S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Canton pan thoughts here

Old 06-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Canton pan thoughts here

The Canton pan was born out of a need for track S2000s to have additional oil starve protection above and beyond the Accusump (that Canton also makes).

It was David's efforts at staying on Canton to build and produce the pans.

The first run of pans is complete and now the pan is commercially available.

Due to site rules regarding sales and vendors, the original thread will be closed as it falls into a gray area of sponsorship / nonsponsorship now that the pans are commercially available.

So like any other racing product with reviews and criticism, without vested interest or plugging a particular source for purchasing the product (the pan will be resold through different distributors as I understand it and advertising a specific distributor would require sponsorship), please post general impressions, pitfalls, criticisms, etc here as a general review of the product rather than specific purchasing information.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Former Moderator

I had mine installed and I'm going to have to be careful to not drag the bottom on the trailer pulling out... it's a little low.

So far, no leaks. Haven't been out on track with it yet though. I appreciate the extra insurance.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Does it hang lower than stock?
Old 06-04-2014, 12:06 PM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

My pan came in last week? but I have not even opened the box.

Whether the pan is good, bad or indifferent, I wanted to thank David for his efforts in this regard. If the pan is a bust, which I tend to doubt, it will not be be on his head as far as I am concerned.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Does it hang lower than stock?
I feel like it does a little by the informal eyeball test. Depending on the angle, it seems like it could catch a corner on a high curb sideways and not necessarily as protected by the under subrame bar.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
If the pan is a bust, which I tend to doubt, it will not be be on his head as far as I am concerned.
For sure. He doesn't work for Canton and any engineering or design issues should be directed back to the engineers / design team at Canton.

I was pretty happy that Josserman was able to test and log pressures. Makes me feel better that we won't detect some major design failure.

I'm always wary of beta testing new products because stuff usually pops up. But I feel better that it's being designed by a company that has made these types of things before.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:30 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

dsddcd installed his pan last week to make a track day this past weekend and yesterday he mentioned that his catch can had much less oil in it after the track day.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:37 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

My gripes.

-Dowel pines are not used. These make installation alot easier
1/2in npt above pan drain plug is not at the correct angle. It should be level with the engine bottom not with the bottom of the pan.

Positive
The obvious added insurance and increased capacity
Magnetic oil drain
It fits and works as it should
Looks pretty even though nobody can see it.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2014, 01:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got mine as well, and it looks nice. I just realized that about the port above the drain--that's kind of disappointing.

Some concerns, curious if anyone has good ideas to test them: the oil pan provides some stiffness to the tranmsission mount. With the stock part, the engine and trans are one solid circumferential attachment. This pan greatly reduces the leverage--hard to know of it matters. If it looks really sketchy, I'll make some stiffeners to rejoin the two parts.

Secondly--without the windage tray, there's nothing keeping oil in the front of the pan from sloshing up onto the crank. I'm worried this is going to lead to some frothing after lots of hard braking. Any reason why I can't just extend the canton baffle plate foward to protect the crank?

Edit://unfounded criticisms aside-- thanks canton and David for getting this done!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Also. I noticed during installation that the rubber stop on the front of the oil pan had to be removed. It gave me alot of vibration throughout the entire car at certain rpms.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Canton pan thoughts here