S2000 Interiors Stock or totally custom, if it's inside the cabin talk about it here.

forbidden mugen frp hardtop

Old 11-14-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forbidden mugen frp hardtop

So I just installed a brand new FRP mugen rep HT from forbidden USA. For the most part I love it, I love the way it looks, but then theres the usual problem. Driving down normal roads its fine but as soon as you get so bumpy uneven roads I get the creaking from the material flexing.

Most of the posts ive read on the forums say to grease the seals or don't bolt it down as tightly to the car. but itll still creak because the HT itself is flexing right?

So has anyone ever tried installing a layer of dynamat or other sound deadening material on the inside of the HT and then doing a suede roof liner on that? Will that muffle the creaking or is that just wishful thinking?

Just thought Id try to get the S2kI brain trust in on this one

Thanks
Old 11-14-2013, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it's worth, I just installed my RSG Mugen top. It's carbon, but I think the same principles apply. What I did was go out to any auto parts store, and bought a "bulb" style weatherstripping with self adhesive backing. I used that as my rear seal. It's thicker and raises the top off the car a bit more. I didn't tighten my top down all the way either. I don't have any creaking problems at all, and I'm on coilovers, so my car flexes a lot more than stock.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:45 AM

A healthy amount of Shinetsu grease across the entire rear seal on the hard top and the black trim on the car will pretty much take care of all squeaking. You also want to put a little bit on your window seals on the side where the window presses up against the rubber, and across the front windshield rubber. You also want to bolt it down as tightly as you can, otherwise the seals will be rubbing against the car instead of being pressed against the car and just flexing during chassis flexing.

I have also added some foam padding on my brackets, that helps eliminate the creak from the brackets rubbing against the hardtop. My OEM replica from Forbidden doesn't really make any noise anymore and seals perfectly everywhere.

Dynamat and suede on the roof will only help with road / wind noise, and that's only marginally. It may even make overall car noise worse because it would keep the transmission / diff / engine sounds inside the car.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 AM

thanks guys. I think im gonna give weasel's "bulb" weather striping a try when I get some free time and it isn't pouring buckets outside. I'm pretty sure nothing is cracking, it was perfect until I got on bumpier and poor quality road surfaces. I'll probably make a foam gasket like aeon did for the side brackets too.

thanks
Old 11-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Update....

so a seriously healthy does of white lithium grease later and the squeaks and creaks are gone except for some minor metallic squeaking, I think from the bolts and brackets rubbing.

however now im noticing that the front of the HT is really digging in on my old worn looking seal across the top of the windshield and its causing the passenger window to slightly graze the hardtop, so I think the old seal is making the HT sit a little low.

my idea is to get some thin self adhesive weather striping to put along the front of the HT to raise it up just a MM or so.

any thoughts?
Old 11-20-2013, 03:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a creaking problem when I had this top. Its like stated before its the FPR rubbing on the black trim at the base of where the soft top contacts body. Its common right behind the doors the top has alittle bit of lip to hide the weatherstrip and that piece is actually rubbing the trim. Just double the weatherstrip behind the doors until it tapers off towards the center.

Id also recommend buying at least izzy brackets. Those tin pieces that come with the top are minimum. I got all 4 izzy brackets and this top feels like its firmly attached to the car.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:56 PM

^im thinking about getting the oem replica brackets forbidden is teasing
Old 12-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Im using oem hardware and seals on my forbidden 2x carbon top. I get squeaks/creaks when driving down bumpy roads, and I notice it sits really low to the car. The oem hardware doesn't have bolts to tighten once installed, just a simple twist of a handle.