S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Question About gauges & AEM EMS

Old 02-14-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up Question About gauges & AEM EMS

Hey guys, I have the Autometer Cobalt Boost gauge and the Air/Fuel gauge, I know the Boost is mechanical, and the Wideband I can hook up in the downpipe, but for things like Oil Pressure, or water Temp etc....... can I hook them up to the AEM EMS, or do I have to literally run them Mechanically?

I like the Autometer Cobalt gauges, any help would be appreciated........

for example this

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto+Meter/105/6927/10002/-1

I also have the A- Pillar, I was thinking about just stuffing the gauges in the corner where no one can see them, but kind of like them on the A pillar, just don't want to look too ricey

Thanks guys
Old 02-14-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mechanical gauges are kinda old school. These days we mostly use sensors and electrical connections through the firewall.

Connecting to the EMS is certainly possible but why? Unless you program in conditions (fuel cut over 20psi etc) there is not much point.

That is unless you want to run an AEM 19 in 1 Serial gauge. Then you wire in the sensor to the EMS and calibrate it to correctly convert the signal (usually 0-5V) to a parameter that makes sense such as temperature or pressure. You then add this parameter to the telemetry and configure the gauge to show that channel as you want to be displayed.

It's not as straight forward as it sounds though. I bought a AEM EGT probe and connected it to my EMS, added the parameter to my telemetry then configured my gauge only to find out it couldn't display the range of the sensor. It works, but I'm still not sure if it is showing the actual temperature of the exhaust gas or 80% of it.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:57 PM

well what I meant was, if the EMS has an outlet that sends out such information such as Oil pressure, or water temp and the gauges could magically read it if ya know what I mean?

for example on the Autometer Page it says this for the Digital Oil pressure gauge

Notes:
Includes 8 ft. tubing or wiring harness.
Includes 1/4'' NPT adapter/fitting.
LED digital display.
Features E-Z View Display System which maximizes readability and minimizes distracting high speed digit changes

so what is this wiring harness, and what do I hook it up to?
Old 02-14-2010, 02:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok, that doesn't actually make sense. The EMS doesn't know the oil pressure because the car doesn't have an oil pressure sensor. And even if it did are you expecting the AEM EMS to send out some signal that would be correctly calibrated for a range of gauges including the Autometer Cobalt series?

IF you purchase a compatible oil pressure sensor or manage to work out the calibrations for one that sends out a 0-5V signal (I have a Greddy oil pressure sender but stuffed if I can find calibration tables) then you can view the signal in the AEMPro software on a laptop or on the AEM Serial gauge. But that's all.

As for the harness mentioned, please note that it says:
'Includes 8 ft. tubing OR wiring harness.'

If your gauge came with 8ft of tubing I suspect it is mechanical. If it came with a harness I suspect it's electrical. You can T this signal off to the AEM and play with the calibrations I guess. Then you can set an ignition cut if the value drops too low but remember that when you first start the car the value is very low.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:36 PM

I see makes sense......................................... so basically its kind of huge pain in the ass.

I guess if I got an oil relocation kit it may have a sender but I dont want to go that route

Thanks though
Old 02-15-2010, 04:09 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the only way to do those things are to buy sensors, wire them to the spare inputs, then output them to the serial gauge. you use the serial gauge software to tell the gauge how to convert the voltage signal into a meaningful number.

all you would be able to log in the ems is voltage, you would have to setup aem log to use a math library to get a meaningful number from the logs.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:21 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

On this note...I'd like to get fuel pressure logged by my Kpro so I can correlate it with the rest of the data/sensors the ECU sees. Kpro only has one input (which I'm using for the wideband) so I'm pretty much screwed with that.

Joey, I think what wadzii is suggesting is your best bet. You'd just have to use the AEM serial gauge to get what you want out of it.