S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Tanabe Concept G vs HKS

Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Tanabe Concept G vs HKS

Can you guys give me a little comparison of the two?

How do they compare tone wise? Volume/loudness wise? Weight wise? Material quality wise? etc.

Do the either or both have a drone? How bad is it?

Lastly, which one would you suggest and why?

In case you're wondering I'm looking for a dual with a deep tone, but not too ridiculous loud and that I can afford (I'll be buying used).
Ideally I'd get a SuperSprint but that's obviously out of my price range.

Thanks,
-TerminatioN
Old 04-10-2009, 08:29 AM

No one?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I have a concept G and I have seen hear the HKS. The Tanbe is much better quality in construction, material and sounds all the way around. I consider the HKS a budget exuast in comparison. Tanabe is top notch, will last you forever. I always get compliments on the sound, its really nice with a test pipe, no droan at all. just a nice expensive sounding deaper smooth tone down low and then with vtec and higher rpms it unleashes with some bite wile still retaining its smooth character. Its a very dinamic sounding exuast. With an sc it sounds like a bike in the upper range.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard the Concept G has really bad drone, could be wrong though.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:29 PM

How does an exhaust sound expensive? I think you're basing most of what you said on the price difference between the two.

Both are great exhausts although I prefer the sound of the HKS a bit more. You don't buy Duals for this car and expect power, should strictly be looked at for an improvement in sound.

The HKS like any exhaust does drone in the 3K RPM range but as soon as you pass that it's gone. Also it's one of the more tolerable exhausts on the freeway because around 4K RPM, engine noise/everything else does a good job in covering up the HKS.

I personally don't understand how some owners can tolerate the drone of some exhausts for this car (Invidia) because after 10 minutes of driving it made me go insane.

Anyway to sum it up for the HKS:

-It weighs slightly less than stock.
-Overall throughout the RPM range it has a nice deep tone, down low it's a lot like stock but amplified but once you get going you can easily distinguish it.
-It's one of the quieter exhausts according to members, I personally believe it's a perfect balance, not TOO loud to attract unwanted attention and not too quiet. I've driven in front of plenty of cops and they've never messed with me (SoCal)
-The build quality itself is perfectly acceptable if not great, nothing to complain about there.

Here is the only video on this forum I've found that accuratly portrays what the HKS sounds like although this one includes a test pipe which makes it slightly louder.:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v299/was...ExhaustComp.flv

Hopefully someone can chime in about the Tanabe.
Old 05-02-2009, 12:21 PM

Thanks Abdizzle. That helped a lot. It appears I'll be going with the HKS.

Plus I found a dynamite deal on a used one. No need to pay more than twice as much for the Tanabe...
Old 05-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HKS for sure.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:43 PM

I've never heard the Tanabe Concept G but so far I know of no one who wasn't at least somewhat happy with the HKS Hi-Power dual. I bought my car with it on, went through 3 more exhausts and I'm right back where I started and couldn't be happier .

If you want the HKS to sound more aggressive while still keeping drone low, look at the Greddy Ti-C vs. HKS Hi-Power thread towards the end and it shows how some members cut off the second resonator in the back. I'm contemplating doing that myself.

The HKS sounds great, not too loud but not too quiet, minimal drone, and I've seen them sell for $350-$500 used in the forums.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-2009, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HKS.

Like people have said above, its the perfect balance. By no means its quiet, specially with a test pipe. Its quiet when you want it to be quie, and its loud when you want it to be loud.

here is a quick clip of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Abor-PO8qw (listen more towards the end)
Old 05-03-2009, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only thing i didn't like about the HKS was the tips, so i welded my AP2 tips back on - now, it's perfect.

Quick Reply: Tanabe Concept G vs HKS