S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Tail Light Condensation

Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkt1rod,Nov 29 2010, 10:09 AM
I have this same problem but with my passenger side head light it annoys me everyday I'm kinda afraid to open it up though I don't wanna break anything ...wonder if i can do the same and just heat it up then put sealant around it
you can safely bake and seperate the headlights. i have done it. it is a PITA, but you can do it. you can find the directions for this here.
warning! not fun!

the tail lights i have heard are different. i dont think you want to seperate those. i too had the condensation happen to me just the other day. so im glad i came across this thread. i think i will try resealing my tail like the other guy did here.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a dead spider in my pass side tail. No guts to take it apart to get the poor bastid out of there so I guess I can say I have an S2000 Spider LOL.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:53 PM

yeah just brought it to dealership, told 'em to fix it, covered under warranty.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:17 PM

I had condensation and a lot of dirt inside mine when I purchased my used 06. I opened the taillight, by baking at around 220 F for a few minutes. It wasn't a big deal and went back together with no issues.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 PM

AP2 tail lights have a little opening under the LED assembly that will let moisture in, very common for these to condensate.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by swifbboy,Nov 30 2010, 11:54 AM
you can safely bake and seperate the headlights. i have done it. it is a PITA, but you can do it. you can find the directions for this here.
warning! not fun!

the tail lights i have heard are different. i dont think you want to seperate those. i too had the condensation happen to me just the other day. so im glad i came across this thread. i think i will try resealing my tail like the other guy did here.
Yeah thanks I'm gonna try and figure this out this weekend see what happens
Old 12-01-2010, 06:09 PM

Ok, so i think i got this figured out. First off, the casing is not sealed, the back has areas that are open to atmosphere. So instead of separating the casing, i just took apart the back of the case and poured in some windex.

After shushing it around, i drained out the excess through a little screw hole on the lateral aspect of the casing, then put it in the over at 200F(on top of a piece of cardboard)for about 10 minutes to get rid of the excess. Warming up the casing also let me push and squeeze on the clear part of the casing to help reseat it in the black sealant.

When i was looking at what part of the casing was exposed to water, the only spot was on the superior aspect right where the trunk water runoff flowed. So I went ahead and added a very thin coat of clear silicone to this section to prevent a recurrence. I have been waxing the car today, and have had a significant amount of water hitting the area without an issue.

At the same time i noticed the other light had a bunch of dust in it, so i repeated the procedure for that light as well.

I will keep you all posted to see how long this fix last, but as of now, they look new again!!!

Jared
Old 12-01-2010, 06:26 PM

Received 3,389 Likes on 2,460 Posts

Originally Posted by Millions,Dec 1 2010, 11:09 PM
Ok, so i think i got this figured out. First off, the casing is not sealed, the back has areas that are open to atmosphere. So instead of separating the casing, i just took apart the back of the case and poured in some windex.

After shushing it around, i drained out the excess through a little screw hole on the lateral aspect of the casing, then put it in the over at 200F(on top of a piece of cardboard)for about 10 minutes to get rid of the excess. Warming up the casing also let me push and squeeze on the clear part of the casing to help reseat it in the black sealant.

When i was looking at what part of the casing was exposed to water, the only spot was on the superior aspect right where the trunk water runoff flowed. So I went ahead and added a very thin coat of clear silicone to this section to prevent a recurrence. I have been waxing the car today, and have had a significant amount of water hitting the area without an issue.

At the same time i noticed the other light had a bunch of dust in it, so i repeated the procedure for that light as well.

I will keep you all posted to see how long this fix last, but as of now, they look new again!!!

Jared
I think that is where the seepage occurs as I had water only in the very right side of my tailight, likely getting a source of water from the trunk runoff area like you discovered. I sealed the entire perimeter and clip holes just to be safe and I wasn't sure where the water was coming from at the time.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 AM

So I went ahead and followed through with my plan and sure enough there was a few gaps in the sealant. Pulling it apart was a pain the glue dry's so quick had to put it in the oven a couple times before I could pry it apart BUT it was well worth it this morning there was morning dew all over the car but not in the head light where it usually fogs up made sure I put a lot of sealant around it now so I should be good Overall very happy now I can look at it and not be annoyed I still want to do some headlight restoration for the outside of both headlights though any suggestions?
Old 12-08-2010, 11:36 AM

I have put the car through multiple washes since i fixed my lights and have not had an issue. So i would recommend using the method i posted above first since i didn't have to actually go through the mess of pulling the lights apart.