S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

My epic brake thread

Old 08-16-2017, 08:11 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I will however be tossing in another variable by throwing on a front SBG AP racing kit. I picked it up new from another member with the idea of tossing it on next season, but it just looks way too awesome and I can't wait that long. So in addition to reporting back with "data" on my setup now I will be reporting on how well this kit works. I can say that it looks pretty awesome and I had to make a call into SBG with a couple questions to which they provided great customer service. For the record my dealings with Patrick at Urge was also top notch. I think we are very lucky to have a couple of great shops that are just as passionate about tracking these cars as we are and they really strive to continue to raise the bar on products for our cars. SBG was totally on board with me combining their BBK with Urge rear rotors and I will happily report back how it goes.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:02 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

To confirm before the Urge rotors, with R10/R8 pads you're rears wore faster or equal to fronts before wihtout the Urge vented disc?

Just asking as I went straight to the same setup (Urge rears, R10/R8) and I've burn through a set of fronts and rears are about half worn. Would be shocked if the Urge made that huge of a difference but cool to know.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
To confirm before the Urge rotors, with R10/R8 pads you're rears wore faster or equal to fronts before wihtout the Urge vented disc?

Just asking as I went straight to the same setup (Urge rears, R10/R8) and I've burn through a set of fronts and rears are about half worn. Would be shocked if the Urge made that huge of a difference but cool to know.
hmmm, that is great info to compare my experience to! I would say before the URGE setup I was going through fronts at about 25% faster at least. Based on this past weekend and peaking between the caliper/disc it seems the rear/front wore the same perhaps even faster rear wear, but I will confirm.

My thought was the rears were not wearing because they were not working as well, the disc was heating and causing the pads to glaze and possibly not wear, which would also contribute to increased front wear, but that is just me guessing. I will say at a minimum the URGE setup is lighter, has to run cooler, and should transfer much less heat to the wheel hub. As far as pad wear who knows.

How many track hours hours are you getting from your setup and what type of track?

Last edited by bgoetz; 08-16-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
How many track hours hours are you getting from your setup and what type of track?
Ok very rough estimate but for the front 5 track days at 2 hours per day so roughly 10 hours across 4 different tracks (Pitt Race, Gingerman, Road America, & Blackhawk farms). Blackhawk is rough on brakes. I would say the rest are medium. During this time I was still learning the S and in the case of Pitt Race I was learning the track. I would not be surprised if this next time around I get 1 fewer day out of the fronts as I'll be pushing the car harder. I did put some brake air guides so that will be another variable, as seen here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-br...uides-1176272/
Old 08-16-2017, 12:53 PM

Ok, that is what I estimated I would get based on Mid-Ohio and Pitt Race, but after this past weekend I am at over 10hrs and still have a good amount of pad left. The last 4hrs were using the rear URGE, but they were on a low demand track. Truthfully I would love to try this setup at Mid-Ohio in a couple of weeks, but I can't stare at my BBK any longer!!
Old 08-20-2017, 06:50 AM

I measured pads and after 5hrs on a track that is light on braking (total of 10hrs now), there is only a minimal change in pad wear front and rear. Even on a light braking track I will say I got more pad life than expected.

I may not get the BBK on for my next event, in which case I should have some additional feedback on this setup.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I was hoping to get more feedback on the stock front and urge rears, it's an interesting combo
Old 08-21-2017, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
I was hoping to get more feedback on the stock front and urge rears, it's an interesting combo
You may, I may not get the BBK on before the next event. So far I am going to say it helps reduce pad wear and to me it feels more consistent late into a session. I think the URGE with a Giro disc front may be a good inexpensive solution on a stock setup. Had I not got such a great deal on my AP kit I may have gone that route.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:15 PM

I installed the BBK and removed/measured the pads. Based on my measurements I have no noticeable rear pad wear, the URGE rears seem to have really improved this. The fronts are measuring out at just under 50%, so very minimal wear. Again the track was a low brake demand track. My gut says that this setup does improve both front and rear pad wear, more rear than front. How much is the question. I am thinking at the rate I was going I would have got 12hrs on the full OEM setup and had to do front rotors and all new pads. I am betting based on how my rotors looked after 24hrs I would have had to do fronts again, all new pads, and rear rotors. With the URGE setup and keep in mind this is a wild a$$ guess, I am thinking pads life may have been extended to 16hrs front 18hrs rear and rotor life 12hrs front say 48hrs rear.

To do this right I should have waited for the BBK, but I didn't. So the kit is installed and I am going to try Ferodo DS2500 pads. To save you searching the DS2500 pad is NOT a track pad it is a hybrid track/Street like the HP+. The reason I want to try this before going with something more aggressive is that this is all about economics (plus they came with the kit). If I can get away with a cheaper pad that I don't need to ever swap out and that is easier on rotors then why not? Remember I don't chase time, I am just having fun. That said I won't tolerate these things going up in a stinky burnt mess halfway through my sessions, so make no mistakes if they don't do what I want they are gone!

So my initial impressions based on some spirited street driving. So far the brakes feel awesome an certainly seem to slow the car much faster than even my race pads on OEM. The braking itself however is the biggest difference and I think one that will take a bit of getting use to. The OEM on race pads I could really go after the brake and use the ABS. I didn't have a ton of modulation between 0 and 60%, some modulation between 60-75% and after that the brake was basically an on/off switch. The new setup has way more modulation throughout the entire range, most notably that 0-60% and then the 75-100%. The modulation from 0-60% is nice and will really allow me to truelly brush the brakes, however initially it feels odd almost a soft pedal feel. The modulation from 75-100% is what will take some practice because now it is easy to roll into locking the front wheels. You can feel the modulation at the higher percentage and keep thinking more is going to slow you faster and then the fronts lock. This has also caused ABS to engage slightly after that lock. If I were to describe the new demand, the brake pedal must now be treated like there is a tennis ball under it and I am trying to compress the ball, not just pop it out with one big effort. Additionally, too much compression and the ball still flies out. Before the ball was a square.

Keep in mind these are different pads than I have ever used and not on a track with hot tires, so on the track and then dialing in the pads could change a lot. Overall it certainly slows faster and has much more modulation throughout the entire pedal though. As far as bias I do feel the extra front bias as noted by the fronts locking now, so at this point I would not recommend staggering to a lesser rear pad with this setup.

I will update after this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails My epic brake thread-img_2577.jpg  

Last edited by bgoetz; 08-30-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:27 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

What size are your front RPF1s?