S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Canton pan thoughts here

Old 06-04-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
My pan came in last week? but I have not even opened the box.

Whether the pan is good, bad or indifferent, I wanted to thank David for his efforts in this regard. If the pan is a bust, which I tend to doubt, it will not be be on his head as far as I am concerned.

Originally Posted by CKit
Originally Posted by blueosprey90' timestamp='1401912361' post='23189886
If the pan is a bust, which I tend to doubt, it will not be be on his head as far as I am concerned.
For sure. He doesn't work for Canton and any engineering or design issues should be directed back to the engineers / design team at Canton.

I was pretty happy that Josserman was able to test and log pressures. Makes me feel better that we won't detect some major design failure.

I'm always wary of beta testing new products because stuff usually pops up. But I feel better that it's being designed by a company that has made these types of things before.

Originally Posted by thepoi
I got mine as well, and it looks nice.
Edit://unfounded criticisms aside-- thanks canton and David for getting this done!
Thanks guys. I want to thank all of you guys as well. We couldn't have gotten it done without you guys, and without Jeff at Canton. He believed in it as well, and was all for it as soon as I asked him about it when I called Canton one day asking about installing my Accusump. He could have just as easily blew me off when I asked about it.

Jeff tells me he's getting the track bug again and is thinking about buying a S2000. So, if you see him pop up on this forum, lets all help him out, as we usually do for all owners. And, if any of you guys ever travel near Canton in North Branford, CT, please drop by and say thanks to him. If it's at the end of the day, offer to buy him a beer!!

I'm looking forward to hearing about everybody's install. And I'd like to hear from a few more people about how much oil it took to fill it.

My biggest hope is that this pan saves someone from losing an engine to oil starvation. I just wish is was available two engines and about $8000 ago!!
Old 06-04-2014, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by CKit
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1401906406' post='23189736
Does it hang lower than stock?
I feel like it does a little by the informal eyeball test. Depending on the angle, it seems like it could catch a corner on a high curb sideways and not necessarily as protected by the under subrame bar.
Interesting....but this is exactly why Canton usually makes their pans from steel. Far, far more impact resistant than Al.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by thepoi
dly--without the windage tray, there's nothing keeping oil in the front of the pan from sloshing up onto the crank. I'm worried this is going to lead to some frothing after lots of hard braking. Any reason why I can't just extend the canton baffle plate foward to protect the crank?

Edit://unfounded criticisms aside-- thanks canton and David for getting this done!
Interesting...I'll ask Jeff. But, considering the amount of splashing that could occur with the Canton pan and no OE windage tray vs. the OE pan with windage tray, I think were still way better off than before.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only leak I have had so far is from the drain plug. I just loosened it and re-tightened tonight so we will see if that stopped the leak. Copper crush washers are usually phenomenal for sealing...
Old 06-05-2014, 02:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live an hour away from Canton, and since I was just finishing my build as the pan was being finalized it made sense to use my car as the test car for the pan.

So it's been at least 2 months and 4 track days that I've had the pan on my car, and no issues at all. I regularly log oil pressure and there have not been any bidg unsafe drops, albeit I haven't hit a track with a super aggressive sweeping turn yet. Very happy with pan, and having met the guys at Canton, even more comfortable with their expertise and support!
Old 06-05-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Also. I noticed during installation that the rubber stop on the front of the oil pan had to be removed. It gave me alot of vibration throughout the entire car at certain rpms.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
Has anyone else experiencing this vibration? RAIN H8R what RPM does it being to resonate?
Old 06-05-2014, 06:59 AM

Received 119 Likes on 95 Posts

I guess I'm not sure how the rubber stop will cause vibration as it's purpose is for keeping the motor from moving too far forward under braking. There should be space between the stock oil pan and that stopper. I have Innovative motor and transmission mounts, so that stop isn't even doing anything for me.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:06 AM

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by josserman
I live an hour away from Canton, and since I was just finishing my build as the pan was being finalized it made sense to use my car as the test car for the pan.

So it's been at least 2 months and 4 track days that I've had the pan on my car, and no issues at all. I regularly log oil pressure and there have not been any bidg unsafe drops, albeit I haven't hit a track with a super aggressive sweeping turn yet. Very happy with pan, and having met the guys at Canton, even more comfortable with their expertise and support!
Do you have control data for oil pressure/temp numbers? Interested in seeing the difference between the control and test.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
I guess I'm not sure how the rubber stop will cause vibration as it's purpose is for keeping the motor from moving too far forward under braking. There should be space between the stock oil pan and that stopper. I have Innovative motor and transmission mounts, so that stop isn't even doing anything for me.

That rubber stop should not normally make contact with the engine.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven
Originally Posted by josserman' timestamp='1401962627' post='23190718

Do you have control data for oil pressure/temp numbers? Interested in seeing the difference between the control and test.
unfortunately not

Quick Reply: Canton pan thoughts here