S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Custom Intake with Pics

Old 11-01-2012, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PuristDriver
Originally Posted by Gernby' timestamp='1351700340' post='22120652
I would bet that you actually increased the IAT's, unless you sealed up the opening that you cut for the hose.
What's the best way to log the IATs?
There are multiple ways that I know and I'm sure other members can add to this if I miss one:The Torque App is probably the cheapest and easiest to use. It shows live data by sending information from the OBDII plug to your phone or other blue tooth enabled device. I also believe you can log your data (export). An aftermarket EMS will run you 1k+, possibly under if you buy used. Scangauge, seems to have been replaced by torque app. It seems to do everything the Scangauge does but for pennies.

For the record, I also agree with Gernby on this. I, myself, have tested under-hood temps extensively. I have mounds of data that conclude one thing. If you are going to modify, add, or replace anything related to the intake you have to ensure the following things are done or addressed:
  • It's sealed off from the engine bay
  • It's not highly susceptible to additional heat soak (being heated up via convection) This in turn makes your air box a little mini oven that heats up air as it passes threw it.
  • It's pulling air from a place that is cool and (recommended) not under water
  • It's getting air from a place that has enough of it and won't starve
There are other important factors but most of them are related to replacing the actual tubing. It doesn't seem like you are at that point yet.

What you did is fine if you seal off the box. Use some caulking and seal that baby up.

TL;DR Download Torque App & buy OBDII plug so it can pull information.

Good luck,
--Matt
Old 11-01-2012, 06:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The important thing to consider is that the intake is sucking in air WAY faster than it would naturally flow through any ducting that you add. If the ducting isn't sealed to the intake, then there won't be any suction acting on the duct, so there won't be a significant amount of flow through the duct. For example, if you just hold a straw in front of your mouth while breathing, virtually zero of the air you breath is going to actually flow through that straw. However, if you seal your lips around that straw, all of your breath will be forced to go through the straw.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I agree sealing it is important but also he still has that front opening as a inlet. I would think the quantity of air needed would be the same as the intake tube
Old 11-03-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattstryfe
Originally Posted by PuristDriver' timestamp='1351749573' post='22122271
[quote name='Gernby' timestamp='1351700340' post='22120652']
I would bet that you actually increased the IAT's, unless you sealed up the opening that you cut for the hose.
What's the best way to log the IATs?
There are multiple ways that I know and I'm sure other members can add to this if I miss one:The Torque App is probably the cheapest and easiest to use. It shows live data by sending information from the OBDII plug to your phone or other blue tooth enabled device. I also believe you can log your data (export). An aftermarket EMS will run you 1k+, possibly under if you buy used. Scangauge, seems to have been replaced by torque app. It seems to do everything the Scangauge does but for pennies.

For the record, I also agree with Gernby on this. I, myself, have tested under-hood temps extensively. I have mounds of data that conclude one thing. If you are going to modify, add, or replace anything related to the intake you have to ensure the following things are done or addressed:
  • It's sealed off from the engine bay
  • It's not highly susceptible to additional heat soak (being heated up via convection) This in turn makes your air box a little mini oven that heats up air as it passes threw it.
  • It's pulling air from a place that is cool and (recommended) not under water
  • It's getting air from a place that has enough of it and won't starve
There are other important factors but most of them are related to replacing the actual tubing. It doesn't seem like you are at that point yet.

What you did is fine if you seal off the box. Use some caulking and seal that baby up.

TL;DR Download Torque App & buy OBDII plug so it can pull information.

Good luck,
--Matt
[/quote]

Thanks a lot for the reply Matt. It's very helpful. Just curious, what OBD2 plug have you had the most success with.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:10 AM

The cheap ones seem hit or miss. My friend bought this one:

Amazon - Soliport ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner

His motto is, " you cant go wrong with a $15 part".

I based my decision to purchase the same one off the reviews I read on Amazon. In fact, I base all my purchases online from user feedback (Amazon, Newegg, etc.) Having said that, the reviews seem pretty consistent, which is reassuring. Some people go to amazon to complain about items they purchase on Ebay.

Two friends of mine have been using these devices religiously for the past year or so with zero problems. Mine will be arriving tomorrow.

--Matt
Old 11-17-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the recommendation. I just received my ODB2 BT scanner from Amazon paired up with the Torque app (free version). So far, it's working fine and the UI is pretty easy to interact with. I did some light logging of the intake temps earlier and am getting about 150F on idle and about 120F when I'm driving around town using the new intake setup. Do you have some baseline intake temp measurements for a stock intake setup? As for measuring benefits without a dyno, I'm guessing the focus should be on the MAF rate or the intake manifold pressure. Any thoughts on this?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:45 PM

Those temps are pretty high.

Here's my thread regarding temps (w/ comments)

IMO the goal should be ambient or slightly above @ at times. Of course heat soak or creep that comes from the actual head will effect the intake manifold itself and thus heating up the air that passes threw it a little. However, the incoming air should cool of the manifold once you start moving or get on the throttle.

At the end of the day, Ambient is my goal. I am on my way to getting there. The hard way, but nonetheless; achievable.

good luck.

--Matt