S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Best Front View Camera? Rear View Camera, Is It Necessary?

Old 07-09-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Front View Camera? Rear View Camera, Is It Necessary?

Hey guys,

I am about to buy a Front View Camera, any recommendations?

Also is a rear view camera necessary?

Cheers!
Old 07-09-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm a fan of Blackvue
I run the 650 in my S4 front and back.
I'm not running one in the s2k as I don't want any reason for someone to slice my soft top.
If I were to have one in the S2k I'd probably only run a front facing one as there doesn't seem like a very good clean mounting point - and this is probably the one I'd get -
Amazon Amazon
- or the newer version if there is one.
If you CAN run both I'd suggest that though.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I cheaped out and got the goluk for 100 bucks lmao, Not the best quality but no where near bad quality, can still read license plates no problem, but necessary? no... but worth its weight in gold when you do have an accident or even witness an accident. People now days are worthless and its hard to find a guy who admits their mistake.

Having a dash cam in the rear does more justice than a front in my opinion.... Someone hits me from the front and runs?, ill chase them down till hell, But I see a lot situations where the person who rear ends someone insists the victim car pull up the intersection and the car who caused the accident darts right on the intersection having the victim car helpless unable to u turn fast enough to catch up to them. Combo dash cams are total crap, The rear is so trash you cant rely on them to catch a license plate or even the face of who is driving. For this reason people grab two such as a goluck t1 for the front and a goluck t2 for the rear as the t1 has amazing quality and t2 is good enough for the job.

I dunno honestly I do have my dash cam facing the front and its never really helped in any situation I've got into. I always try to be alert and aware behind the wheel so I can avoid accidents like one should lol. If i end up rear ending a car its my fault and I'll pay for it., I dont really need a video recording to show me causing an accident if that makes sense... If someone hits me from the back and dips, I'm sheit outta luck, i cant read back wards letters from their license plate on a tiny side mirror and memorize them while they dip out. A video then would help out.

Theres really only a couple of scenarios where a front facing dash cam is better.. but two points of view are always better than one and they also have dash cameras for all budgets that preform just as well as name brand ones. So getting two is no problem, you can even grab two yi dash cameras for 100 bucks total and call it a day. Only down side is that they do look like gopros and chances of getting a window broken for them present themselves if you park in the public a lot for extended periods of time.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for rear camera suggestions. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a blackvue 590.. front only.. Works really great tucked neatly behind rear view mirror. Might get another one for my daily.

Just saved my ass this morning. I drove past three motorcycle cops who were having a chat hidden behind a parked car. One of them saw me pass by and yelled at me... I didn't recall what happened. It happened so quick. It's not like I was going fast. I was surprised why they yelled at me if they weren't gonna pull me over. Or perhaps they were going to pull me over and motioned me to stop, either way I wasn't comfortable that I was a potentially looking at a ticket in the mail or worse a being a fugitive

Got to my work, took a look at the footage and turns out none of them had radar dectors and were simply pointing out that there was a school zone ahead. I might have looked fast or might have surprised them coming round a blind corner... Either way, the video was useful.

NOTE: On occasion I have had near misses with dear and stuff but I forgot to take out the SD card in time and they video wrote itself over (mainly because of parking mode on). Keep that in mind when you pick the SD card size of your camera.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Using the ThinkWare F800 system, although they have newer versions with Cloud storage/access as well, which is nice.
Currently have both the front and rear camera, and while expensive, video quality is great, different sensitivity levels in parking mode, and great night vision/video as well. The system is quite expensive, but definitely covers the cost in the event of a hit-and-run from a parking lot or incidents while driving. I chose ThinkWare because of the cameras' resistance to heat degeneration since my car is parked outside in the California sun as well as the video quality/parking mode.

Only con to the system is having to use ThinkWare-approved SD cards which can get pricey, but some users have had success with other SD cards but not a big user-base to confirm the compatibility.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:28 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by spontaneous123
Using the ThinkWare F800 system, although they have newer versions with Cloud storage/access as well, which is nice.
Currently have both the front and rear camera, and while expensive, video quality is great, different sensitivity levels in parking mode, and great night vision/video as well. The system is quite expensive, but definitely covers the cost in the event of a hit-and-run from a parking lot or incidents while driving. I chose ThinkWare because of the cameras' resistance to heat degeneration since my car is parked outside in the California sun as well as the video quality/parking mode.

Only con to the system is having to use ThinkWare-approved SD cards which can get pricey, but some users have had success with other SD cards but not a big user-base to confirm the compatibility.
I have an F750 F&R, flashed to the F770 firmware. Fwiw, I use a 128 GB SanDisk MicroSD that I had purchased from Costco (in Canada), it's cheap and it works great! Of course YMMV, but hey, Costco has a great return policy. :P
Old 09-26-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

If you figure out a way to mount a rear camera in the S that works with the top up or down, please share where and how you mounted it.
Old 09-27-2018, 02:30 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by na2king
Looking for rear camera suggestions. Thanks!
I bought a video WiFi transmitter and a compatible back up camera off of AlliExpress for, like, $30 shipped and a video camera for, like, $5 there and mounted it to my car about 7-8 years ago where it's worked flawlessly. I wired the power to the system to my lighting so that I only turn it on when the light switch is set to park. The image is sent to my iPhone mounted on the dash via WiFi.

The camera is mounted just above the license plate on the rear. I'll take a photo if needed.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I shopped for dashcams, I initially considered BlackVue based on positive reviews. However, I opted for a more cost-efficient option: Mini 0906. It's a 2-channel setup, and you can run it with or without the rear. I currently run this in my Tacoma as it's my daily, but I'm considering one for my S2000.

The user-interface is a bit confusing at first, but manageable. The only real issue I have with it is that the speed reading intermittently displays as "0 MPH" even though I am in motion.