S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: Which LSD unit have you used and do you recommend?
Cusco RS (coil spring engagement, clutch, 1.5 way, 100% lock)
11.82%
Cusco MZ (Bellevue washer engage, clutch, 1.5 way, 100%)
0%
OS Giken (Bellevue washer engagement, clutch 1.5 way, 100%)
39.09%
Carbonetics (Bellevue washer engagement, clutch, 1.5 way, 100%)
9.09%
Kaaz (similar to Cusco MZ, clutch, 1.5, 100%)
15.45%
Torsen stock (non-clutch)
12.73%
Torsen Quaife (non-clutch)
11.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Which LSD Unit Do You Recommend

Old 12-19-2008, 07:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrsideways,Dec 19 2008, 08:18 AM
Were they at least Blonde?
LOL, Be carefull my wife might read this forum.

Peter
Old 12-20-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by T3S2000,Dec 19 2008, 10:53 AM
True, but in AutoX a a few tenths can be the difference between 1st and also ran. On the track a few tenths here a few tenths there and now you are talking about real time.

Peter

Who spent a whole test day on his back changing out smoking hot pumpkins.
Good times
Old 12-23-2008, 05:59 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Can Someone scan this article. I don't think my GRM is coming this month. NASA membership hasn't kicked in I guess.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by T3S2000,Dec 19 2008, 09:53 AM
True, but in AutoX a a few tenths can be the difference between 1st and also ran. On the track a few tenths here a few tenths there and now you are talking about real time.

Peter

Tell me about it. I lost the 2006 WDCR SCCA AS overall season championship because I was 8/100 of a second behind a fellow competitor during the Sept event (who got a rerun due to a slow running worker ).

8/100 of a second at one event cost me the season.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by T3S2000,Dec 19 2008, 07:53 AM

Peter

Nevermind the fact that any issues seen in the T3 car would be exacerbated in one making as much power as Stanford's. I would have a hard time believing any torque-biasing diff would be worthwhile with his setup. Keeping the inside rear loaded in auto-x type maneuvers with the size of the tires he is running would be very difficult, and with that much power, he needs something that will give him 100% positive lock on the throttle.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T3S2000,Dec 19 2008, 07:53 AM

Peter

Good article.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by alvanderp' date='Dec 23 2008, 10:13 AM
Nevermind the fact that any issues seen in the T3 car would be exacerbated in one making as much power as Stanford's. I would have a hard time believing any torque-biasing diff would be worthwhile with his setup. Keeping the inside rear loaded in auto-x type maneuvers with the size of the tires he is running would be very difficult, and with that much power, he needs something that will give him 100% positive lock on the throttle.
What are you talking about? This is a general list and IDK about T3.

The stock torsen works very well for street and track, and less so for AX. It is very forgiving and works superbly in the rain and on on sand/light snow. The ramp up characteristics with a good fluid on the R would be a very good compromise for the vast majority of people on the list.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by INTJ' date='Dec 24 2008, 03:46 PM

The stock torsen works very well for street and track, and less so for AX. It is very forgiving and works superbly in the rain and on on sand/light snow. The ramp up characteristics with a good fluid on the R would be a very good compromise for the vast majority of people on the list.
Drew & I have both driven my car with the boost lowered to 14 PSI, and consensus is the thing's like a dog on a tile floor when it comes to tight sections with the torsen. Appreciate Drew for chiming in as the thread has both general and specific relevancy for folks who are considering clutch-type diffs, especially relevant north of 400 RWHP in autocross.

I had a clutch type diff (Cusco RS 1.5 way set on 100% lock) in my car for one event and the difference was impressive. Really helped put the power down earlier on corner exit and didn't seem to push. Additionally, $trelnieks and McKee both run Kaaz 1.5s in their FD RX7s; when they could just as easily buy Quaife Torsens. I'm looking forward to the OS Giken being installed in my PMR diff, since the reputation is that it will be even smoother transitioning to/from lock than the RS I had.

I didn't mind the RS for the record. It popped like the newly-freshened 12-bolt posi in my '69 Z/28 when cold, but once you were backed out of the garage / circulated some oil through the diff, it was barely noticeable. Actually had a kind of charm to it... similar to "off road use only" solid-lifter roller cams ground on 106 degree lobe separation pushing .640 lift. A little character when outside its designed envelope, but once in its element, absolutely grinworthy.

Stanford
Old 12-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by stantaur' date='Dec 24 2008, 10:32 PM
Drew & I have both driven my car with the boost lowered to 14 PSI, and consensus is the thing's like a dog on a tile floor
I don't know what that means. Your car rolls around and licks its genitalia?
Old 12-25-2008, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by INTJ' date='Dec 24 2008, 01:46 PM

T3 is a Road Racing class with the SCCA, T3 S2000's aren't allowed much modifications over a stock car. My point was that if the OS Giken offered a few tenths on a short tight course over the stock torsen with a car that makes alot less power and runs smaller tires than Stanford's, that his car would likely see a larger discrepancy.

Autocross puts different loads on the car than road racing or street driving does. It is very easy to unload the inside rear tire enough to make the torsen light it up, especially when you are running very wide sticky tires and alot of power. I am not incinuating all torque-biasing diffs are bad, just that they would be bad for Stanford's application.

Quick Reply: Which LSD Unit Do You Recommend