S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Turbo Cam shaft discussion

Old 12-21-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Cam shaft discussion

Alright guys, I wanted to start a thread about the current cam shaft choices that are available and which are going to actually make improvements. Given the overall history and discussions we are very limited to choices. When looking into a camshaft I believe that overall improvements can be made. I think a lot of the gains are going to come from a highly modified head. When using a cam that increases overall lift, if you can increase flow from working the head, knowing where you picked up flow and overall matching it with the lift points and other aspects of the camshaft should allow gains to be made. So what we have are Toda Cam shafts, Hytech, and some other turbo camshafts offered. As of lately do we know if any of the 'turbo camshafts" have made improvements either on a stock head or a head that actually flows more than stock. Given what I have seen, most modified heads actually flow @ certain lift points. For me I have Jim Stewart working my head, which worked with cosworth and TRD in the IRL as a engineer. Given what he has done, the stock heads vs his heads and other done by various people the range where flow is picked up is all over the place.

My parts list for my head includes, farrea 1mm+ valves on intake and exhaust , Copper Beryllium seats that have a throat size that in ideal for the oversize valves. Also one thing that was found was that the bronze guides were loose. Alaniz did this head the first time btw The chambers are opened up to fit the 89mm piston that I went with. So at this point I am ready to choose a camshaft ( which I will do once I have the flow data I need to see if there is anything ideal or if the stock cams are the best way to go at this time). If I do use something other than a OEM cam, I will have to install them and clay the engine to see if any material needs to come off the piston. Seems the Compression Height from the first wisecos I was going to use is a bit different. CCing the head when complete will assure the correct headgasket is used for this. So I just wanted to get some ideas together and see if I could rattle up any new information that is current. IP, if you have some camshafts available do you have some flexibility on specs. Any info would be great. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:21 PM

G/L finding cams
Old 12-21-2008, 09:54 PM

There has to be some custom grinds out there. I might have a couple places I can talk with. I know there are camshafts available, turbo that is, but what has been the story with them? Has anyone actually dynoed a set of turbo cams on a stock head and or modified head that actually has increased flow at areas that the stock camshaft cannot touch. Other than increased lift other things that are more suitable for FI what else has been created. Also if any test have been done were different variations of cam timing tried. Overall advance and retard will move the powerband ( Cam gears) and will be needed if oversized exhaust valve are used to ensure proper clearance. I know alot of this has been talked about, but what I would like to get at is if we can use enough head flow data we can find out which areas would be best optimized, mating the camshaft specifications to the actually head flow data and overall powerband wanted for the application the engine is being used for. Using that along with turbo cfm and other variables will ensure proper "mechanical tuning". Just trying to dig in a bit deeper.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:32 AM

Do you really have copper beryllium valve seats? That's awesome I didn't know anyone used those in street cars... I was planning on building my head with those as well.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ben-NSI,Dec 22 2008, 05:32 AM
Do you really have copper beryllium valve seats? That's awesome I didn't know anyone used those in street cars... I was planning on building my head with those as well.
Yup that is what I am using. Pm me if you want more info.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:56 PM

I know someone who makes a custom ground turbo cam but I'm not sure if he wants to make it public knowledge yet. I will be experimenting with it in the later stages of my build. PM me and I will give you his info. Nice set up for the head by the way.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:21 PM

The ideal camshaft, in a turbo application, will be dictated by the turbo/manifold/exhaust more than anything...
Old 12-22-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea you would almost have to grind a new cam everytime you made a major upgrade in your setup, to be optimally efficient.