iridium’s last 10x longer then copper though, so I just thought it was crazy how often you changed yours. Of course I don’t know how long your oil change intervals are. I change my oil every 3k, just because it doesn’t seem to last much longer then that, and during the nice months I do that in 2 months, so that would be a lot of plug changes in a year for me.