The S2000 Gallery Cornucopia of sight and sound! Show your friends your S2000 photos, S2000 images, S2000 photochops and S2000 videos.

Project LM Refinish

Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Sub_Rosa,Jan 15 2008, 07:10 PM
Somebody had to put them together, so I figured I can take them apart.

I am doing just an overall cleaning of the lips and inner surfaces while taking the faces to get powdercoated something. I had a thread in late fall with some photoshops of what options I was thinking of going. I have pretty much nailed down something in the gunmetal/black chrome color. Not sure exactly until I get to the shop and look at colors.

I didn't choose the following for the following reasons:

A. Black - looks good up close, from a distance with mesh wheels they just loose their character and you can't tell what they are, plus you can buy the LM's in black.

B. Gold - A classic combo, yet again you can buy them in gold so I wanted to do something that wasn't something you will see an LM in very often.

C. Polish - It's so close to the color they are now that it wouldn't be enough of a change for me to justify doing that.

D. - Any dumb obnoxious red/blue/etc. to me is not the character of the LM, nor my taste or car. I am keeping it clean and simple.
sup bud, did you buy the wheels from galster?

i generally recommend against disassembling multi-piece wheels. those bolts are designed to be torqued once in their lifetime. i know for a fact that oz never reuses their bolts and so goes with bbs.

bbs will also never release the true torque value to you. and know that oz uses like $25K machines to apply the most accurate twist to the nuts. it's critical for run-out/balance.

but then, you don't have to worry about liability like the companies do... good luck with it. to me, the bbs lms look best in their original silver shade. when you start coloring the centers, it makes the wheel look much smaller given the stepped lip which forces you to run a smaller center than a flat lip wheel.

also, check your sources. bbs does not make LMs in black. only gold, silver and gray.

regardless, good luck. hope you are well.

best,
Old 01-15-2008, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about some pre-refinish pics of the ride? Looks great so far.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:33 PM

polished and white with gold rivets
Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

i was under the impression that they made them in black as well,....also a more limited "diamond cut" finish............is this correct.?
i know there is another berlina on the boards that has black with a silver lip.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by Dark_Sub_Rosa,Jan 15 2008, 09:31 PM
I am considering a black chrome, I just have to see what the shop has that will be doing it.
Doooooooooo it!!!!

Think Outside the Bun
Old 01-16-2008, 05:49 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:46 AM

WHITE would look good!
gold is classic and not played out
Old 01-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by WRS2K,Jan 16 2008, 01:02 AM
sup bud, did you buy the wheels from galster?

i generally recommend against disassembling multi-piece wheels. those bolts are designed to be torqued once in their lifetime. i know for a fact that oz never reuses their bolts and so goes with bbs.

bbs will also never release the true torque value to you. and know that oz uses like $25K machines to apply the most accurate twist to the nuts. it's critical for run-out/balance.

but then, you don't have to worry about liability like the companies do... good luck with it. to me, the bbs lms look best in their original silver shade. when you start coloring the centers, it makes the wheel look much smaller given the stepped lip which forces you to run a smaller center than a flat lip wheel.

also, check your sources. bbs does not make LMs in black. only gold, silver and gray.

regardless, good luck. hope you are well.

best,
Yeah, I got these from Jason before he sold the car. It was easier to just swap them from car to car in the garage instead of shipping them for him and a sweet deal for me.

I already have spoken with BBS on the phone, they did release the torque-value to me. I already have also spoken to them about the bolts. They can't recommend reusing the bolts but then they won't sell them either on the negative side. On the positive side they told me they have never heard of anyone putting them back together and having problems.

I don't have the liability of a huge company, so me assembling the wheel by hand isn't a big deal. Tons of huge companies use machines to build cars that people do everyday by hand in their garages. All the colored centers don't look any smaller to me than the silver finish. There is a guy on this forum with Black LMs from Florida, and to my knowledge he bought them that way. (Fyrestrike)

Also I have seen all Gold and all Black versions that were from BBS. Regardless I have been looking at these wheels for about three years in silver and am ready for a change in color.

On a side note, I won't do white, I hate white wheels on anything but white cars.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Former Moderator

and for the person who asked what it looked like before.

Before I got the smaller rear wing

After the shaving of the rear
Old 01-16-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dark_Sub_Rosa,Jan 16 2008, 01:01 PM
and for the person who asked what it looked like before.

Before I got the smaller rear wing

After the shaving of the rear
Dark Sub-

Wondering what suspension you are sitting on and how low you are dropped in these pictures. Have you noticed any problems with scraping on the front lip or any rubbing issues with the LM's (assuming those are the standard S2k fitments in 18")?

I will have the same wheels arriving shortly (save for the rubber being RE-01R), and am not sure how much lower I can go without destroying the front lip and rubbing. I will be running Bilstein PSS9's.

Quick Reply: Project LM Refinish